• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does Christ say to keep the Commandments?

reddogs

It seems that Christ contineously held up the Commandments as a central theme for eternal life, as something to be upheld, as the basis of loving God and loving your fellow man. It is God transfering His Love to man, a understanding of Gods love throught his law.

Matthew 5:19
Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 15:3
But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Matthew 19:17
"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

Matthew 22:34
[ The Greatest Commandment ] Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.

Matthew 22:36
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

Matthew 22:40
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Mark 7:8,9
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mark 10:19
You know the commandments:'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.' "

Mark 12:28
[ The Greatest Commandment ] One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
The second is this:'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Luke 1:6
Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.

Luke 18:20
You know the commandments:'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.' "
Luke 18:19-21 (in Context) Luke 18 (Whole Chapter)

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

So why do so many people fight against what Christ so clearly upheld for us to observe, to love God and our fellow man?

Walkntune

Jesus says to love God with all of your heart mind and soul and to love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang all of the law. When you walk in perfect love you uphold the commandments automatically.
Do you want your own children to obey you because you give them laws or to obey you because they love you ????

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hey Reddogs....

Too many quotes...not enough statement.
A common practice, and a practice you will find all through this forum.

Have you read the parable of the Prodigal Son?
Did you notice? the wayward son came home with favored greeting?
Did you notice? the objection coming from the obedient sibling?

When you quote scripture as you have done in post one...
The context is missing.
When the Carpenter taught, it was for correction, not replacement.

So many people believe themselves worthy, that they have kept the law.
So many believe they have done well, that no accusation can be aimed at them.

Did you notice? the first person to enter heaven...right behind the Carpenter....was a nameless Thief?

Ridwan

It seems that Christ contineously held up the Commandments as a central theme for eternal life, as something to be upheld, as the basis of loving God and loving your fellow man. It is God transfering His Love to man, a understanding of Gods love throught his law.

Jesus makes following the law and his commands the condition for salvation and success. This has gone over most Christaisn heads for over 2000 years?

Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:19

But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
Matthew 15:3

For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
Mark 7:8,9

Christianity is built on doing these two things which Jesus forbade.

"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
Matthew 19:17

Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.
Luke 1:6

If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 14:15

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
John 14:21

[FONT=&quot]Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
John 14:12
[/FONT]

Here, Jesus says that if you believe in him and love him you will obey the law and his commands. Otherwise you do not believe or love him.

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
Matthew 7: 13 - 14

Someone asked him, Lord, are only a few people going to be saved? He said to them, Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to.
Luke 23 - 24

Here Jesus spoke of entering life. The following verse explains how.

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life? Why do you ask me about what is good? Jesus replied. There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments.
Matthew 19: 16 - 17