• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God?

SecondBoy

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God?
if Jesus was (is) a human like us?
are christians monotheist while they believe in three Gods?
is there more than one God for christians?
what does Jesus do that he is God or like God?
please don't say that 3=1 this statement dosn't justify a wise guy.
thank you.
[/font]

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
SecondBoy said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God?
thank you.
[/font]
You know that not all of Christianity believes that. We believe that God the Father, Chirst, and the Holy Ghost are all separate beings. We also believe that the purpose of this life is to return to live w/ God and to become like him. If we become like God, that means we will, through obeidience to the commandments, have an oppurtunity to become a God. While we except that there is more than one God, we only worship one God. This makes us monotheistic.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I believe in the Trinity...THREE separate manifestations of God...Father, Son and Holy Ghost...all ONE God.

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that he might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Speak these things, exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one despise you." Tit. 2:11-15

"For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given: and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God." Isaiah 9:6

"My Father who has given them to me is greater than all: and no one is able to snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and My Father are one." John 10:29-30

"Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." John 8:58

After Christ arose...he spoke to Thomas and when Thomas saw him he replied...

"My Lord and my God!." John 20:28

In John 1:1-5...the Eternal Word is defined as being both God and Christ...

"In the beginning, was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not comprehend it."

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Colossians 1:16

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Perhaps I'll use the same argument Jesus did. Sort of a Socratic method.
From Matthew 22 KJV:

[41]While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,
[42] Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David.
[43] He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,
[44] The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?
[45] If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?
[46] And no man was able to answer him a word, neither durst any man from that day forth ask him any more questions.

SecondBoy

does(did) Jesus worship God or not?if he worships(worshiped) God then God worships(worshiped) God and if he dosn't(didn't) then he is(was) sinful.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
SecondBoy said:
does(did) Jesus worship God or not?if he worships(worshiped) God then God worships(worshiped) God and if he dosn't(didn't) then he is(was) sinful.
Of course he worshipped God. God showed us through Christ, what kind of relationship we should have with Him.

God makes no mistakes. You either believe or you don't.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
SecondBoy said:
I have every reason to believe Jesus is one with God,
I find the idea that he was another prophet insulting to him.

I have no trouble with the idea that Muhammad is a Prophet for Muslems, that is what they believe.

We believe Jesus is God.
Neither is open to arguement.

Terry_______________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Linus

Also,
John 14:7"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." 8Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." 9Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?10"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works. 11"Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SecondBoy said:
thank you.
[/font]
Dawny answered the question beautifully. However, having lived for years around Muslims, I understand this is hard for you to understand.

Why does christianity consider Jesus(pbuh) as God?
God turned a part of himself into human form, and that was Jesus Christ. He came to be on earth, in the form of a human.

I am not sure I understand your question, but Jesus Christ is the same as God (The bible says he sits at the right hand of God, which means he is of the same importance) which is natural, because he is a part of God.

thank you.
Imagine when you go home. You are married, and you have a son.

To your wife, you are a husband.
To you, you are a man.
To your son, you are a father.

You have three sdistinct 'roles' in life. That is the easy way to understand the trinity.
Does it help?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Judgement Day said:
If Jesus is God, why does Jesus worship God?
Again, Jesus was FLESH...a manifestation of God to show US how we should live...how WE should worship God as OUR heavenly Father.

dawny0826 said:
God makes no mistakes.
True, but humans make mistakes. And shouldn't one constantly question the faith which has been taught to them, for the possibility that humans erred in the deliverance of that faith?

Quoting the Bible provides a self-fulfilling truth to any question given in contest to Christianity. It's not enough to simply believe. One must seek truth, not merely accept it.

To merely quote this verse or that verse from this book or that book assumes that the verse, the history of the verse, and the interpretation of the verse, contain the same truth that the original author intended, and ignores the possibility that the truth has been distorted.

I suggest to everyone to question the Bible's authorship. Question its interpretation during it's evolution through Greek, Hebrew, Latin, German, and English, etc.

Linguistically, it is not possible that the words written 1900 years ago (NT) have the same meaning as words read today, after multiple translations, interpretations, and "corrections." If you believe it at all possible that there could be the slightest error in translation or interpretation, then you have to question basic tenets of the faith.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Ibrahim Al-Amin said:
Quoting the Bible provides a self-fulfilling truth to any question given in contest to Christianity. It's not enough to simply believe. One must seek truth, not merely accept it.

To merely quote this verse or that verse from this book or that book assumes that the verse, the history of the verse, and the interpretation of the verse, contain the same truth that the original author intended, and ignores the possibility that the truth has been distorted.

I suggest to everyone to question the Bible's authorship. Question its interpretation during it's evolution through Greek, Hebrew, Latin, German, and English, etc.

Linguistically, it is not possible that the words written 1900 years ago (NT) have the same meaning as words read today, after multiple translations, interpretations, and "corrections." If you believe it at all possible that there could be the slightest error in translation or interpretation, then you have to question basic tenets of the faith.
You're right! And many, many of us do that very thing! We do test our understanding of scripture. We do stretch and amend our interpretive processes. The Christian faith is much diferent than it was 1800 years ago. Those who think otherwise are kidding themselves.

Some Christians hold that the scriptures are infallible and that faith is unchanging truth. Some hold that the scriptures, while inpired by God, are human documents that have changed over time. They say that faith changes with the time and culture of the faithful, just as the world changes, and that truth is a constant, but that truth moves in a constant direction.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Judgement Day said:
If Jesus is God, why does Jesus worship God?
Because Jesus was also a faithful human being. If Jesus was a teacher (which we believe he was), part of his "job" was to teach by example: How to live life righteously -- how to 1) love God and 2) love our neighbors. Thisis one of the tenets of the faith that makes it radically different from Islam and Judaism. We believe that God is not far from us, indeed that God became one of us, in order to reconcile us to God. Our savation doesn't hinge on prayers, or worship, or other action. Our salvation hinges on the fact that God loves us enough to sacrifice himself for us.

sojourner said:
You're right! And many, many of us do that very thing! We do test our understanding of scripture. We do stretch and amend our interpretive processes. The Christian faith is much diferent than it was 1800 years ago. Those who think otherwise are kidding themselves.

Some Christians hold that the scriptures are infallible and that faith is unchanging truth. Some hold that the scriptures, while inpired by God, are human documents that have changed over time. They say that faith changes with the time and culture of the faithful, just as the world changes, and that truth is a constant, but that truth moves in a constant direction.
Excellent. Thank you for your logical and reasoned response. I was expecting to be slammed by a fundamentalist. So many Christians seem to believe that the Bible is a static document, unaltered through history, and that their interpretation is the only valid interpretation.