• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God live in the clouds?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
When I was very young I stopped believing in God when the instructor at Sunday School told me he lived up in the clouds.

Why do you think God is portrayed as having is home up in the clouds?

Is it symbolic of his being "on high," elevated above the Creation?

Is it symbolic of a being existing behind a veil of mystery?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Gods always live in inacessable places so believer's faith is not shaken by being unable to find them.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Because the God of the Old Testament is a tribal God and people actually believed He lived up there.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
God lives everywhere. The clouds are in our own minds, so it kind of works out to the same thing.

Or put another way; God doesn't live in the clouds, we do.

Fluffy

A fool
Because God must dwell where we cannot see him since he exists yet we cannot see him.

The sky was a barrier to human perception at one point and so it was the natural home of God. Then we broke down that barrier and God scurried away behind the next screen: the universe itself.

I hope that when we've smashed that down we'll stop trying to find God out there and search within instead.

I'm reminded of this:
John Robinson said:
"Now that we have rejected the ancients' view of God living in a material heaven above the actual sky what does God's existence mean?"

Ozzie

When I was very young I stopped believing in God when the instructor at Sunday School told me he lived up in the clouds.

If anything God 'is" behind a veil of ignorance not mystery unless someone can prove it exists.

Ozzie

Gods always live in inacessable places so believer's faith is not shaken by being unable to find them.
I always liked trekking to Hindu sacred places. Once there I could understand God's choice in leaving the chaos behind.

Aasimar

Atheist

Been to the clouds, didn't see him. God's used to live in the mountains but we went there and didn't find him. Then he lived in the clouds, but we went there and didn't find him. Then he lived beyond the earth and we went there, but did not find him. So now he exists beyond the universe, better hope we never figure out how to get there cause he'll pack his crap and move again, maybe to another dimension or something.

They try to teach children abstract concepts in a literal fashion, which results in the children developing a literal understanding of what was not initially meant to be taken literally. Such as the Noah's ark story, any theologian who not a complete moron understands that the world did not flood in 40 days and nights, unless the sheer weight of the meters of rainfall requred for such a feat to occur crushed noah's pathetic little boat. But it is taught in a literal fashion rather often, and kids think it's supposed to actually be true. Impressionable little buggers, that's why they gotta be protected.

But to answer your other questions, yeah I'd say it is symbolic of him being someplace beyond where humans can get through natural means. Hence why he's now beyond the universe, cause we can't get there.

standing_alone

Perhaps God lives in the clouds because it is the best vantage point in which to watch everything we're doing... ("God's always there; always watching"). I'm not merely "joking." Perhaps some believers in God ascribed him to the clouds because it gave them the comforting feeling of God always being there and watching over them (unless it's one of those days where there are no clouds present in the sky, I guess). Doesn't work so well in our more technological and scientific age, though, of course--if one is wont to take such things literally.

cardero

Citizen Mod
To hide the spaceship.

Matthew 17:5
While he was yet speaking, look! a bright cloud overshadowed them, and, look! a voice out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved; listen to him.”

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I have something important to say! That is why I say it like this! How many punctuations are there! I only know of one! and I always say the same thing! There is no God! christians are so silly to believe in God! ha ha ha! They are dumb!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have something important to say! That is why I say it like this! How many punctuations are there! I only know of one! and I always say the same thing! There is no God! christians are so silly to believe in God! ha ha ha! They are dumb!

:eek:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Perhaps God lives in the clouds because it is the best vantage point in which to watch everything we're doing... ("God's always there; always watching").
Oh dear, yes, that was another reason I stopped believing. Made me paranoid for a few days, it did.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To hide the spaceship.

Matthew 17:5
5 While he was yet speaking, look! a bright cloud overshadowed them, and, look! a voice out of the cloud, saying: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved; listen to him.”
Matthew 17:5.5
5.5 Then lo the clouds parted for a brief moment, so its silvery lining could be seen, and God's three bright tail lights were glimpsed amongst the silver.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Why you stopped believing in God because of that?

Also, do you think you would react differently if you knew at that time that it was the sole interpretation of your instructor or a certain holy book?