• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God need books?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"The God" has only been known since man figured out how to write. Where was The God for the other 3,000,000 years? Did he just all of a sudden decide he wanted his toys to know who he was? Timing seems a bit suspect.
God was known to man before the art of writing was developed.
God has been known to man ever since man has existed.
God makes Himself known by sending Messengers.
We do not know how the Messengers made themselves known without writing since we do not have records dating that far back into history.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
We do not know how the Messengers made themselves known without writing since we do not have records dating that far back into history.
If there are no records, how do you know this?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

[citation needed]

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why does God need books (or other written text) to spread his word? Seems like an incredibly inefficient means for an all powerful being. Surely an all wise and all powerful God could have come up with something better. I mean such things as sacred text and oral tradition, that is so crude and clumsy it seems more like something people would come up with.
So that there would be a plumb line to figure out who the flakes are.

That's what an all powerful and wise God put into place :)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Why does God need books (or other written text) to spread his word? Seems like an incredibly inefficient means for an all powerful being. Surely an all wise and all powerful God could have come up with something better. I mean such things as sacred text and oral tradition, that is so crude and clumsy it seems more like something people would come up with.
Moses spoke to God directly and he transmitted His word(s) to the people. They did not contest with him saying,"Naw -- God Almighty didn't really speak with you..." Yet they didn't listen anyway. You think they didn't listen (obey) because they didn't believe God spoke with Moses, who wrote down what he saw and heard? I don't think they didn't believe God spoke with Moses. What do you think? If God spoke directly to each one of us, would it make a difference? (Not according to the written record -- either people listened or they did not listen.)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If there are no records, how do you know this?
It is in the scriptures of my religion, the Baha'i Faith. Baha'u'llah wrote: "the Manifestations of His Divine glory and the Day Springs of eternal holiness have been sent down from time immemorial, and been commissioned to summon mankind to the one true God." Manifestations are what I refer to as Messengers of God.

“And now regarding thy question, “How is it that no records are to be found concerning the Prophets that have preceded Adam, the Father of Mankind, or of the kings that lived in the days of those Prophets?” Know thou that the absence of any reference to them is no proof that they did not actually exist. That no records concerning them are now available, should be attributed to their extreme remoteness, as well as to the vast changes which the earth hath undergone since their time.

Moreover such forms and modes of writing as are now current amongst men were unknown to the generations that were before Adam. There was even a time when men were wholly ignorant of the art of writing, and had adopted a system entirely different from the one which they now use. For a proper exposition of this an elaborate explanation would be required.

Consider the differences that have arisen since the days of Adam. The divers and widely-known languages now spoken by the peoples of the earth were originally unknown, as were the varied rules and customs now prevailing amongst them. The people of those times spoke a language different from those now known. Diversities of language arose in a later age, in a land known as Babel. It was given the name Babel, because the term signifieth “the place where the confusion of tongues arose.

Subsequently Syriac became prominent among the existing languages. The Sacred Scriptures of former times were revealed in that tongue. Later, Abraham, the Friend of God, appeared and shed upon the world the light of Divine Revelation. The language He spoke while He crossed the Jordan became known as Hebrew (Ibrání), which meaneth “the language of the crossing.” The Books of God and the Sacred Scriptures were then revealed in that tongue, and not until after a considerable lapse of time did Arabic become the language of Revelation….

Witness, therefore, how numerous and far-reaching have been the changes in language, speech, and writing since the days of Adam. How much greater must have been the changes before Him!

Our purpose in revealing these words is to show that the one true God hath, in His all-highest and transcendent station, ever been, and will everlastingly continue to be, exalted above the praise and conception of all else but Him. His creation hath ever existed, and the Manifestations of His Divine glory and the Day Springs of eternal holiness have been sent down from time immemorial, and been commissioned to summon mankind to the one true God. That the names of some of them are forgotten and the records of their lives lost is to be attributed to the disturbances and changes that have overtaken the world.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 172-174

Tumah

Veteran Member
Of course I’m not....But considering “some” among the Jewish demographic do not completely abide by those books as well as others of the Abrahamic faiths, some is quite appropriate.
I don't think the ability of the chosen medium to pass on information is related to how individuals choose to relate to the information. Case in point, G-d makes a mass revelation at Mt. Sinai and 40 days later, everybody is dancing around a golden idol.
I don't see how other Abrahamic faiths relate to this at all.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I don't think the ability of the chosen medium to pass on information is related to how individuals choose to relate to the information. Case in point, G-d makes a mass revelation at Mt. Sinai and 40 days later, everybody is dancing around a golden idol.
I don't see how other Abrahamic faiths relate to this at all.

God sends the archangel Gabriel to speak to a 14 year old child to let her know she will become pregnant and that her son will be special. Hundreds of years later people revere and pray to some statue on a Roman execution instrument.

God sends the archangel Gabriel (again) to talk to an illiterate man named Muhammad. Hundred years later some of the people revere a hair follicle of a deceased prophet and kill in the name of land marks and a cartoon picture.

I think the others can relate.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
People don't "invent" an all powerful God. It's just not something self-centered humans would come up with.

Therefore, Allah has not been invented. Or some other God of the competition... Right?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Yeah, well, especially when you claim to have a daily personal relationship with the alleged author.

That is also counter productive. It leads to Book study whose conclusions are often mutually contradicting, when all you have to do is to ask the author.

The logical conclusion is that humans need Books (and they make them up) because those alleged personal relationships are one way only.

Ciao

- viole

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

This is just too funny to me. What an odd thing to believe. The God sent messengers to all of the people after Adam eh? As in Adam and Eve Adam? What about humans 315,000 YBP? Isn't Adam supposed to be like 4,000 BP? Certainly not as old as modern homo sapiens have actually been here. Do tell how you know personally that The God sent messengers to them?

Many millions of modern humans have lived and died on this planet long before proselytizing religions with books ever existed.

Using a bit of common sense, one could easily conclude God didn't really think much about the vast majority of humans or he would have allowed or poofed into existence, a way for him to be known long before writing holy books came to be.

Only then did "The Real God" appear on the scene. Quite a coincidence if you ask me.