• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does religion interest you?

Daemon Sophic

I was just curious the reasons people show and express interest in religion. If you can, please explain this. Thanks.
To try to understand the motivations, world-views, and level of basic understanding held by the people around me (i.e. - fellow voters and citizens, as well as people of other nations).
That is to say, “What the blazes are y’all even thinking!?!?!”

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I was just curious the reasons people show and express interest in religion. If you can, please explain this. Thanks.
Not sure I can generalize...I myself am interested because I've had experiences in my life that seem related to the concepts people call 'religion.' I'm most interested in hearing about people's experiences--the experience itself, not what people think it is and what they think it means. Just describe it...that's what I like to hear about...

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's often used as a club to get others to fall in line with specific beliefs, and I'm here to show its supporters the error of their ways. :D

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well, one thing I feel is important to point out.
The "you" in the thread title is a tiny and completely self selected group. I'm pretty sure my college fraternity had more active members that RF has non-theist active members.

In real life almost none of have any real interest in religion. The only time we even notice is when religious folks try to shove their religious ethics down our throats. From marriage equality to the Pledge of Allegiance to wars, that happens quite a lot.

Other than that, personally, I find humans fascinating. Religion is a big part of the human situation, so I find it interesting. And because it's such a pervasive influence I feel like it's my duty to criticize it. I wouldn't bother as much if religious people did that for themselves. But, by and large, they conspicuously avoid that. They mostly gather in groups, whether church or internet forums, where their basic beliefs won't get questioned much less challenged. With a zillion individual congregations, one can almost always find one that won't mention you're worst tendencies or characteristics.

So, I just here to help people get more familiar with what they believe on the subject of religion and religious ethics.

Because that's just the cross God gave me to bear.
Tom

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

IMO religion is too often a vehicle that promotes ignorance and fuzzy thinking. We're not going to survive if there is too much ignorance and fuzzy thinking in the mix.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
It's been a factor in most of my life, and it's still a factor in my family's lives as well. It's interesting to learn about certain religious ideas and perspectives, and their roots as well. I'm a big history nerd. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Kind of fascinated by religion's ability to influence/motivate people in their actions/choices.

Sometimes that influence is good, sometimes bad. Logically, IMO, the influence shouldn't exist at all, but it does. So what is it about the human psyche that makes religion so influential?

lukethethird

unknown member
Why does religion interest you?

I don't know, it's something like slowing down to gawk at a train wreck as we drive past.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Religion pervades all our cultures and history. It plays a part in explaining who we are. It affects how different members of society see the world and hence how they respond to one another and to ideas. At the personal level, religion has an influence on identity, sense of community, aesthetic experience and psychological wellbeing.

My particular interests in religion are in reconciling it with the science that has been my passion since boyhood, reconciling the different religions I have encountered in my travels during my working life, and in the inspiration religion has given to music through the centuries, as I am a choral singer.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have two main reasons I am interested in religion, religious ideas, and the history of religion.

First, it is a uniquely (as far as we can tell) human endeavor that appears to be universal. As such, it provides insights into human psychology, human societies, and how humans see the world around them. Often, it is crucial for understanding motivations.

Second, it is often those with a religious viewpoint that are trumpeting causes and laws that I very much disagree with. They often seem to promote bigotry and hatred against those who believe differently (gays, liberals, etc) and manage to put through those laws because of the propaganda based on their religions. In order to fight such better, I want to understand their side.