1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Why does G-d create so much life?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Akivah, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Sleeppy

Sleeppy Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

Ratings:
    +406
    That doesn't negate planning, or rather foreknowledge.

If we read Job, we understand that God withstands evil for the sake of evolution; a gradual process. God knows, but Job presumes. Trial and error precedes Job, in the expulsion from Eden.

Jacob strived with God and overcame.

Sidenote: Job's complete righteousness and Jacob's overcoming God are both exaggerations, entered into impossibility.

2. arthra

arthra Baha'i

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Thanks for sharing that the earth is home to so many species! I'm a Baha'i and in our belief God emanates the universe somewhat as the sun shines rays of light. It's part of God's nature. The Creator always has a creation and there will always be a creation.

"The dependence through the creatures upon God is a dependence of emanation: that is to say, creatures emanate from God, they do not manifest Him. The relation is that of emanation and not that of manifestation. The light of the sun emanates from the sun, it does not manifest it. The appearance through emanation is like the appearance of the rays from the luminary of the horizons of the world: that is to say, the holy essence of the Sun of Truth is not divided, and does not descend to the condition of the creatures. In the same way, the globe of the sun does not become divided and does not descend to the earth: no, the rays of the sun, which are its bounty, emanate from it, and illumine the dark bodies."

Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’í World Faith—Selected Writings of Bahá’u’lláh and ‘Abdu’l-Bahá (‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s Section Only), Pages 315-316

"The Creator always had a creation; the rays have always shone and gleamed from the reality of the sun, for without the rays the sun would be opaque darkness."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 281

3. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,461
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    My post was in reference to post #36 in regards to God's supposed "plan", with my response questioning that concept in regards to therefore why miscarriages and birth defects. IOW, are they also part of "God's plan"?

To put it another way, I have problems with any kind of predestinationist concept because it posits God being the instigator of things that also go bad and not just good.

4. corynski

corynski Reality First!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Religion:
    none ........
    I'm thinking of the pain inherent in eating living creatures, and in particular I'm thinking of humans eating other humans in those years and years long ago when living in small hunting and gathering groups was likely extremely precarious. Imagine a starving group encountering a few lone hunters.... Even the Bible mentions cannibalism in 2 Kings 6:29. Why weren't we created vegetarians?

5. corynski

corynski Reality First!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Religion:
    none ........
    And ignore all the rest? How can you get an accurate picture of the world if you only look at part of it? Reality is 100% of what's out there to my mind. And 'god' says he creates it all, the good and the ugly, making me think otherwise.... It's a brutal world if you haven't looked at it recently.......

6. leibowde84

leibowde84 Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,456
    Religion:
    Agnostic Atheist
    I have yet to see any reason why it would not be the case. When you consider the fact that we don't know we are the only life form that considers its own existence (there could be many other planets with complex life ... but, sadly, would most likely never come into contact with them) along with the fact that life on earth is almost 4 billion years old, it doesn't seem unbelievable at all. It is amazing, no doubt, but there is nothing unreasonable or illogical about it.

7. Sleeppy

Ratings:
    +406
    That's what I'm responding to..

That's not necessarily true. But, we find that idea with Isaiah for example, or Jeremiah. For them, God does orchestrate from both angles.

But in reality it's not an orchestration, or a plan. We're referring to an unchanging God, outside of time; a static blueprint for a fluid material space-time.

8. metis

Ratings:
    +16,461
    Religion:
    That's assuming both are correct, which I don't.

Again, I don't work from those assumptions.

9. Sleeppy

Ratings:
    +406
    I'm aware. But if you consider it, you might find some of those problems you have with fatalism go away.

10. metis

Ratings:
    +16,461
    Religion:
    I don't have problems with fatalism, at least as far as I know, so I don't know where you're coming from with that. Maybe you can explain? However, for reasons I previous mentioned, I do have a problem with the predestinationist approach.

11. Akivah

Akivah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Religion:
    Judaism
    I don't know. But cannibalism in human history is the exception, not the norm.

12. Akivah

Akivah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Yes, and there is a lot of goodness there as well. The media focuses almost entirely on negative news.

13. corynski

corynski Reality First!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Religion:
    none ........
    Thousands of years I'd guess, from the beginning until now. Tremendous amount of pain for animals too..... And why would a god create two sexes? Such grief in the world just because we have two sexes... It just doesn't seem designed to me in any way.

14. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    Hebraic Roots Universalist Christian Noahide
    Aha David.. there you are. I already met you over on ChristianForums.com.

Yes..... creating an astonishing variety of life forms does certainly give G-d joy..........
    having existed for infinite time in the past.......
    is one of the reasons why G-d does so much creating.

www.CarbonBias.blogspot.ca/

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. DavidFirth

DavidFirth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Religion:
    Christian
    What's up, Dennis? Good to see you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. DennisTate

DennisTate Active Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    Hebraic Roots Universalist Christian Noahide
    David.... I honestly think that you were inspired to mention this forum.....
    I have some stuff going on that I believe has to reach a lot of people fast....
    all across the religious and philosophical spectrum.... and this is the perfect place to do it.....

I will send you a personal message over on the other forum that will give you a heads up on why it is important
    that I found this forum......

• Like Like x 1
  17. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,990
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Why wouldn't one take a literalistic approach to Genesis?

I mean, I realize that the literal approach doesn't match the facts, but why would we assume that the intended meaning of the story was supposed to take into account facts that weren't known when the story was written?

What in the story would have been implausible to a 1400 BC-ish audience or author?

• Like Like x 1
  18. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,990
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    We are?

Since creation is an act of change - actually, all acts involve change - how could an unchanging God be a creator god? An unchanging god is a god that, by definition, never does anything.

19. Sleeppy

Ratings:
    +406
    Exactly right.

We exist within spacetime. We perceive a creation, or a beginning, when in fact there isn't one.