• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you serve?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why do you serve your god(s)?

Serve isn't an abrahamic context and not an abrahamic word. The definition is "to perform duties and services to (something/someone)." It can be worship, but in this OP, it is not synonymous to worship unless one wants to see it that way.

God is used here because it's a common English word people recognize. However, if you believe in gods (and I do mean one or more god), why (or what is the internal intentions) in which you want "and/or" need to serve god(s)?

This is for any person who believes in god(s). Hindu, Pagan, Abrahamic, whomever.

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Serve isn't an abrahamic context and not an abrahamic word. The definition is "to perform duties and services to (something/someone)." It can be worship, but in this OP, it is not synonymous to worship unless one wants to see it that way.

God is used here because it's a common English word people recognize. However, if you believe in gods (and I do mean one or more god), why (or what is the internal intentions) in which you want "and/or" need to serve god(s)?

This is for any person who believes in god(s). Hindu, Pagan, Abrahamic, whomever.

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.

I used to serve as an altar boy. Genuflecting had to be done in perfect sequence... Best advice..? Never get caught daydreaming when it's time to ring the bells.

amorphous_constellation

I think traditionally, some humans intended to get spiritual forces to serve them.. So you can serve them to master them, and then they serve you to some extent. Though if that is not your intent, one might serve them merely because they represent the good in the world, and you wish to cultivate that for the world (as the good requires man to maintain it, or the world goes to hell). This is likely a pretty non-abrahamic way of seeing things, where man is only there to serve god? But the intent of sorcerer, the cunning man, the shaman, the seer (all non-abrahamic ideas), was to twist the spiritual forces into tools, to some degree, and then they serve the man. The individual then has a share of divine power and responsibility, it seems

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I used to serve as an altar boy. Genuflecting had to be done in perfect sequence... Best advice..? Never get caught daydreaming when it's time to ring the bells.

What values do you base your life on?
(Who/what do you owe your life or thanks to/so have you)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think traditionally, some humans intended to get spiritual forces to serve them.. So you can serve them to master them, and then they serve you to some extent. Though if that is not your intent, one might serve them merely because they represent the good in the world, and you wish to cultivate that for the world (as the good requires man to maintain it, or the world goes to hell). This is likely a pretty non-abrahamic way of seeing things, where man is only there to serve god? But the intent of sorcerer, the cunning man, the shaman, the seer (all non-abrahamic ideas), was to twist the spiritual forces into tools, to some degree, and then they serve the man. The individual then has a share of divine power and responsibility, it seems

I read about that, serving god (placeholder) should be reciprocal in nature. I agree with that more. Somewhat like student/teacher bow to each other. Same level; different perspectives and years of practice.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.

God is our creator and loves and serves us, so we reciprocate.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I love my G-d and recognise Him as my Lord and Maker.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.
Because I am His Ambassador. I received the invitation and accepted the calling.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.
I used to sign my letters, 'In Siva's Service,' and still do, but handwritten letters are rare these days. As to why, all I can say is that it's a calling, a compulsion, and for Hindus, as duty. Of course one has to be in a position that if an opportunity to serve presents itself, they can do it. So far I've been fortunate, as many opportunities have been presented to me.

syo

Without Gods, I am doomed. They helped me with my mental illness. And yes, Gods are real.

ajay0

As per the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, service activities , regulated by virtuous conduct and meditation, gains the blessings of God and of those who profit from the service. These blessings enable greater depth in meditation consequently and greater positivity and auspiciousness.

However service activities should not be tainted by coercion or negative behavior or violence. Such taints makes such activities vicious rather than beneficial, and promotes negativity and inauspiciousness.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.
Serving Allah is the way out of suffering and pain. To me that is reason enough in it self. But i can not see a life without spirituality. Wasting my life is finish. Only being a servant to Allah has meaning.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Why do you serve god(s)?

Mind the forum title.

The Bible tells us that we Christians are a Royal Priesthood and a Holy Nation and that we should offer up praise to God and spiritual sacrifices, such as thanksgiving.
This was first to be the destiny of the Jews but most of them rejected the New Covenant.
We are priest under Jesus who offered up Himself as a sacrifice for sin and now intercedes for us to His Father.

Psalm 110:4
The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind,
“You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”

1 Peter 2:9,10
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Exodus 19:6
and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the sons of Israel.”

1 Peter 2:5
you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Revelation 1:6
and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father—to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Isaiah 61:6
But you will be called the priests of the Lord;
You will be spoken of as ministers of our God.
You will eat the wealth of nations,
And in their riches you will boast.

Psalm 110:4
The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind,
“You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”