• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does it look like young people focus only on looks?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wonder about this, why does it look like some young people focus only on how their body looks, but have no interest in looking at their own behaviour or how they speak?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I wonder about this, why does it look like some young people focus only on how their body looks, but have no interest in looking at their own behaviour or how they speak?
Projection. Older people tend to focus on young people's looks, and so assume that the people whom they are watching do likewise. Looking back to my younger years, nothing could be further from the truth.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Projection. Older people tend to focus on young people's looks, and so assume that the people whom they are watching do likewise. Looking back to my younger years, nothing could be further from the truth.
As a 43 year old man, i do not focus on anyones look, but by observing younger people speaking to each other they only spoke about how the look

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because they just know, instinctively, that people form initial opinions within seconds of seeing others.

So do many birds and animals, although song and dance also play an important part, just as for humans. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Its all about attracting a mate.

Colorful-birds.jpg

And the media plays i to it because it sells more copy

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As others might have mentioned, I think this is not true of all, but there are obvious reasons as to why many will be so. I came across this whilst searching for something else:

How childhood is similar and how it is different around the world | DW | 21.05.2015

In Europe, the UK researcher said, there are gender differences in how young people feel about themselves as they become teenagers. Often girls feel less positive about themselves than boys in terms of their looks. "If you only research in Europe, you might assume that that's an inevitable part of growing up," Rees said. However, the researchers found that in particular in the African countries and in Columbia, those gender differences don't exist. "Girls are as happy with the way they look as boys are." As a result, Rees added, we need to think about why girls in England feel so much less positive about their appearance than boys - "because it's not inevitable."

More down to their consumption of social media and other such perhaps?

pearl

What would give you the idea this applies to 'young people'. Its the 'older' people who keep the plastic surgeons in business. But for the 'young', they are so influenced by the media as a guide 'outer' looks they have not yet discovered, and may never, so much is lost in how they act.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What would give you the idea this applies to 'young people'. Its the 'older' people who keep the plastic surgeons in business. But for the 'young', they are so influenced by the media as a guide 'outer' looks they have not yet discovered, and may never, so much is lost in how they act.
I was on the local mall, and every young person i saw looked like they where dressed like they was ready to sell them self. Mostly showing every body part possible. I left the mall after i finish buying food.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I guess i getting old :oops:
It comes to us all. It's hard for us older men to recall quite how strong the sex drive was when we were young. Though I find I do retain a keen aesthetic interest, at least, in members of the opposite sex. But it's a bit like when I see rowers on the Thames: it makes me I wish I was still young and I have to tell myself, sternly, that "dem days is over".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It comes to us all. It's hard for us older men to recall quite how strong the sex drive was when we were young. Though I find I do retain a keen aesthetic interest, at least, in members of the opposite sex. But it's a bit like when I see rowers on the Thames: it makes me I wish I was still young and I have to tell myself, sternly, that "dem days is over".
Ummm i did not have a sex drive when i was young :oops: and still dont have it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As others implied, evolution... attracting a mate, finding the fittest and most attractive to continue the species. As well as media and peer pressure, which I think has its roots, albeit unwittingly, in that evolutionary context.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As others implied, evolution... attracting a mate, finding the fittest and most attractive to continue the species. As well as media and peer pressure, which I think has its roots, albeit unwittingly, in that evolutionary context.
I missed the evolution :eek: oh crap i going to get stuck :oops: