• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God allow tragedies?

groovydancer88

I'm talking natural disasters here. People doing bad things to other people happens because without that there would be no free will. But what about things like tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, draughts, storms, earthquakes and so on that people have no control over? Why do you think God allows that to happen? What's his purpose?

One idea is that natural disasters provoke a lot of good deeds, and in many cases helps unite people (not all cases).

What do you think?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
groovydancer88 said:
I'm talking natural disasters here. People doing bad things to other people happens because without that there would be no free will. But what about things like tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, draughts, storms, earthquakes and so on that people have no control over? Why do you think God allows that to happen? What's his purpose?

One idea is that natural disasters provoke a lot of good deeds, and in many cases helps unite people (not all cases).

What do you think?
I'm not G-d's accountant so i don't know what higher purpose any of these horrible things serve...i simply believe that it does serve a higher purpose....

cardero

Citizen Mod
Maybe another way to look at it would be “why do we find ourselves placed at the moment of tragedies?” Why do some people escape tragedies while another person doesn’t? I can honestly confess that GOD doesn’t view tragedies as human’s do. I also do not know of any place that has been deemed totally safe or secure or any life that has been spared from death. Maybe it is our ingrain perspective of this word that brings up such negative connotations.

Mustaphile

If we didn't suffer we would have nothing to overcome?

To illustrate the temporal nature of our physical existance?

To have us seek out the eternal qualities that transcend our suffering?

I'm just throwing these out there as a possible answers. I don't really know. Whatever happens, I have faith that God has it all under control, and faith has reasons of it's own that are beyond explanation at times. :)

Lightkeeper

Another question is, why do people live in areas where disaster occurs frequently. I'm thinking of flood and tornado areas. I would think if you wanted to stay in those areas you should live in a submarine or underground in tornado alley.

Disasters occur because that's the way it is. I don't think God has anything to do with. There are many things that happen in nature such as tsunamis, quakes, storms, etc. It's our responsibility to prepare as much as possible for these things. Like warning systems and more solid building structure.

fromthe heart

groovydancer88 said:

What do you think?
Natural disasters have always been occurances of our ever changing earth and it's reformation in degrees. A tornado doesn't just sit down on someones house...someone decided to live there. If they had built their house somewhere else it wouldn't have been in that danger area. I feel when we make decissions we set ourselves up for whatever may befall us. When I looked for the place I would call home I took into consideration the elements of life,flood,wind,fire,eartquakes,etc. If anything comes and I haven't prepared for it then it's my own fault. No one can prepare for things like tsunamis but they are a part of how our earth works...Even the east coast is suseptable to a huge tsunami but since we don't know just when people take their chances to live where it would wipe them out should it happen.

I think when God instructed that we be prepared to meet our maker it was Gods way for us to not perish but just move to a better life when these horrible things happen. These things may be tragidies in our prespective but I don't see how they would be in God's eyes. If you are a christian and you meet an untimely demise then you are just going home to meet the Lord...if you are a sinner of unredemption however it is a tragedy for you because you find your final destination to be the Lake of Fire. This is just my personal opinion by my personal beliefs in God. I don't think God wants anyone to perish for eternity and that's why He sent Jesus. Our earthly expeirence is of decission making on the course of where we want our soul to end up...it's just the transittion phase in life. When these tragidies strike we gasp in disbelief....and well we should. Our earth will make these changes and they are something to see in the greater scheme of things. I feel if one survived a tragedy then our purpose here on earth has not been fulfilled and there is more for us to do before our time is up.

Perhaps this tsunami had a wonderful aspect to it...through our human eyes we only see the loss of life and the suffering it brings...God knows the purpose of all things...like the 9-11 horror it pulled the world together and we are seeing what we are made of. I do not make light of tragedy and am affected by pain to see these disasters happen.

I hope I haven't offended anyone...these are just my personal beliefs and I mean no one harm in stating them.:)

cardero

Citizen Mod
There is a swimsuit model that was seriously injured who was interviewed about her experience with the tsunami that has made the news recently. When the World Trade Center happened, I remembered the reports with people who had escaped and even interviews with people who called off of work that day. The Columbine Incident had many interviews with the survivors. There was a local report that happened today where a cashier was shot and killed but a coworker survived. These instances have always made me wonder about a selective process but I cannot believe it is chosen by GOD.

MrMorden

i dont think its a question of why he lets things happen, i dont think he "lets" anything happen, it just "happens". he layed out a set of rules that the physical world abides by. its very evident that he lets it run its course. it doesnt prove he doesnt exist, only that he stays true to the laws he creates

jewscout

Religious Zionist
retrorich said:
That is a totally ridiculous statement. :rolleyes:
how so? If you have nothing to compare something to then how do you know if it's good or bad?????????:sarcastic

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Lightkeeper said:
Another question is, why do people live in areas where disaster occurs frequently. I'm thinking of flood and tornado areas. I would think if you wanted to stay in those areas you should live in a submarine or underground in tornado alley.

Disasters occur because that's the way it is. I don't think God has anything to do with. There are many things that happen in nature such as tsunamis, quakes, storms, etc. It's our responsibility to prepare as much as possible for these things. Like warning systems and more solid building structure.
I often think that; here we have some very large areas of lowlands; every winter villages virtually disappear under water (Well, let's say up to maybe a metre of water). Everytime every one rushes to the rescue, people find that they cannot obtain house insurance to cover floods, and yet the houses still sell.

It reminds me of a time when the kids were young (4 & 10 ish). We were on a large motorway on the way to Scotland, when the tyre of a big heavy car blew in front of us. Both our children were strapped in ( James in a child seat, and Andy was wearing a belt). Poor Marie could not have avoided the car; it 'slewed' straight across our path, and we hit it broadside on.

None of us were injured; one of the occupants of the other car suffered whiplash (I think). Our car was drivable, and a policeman told Marie to get back in and drive; otherwise she might no be able to do so again. She did drive (The car was still drivable) to the next motorway services. Shaking from the shock, we got out of the car, and went into the cafe for some tea (Ideal for shock). We were obviously distressed, and a family at a table next to us asked what was the matter. We told them what had happened, and that had it not been for the child seat and safety belt the kids would have probably gone over our heads and into the windscreen.

On our way out, we went to our car. And there was the family to whom we had been talking, with a five year old loose on the back seat, standing on it, waving to us.............:bonk:

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jewscout said:
how so? If you have nothing to compare something to then how do you know if it's good or bad?????????:sarcastic
If a tsunami washes your butt away, you will know instantly that that is bad. If you taste expertly prepared food, you will know instantly that it is good.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sorry; I was so intent on that story - it brought it all back to me - that I forgot to answer the question ! Tragedies are part of nature; as some have already said, tragedies tend to bring the best out of people.

In the days of russia (USSR as it was then) Vs USA, I often thought that if a flying saucer had been spotted, and had fired on 'whatever', that the two enemies would have immediately have become the best of friends. Maybe I'm wrong....:)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
retrorich said:
If a tsunami washes your butt away, you will know instantly that that is bad. If you taste expertly prepared food, you will know instantly that it is good.
if Tsunami's happened all the time on a regular basis and i knew nothing else...i would not necessarily think it was bad because i wouldn't know a life w/o them...i would simply live my life knowing that these things will happen and preparing accordingly...
If i had expertly prepared food all my life and nothing else how would i know it was any better or worse than food prepared a different way?

If have nothing to compare these things to how would i know that they were either good or bad...they would simply be the norm

Lycan

Preternatural
If have nothing to compare these things to how would i know that they were either good or bad...they would simply be the norm
Even if tsumanis were the norm, you probably wouldn't enjoy being in them, therefore would you not think of it as a bad thing? Same with the food, if your taste buds found it pleasurable, would you not think of it as a good thing?