• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does god need to test us?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What I used to believe was that in heaven we would be given new spiritual bodies and would live in eternal Bliss. We'd be given grand mansions in heaven and spend eternity serving god in paradise.

Some would be given new spiritual bodies and go to hell and live in eternal torment. So... That's my understanding on the subject, and my point of reference.

I am sickened by this estimation of the Bible’s message.....this is Christendom’s sick interpretation of what they say the Bible teaches...it is not even close. They would not know what Christianity was if it jumped up and bit them.

God never ever intended for any humans to go to heaven....he created us to live on a vibrant earth with so much to enjoy...to explore and to discover....forever.

The only reason why Jesus came was to get us back to what we lost in Eden.....that was the paradise we lost and that is the paradise we get back.
He will have a chosen few to assist him in getting us back to square one. Only these will go to heaven and they have a specific role. (Revelation 20:6) What is this “eternal bliss” that is expected? There is nothing in the scriptures to support such a notion.

The problem is that everyone has their own ideas, so it's nice to see what their ideas are, and their reasoning behind it. :D
The problem is that we have a common enemy promoting his own propaganda and gaining a host of followers by dispensing all these false ideas.

The Bible has one message.....it is clear and simple, but the waters are muddied by human imagination wilfully ignited by satanically inspired ideas. The devil only has to make it sound appealing and people will fall for it. :rolleyes:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I've heard it said that god tests us with the challenges we face in life... But why? What's the point? What's the end goal of this test?

In known nordic mythologies, Odin takes the best warriors with him to Valhalla to train and get ready to fight in Ragnarok. Their test in life shows their fighting skill so they can be of actual use to the gods in that apocalyptic war. That makes sense to me...

What about Yahweh, though? What possible reason is there for testing us? What's this test for, and why does he need/want for us to pass it? Why does he care whether or not we pass this test, and why did he even make the test in the first place?
I think we want to be tested by God.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
God is all-knowing so already knows how good or bad I am or will be.
But He is not going to lay off is He? He is just to continue sending me tests for the rest of my life, and you Christians call that loving?
I would call that loving. If you're a parent don't you want your kid to pass challenges?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I do not need cushy but just to be free if suffering for more than a few days, is THAT too much to ask, God? :mad:
Do you understand that if God answered prayers like that and made this life easier, the whole lesson would be lost.

God is showing us what living without him really means on a global scale. This is the world that the 'wannabe god' (satan the devil) created and he is responsible for all the misery because humans have fallen into his pattern of thinking. What great success he can have when people don't believe that he exists?
The Bible's whole message falls apart if there is no satan....and he is not some quality of evil in us...he is a rebellious spirit creature who is going to get his 'comeuppance' along with all who fall for his deceptions.

1 John 3:8...
"The one who practices sin originates with the Devil, because the Devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was made manifest, to break up the works of the Devil."

No matter what "god" you worship or what religion you follow...if its not the right one, then you will never have your questions answered, and there will be no future in the new world to come (2 Peter 3:13).....we are qualifying for citizenship there right now. How we live this life determines whether we get to live at all in the real life to come....not in heaven, but right here on earth where God intended for us to live forever......the life that was taken from us by three rebels a very long time ago. But God always finishes what he starts. (Isaiah 55:11)

God has never changed his purpose.....this is a material universe with material creatures living on a material planet, specially prepared for them.....we aren't going anywhere else.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do you understand that if God answered prayers like that and made this life easier, the whole lesson would be lost.
I was just kidding around, I never ask God for anything, I gave up on that a long time ago.
He's going to do what He's going to do anyway, so why bother?

I do not want easy and I don't mind hard, I just want to be like most people who are happy more than they are sad, in case you have not noticed.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God has never changed his purpose.....this is a material universe with material creatures living on a material planet, specially prepared for them.....we aren't going anywhere else.
Not until we die, and thank God we will be going somewhere else after that.

John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Okay then, I rest my case.
Parents know before they have a child that that child might suffer unfair, criplling circumstances at the hands of others and have it anyway.

Before you reply, "God knows everything" maybe that suffering person can influence someone else.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Parents know before they have a child that that child might suffer unfair, criplling circumstances at the hands of others and have it anyway.
Parents know it MIGHT, but it usually does not. Most parents would not have children if they knew it WOULD.
The difference is that God knows it WILL and allows those children to be born anyway.
Before you reply, "God knows everything" maybe that suffering person can influence someone else.
That is true, if they are able to 'get out' and influence other people. What good is a person to others when they are suffering so much they never even see other people?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Parents know it MIGHT, but it usually does not. Most parents would not have children if they knew it WOULD.
The difference is that God knows it WILL and allows those children to be born anyway.

That is true, if they are able to 'get out' and influence other people. What good is a person to others when they are suffering so much they never even see other people?
It's a rich tapestry. You can explore it yourself.

Neuropteron

I've heard it said that god tests us with the challenges we face in life... But why? What's the point? What's the end goal of this test?

In known nordic mythologies, Odin takes the best warriors with him to Valhalla to train and get ready to fight in Ragnarok. Their test in life shows their fighting skill so they can be of actual use to the gods in that apocalyptic war. That makes sense to me...

What about Yahweh, though? What possible reason is there for testing us? What's this test for, and why does he need/want for us to pass it? Why does he care whether or not we pass this test, and why did he even make the test in the first place?

Hi,

True Christians have to face many trials from the worlds because they are different and not part of it.
This calls for endurance. Without this essential quality, a person simply could not come into possession of eternal life.
Others qualities are faithfulness and loyalty.

What counts is the finish, not how well a person may have started in the course of Christian discipleship.
As Jesus expressed it "He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved". Persons who quickly accept the word of God, but only on a surface level, lack endurance and will quickly give up under tribulation or persecution.

Additionally, faith needs to be tested to reveal areas of weaknesses, putting the Christian in a position to see defects in himself and make needed improvements, but it also allow Jehovah to decide -not arbitrarily- but based on his actions whether a person is in a position to receive everlasting life.

We should keep in mind that it is the "informed" believer that is tested not the unbelievers since they "do not know what they doing" (Luk 23:34)

Another consideration is that technically it is Satan that does the testing not Jehovah. However because He allows it, God accepts the testing as coming from Him. This explains why some scriptures states God does not test anyone and those that claim He does.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Another consideration is that technically it is Satan that does the testing not Jehovah. However because He allows it, God accepts the testing as coming from Him. This explains why some scriptures states God does not test anyone and those that claim He does.
Why do you blame it on Satan? I do not believe there is a Satan, so I believe God is fully responsible for whatever tests He sends to us, even if it is for our own good.