• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you looking to find faults in other peoples belief?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The relentless negativity and belligerence of a handful of atheist fanatics, is tiresome in the extreme. I’m sure you’ve witnessed that on this forum. I’ve learned who to ignore and who to engage with, but it can be a little disconcerting the first time you have an atheist attack mob steam in on you with no attempt at restraint or civility. I’ve never experienced this from followers of any other religious group, only atheists; and that’s a shame, because there are some atheists with interesting views and perspectives, who can hold a conversation without succumbing to resentment and intolerance, and who don’t equate looking for a debate with looking for a fight.

I'm not saying that there aren't a few atheists here as you describe, but just as tiresome are the passive aggressive threads such as this one that are intended to attack atheists' behaviors.

I just don't see such threads as these being any better than those created by atheists intended to attack the beliefs of theists. And we have several thread such as this one that are designed to do the same thing that are just worded slightly differently. It's almost like we're making this forum a platform to promote an agenda.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why do you looking to find faults in other peoples belief and faith, when you would hate when others did that to you?

Why do you assume I would hate that?
Looking for flaws in statements, claims, beliefs, etc... is a very rational thing to do.
It's a good way to weed out false statements, claims, beliefs etc.

I like being justified in my beliefs.
I prefer accurate beliefs over false beliefs.

The quest to find flaws in statements, claims or beliefs in general is a very important part of testing such.

In fact... that's pretty much what "does it stand up to scrutiny?" is referring to.

Lawrence Krauss once said something interesting in this regard. He said that when you design an experiment to test a certain thing... you don't design it to prove / confirm / support your case. instead, you design it to try to disprove it.

He added: "Science is not in the business of proving things. If anything, it's in the business of disproving things."

Are you that insecure about yourself?

I could also ask: Are you that insecure in your beliefs that you can't handle people questioning them and trying to poke holes in the justifications you offer for it?

Me, I'm not insecure at all. On forums such as these, basically I look for people to state what they believe and why. Then I'll look at what they have to offer and give my opinion. And yes, if I spot something I consider a flaw or contradiction, I'll say so. And hopefully we'll all learn something.

Off course, that theists tend to take it personal and get all emotional whenever someone questions their beliefs... Nothing much I can do about that.

If you calling other people's faith for evil, are you any better yourself?

Depends on what the faith in question is, now isn't it?

On the other hand, I'll happily and confidently state that imo, to believe anything on "faith"(*) is irresponsible for a semi educated adult and therefor immoral.

(*) where "faith" means to believe / accept as true without verifiable / rational evidence

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I understand you believe the teaching, but if the teaching is not true, you would never find out. You admitted that you are not infallible so you could be wrong about your Faith. How would you ever find out?
When will you stop nagging about this? i have given you my answer

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I dont see any use of this thread anymore from my side, as usual those who got the question did not aswer, and just turn it around toward the OP starter.

I am out ;)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well, if you're not open to criticism by others than the Baha'i, then you made your belief unfalsifiable. I see a problem with that. It means that if you are wrong about your religion, you will never find out.

Oh? The teaching tell me what I have to change about my own belief and faith. Not non-believers

upload_2022-9-15_15-5-29.png

Basically, you insist on living in an echo-chamber.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It is only a problem for others who don't like people with strong faith.

No.

People who care about their beliefs actually being rationally justified and accurate, would consider it a problem.
Those who don't care about that, and are content just holding on to their belief regardless of justification or accuracy, wouldn't care. In fact, they might favor it.

PureX

Veteran Member
To 'believe' something is to presume it true. To declare your belief is the same as declaring it to be true. And this is what people then choose to argue with. Understandably.

If you want to avoid those arguments, stop declaring what you believe to be true in public. They won't care, unless you declare it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Why do you looking to find faults in other peoples belief and faith, when you would hate when others did that to you? Are you that insecure about yourself?

very, very interesting

the op is asking others about the very thing they are doing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium,
Why don't you find fault in people. who find fault in people finding faults in other people's beliefs? ;)

I find fault in people who find fault in people who find fault in people who find fault in people who find faults in other people's beliefs.

Is that what one might call faulty logic? If so, I might find fault in one calling it that. But that might be my fault.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Guys you all know i do not mean no harm toward you as a person or your beliefs.
Why did i make this OP? I made it so you are aware that even there are OP about religion you disagree with, or scriptures you disagree with. Your own words toward others may hurt even you, yourself did not mean to hurt.
Listening to the same negative comments about one own belief can get to the people who feel weak in their faith.

Luckely i am not weak in my faith anymore. So you don't harm me. Actually as I said in an other op i made today.

I love that you hate me (my faith) i honestly love that you use time and energy, your own energy to "teach me" what I "should know" about my own belief.

Keep it up guys ;)
your threads are pretty much repetitive and asking others why their doing what you are doing

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why do you looking to find faults in other peoples belief and faith, when you would hate when others did that to you? Are you that insecure about yourself?

I think that there is a whole spectrum of reaction to other people's beliefs and faiths. Not all criticism of those is negative or even unwelcome.

In any case, I am indeed very much in favor of critique of beliefs and faiths. No people are owed protection from some scrutinity of their beliefs and motivations.

Why? Mainly because they do not live in a dome of their own. We are all influenced by the actions and omissions of others, even if we would rather not.

There is a responsibilty that comes with beliefs and faiths. And there is a duty to question them, both our own and others'.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Would you love me to pick apart your personal belief?

Are you addressing the skeptics and critical thinkers? If so, the answer is yes, if you can.

I think it is easy to see whom follow a teaching with intention to harm others, those people do need to be told that they are about to harm others.

You see people as trying to harm you that aren't. Isn't that what all these threads you start repeatedly asking others to lay off discussing your opinions are about? Incidentally, that's your imagination. You have no enemies here, and nobody is persecuting you. Somehow, you have come to see discussion and debate as attack. Most of the skeptics and critical thinkers come from a different tradition and see debate as a way of learning, teaching, and resolving differences of opinion if both are critical thinkers. It's what attorneys are doing in a courtroom and scientists in peer review - using a common standard to arrive at the soundest conclusions possible.

People like me not here to harm you. The above was offered constructively to help you, as were all other posts I've addressed to you, but I don't think you ever get much out of them. You seem uninterested in the ideas of others. You're here to express your opinions, to share your latest insight, or what religion you've moved on to - not to discuss it. This isn't a good place for that given how you feel.

To me, personally, I have no opposition in other people or their beliefs. I don't have to tell others they have "wrong beliefs" or " their beliefs are evil" due to a few verse in their scriptures i might have misunderstood anyway.

That's your fellow theists that do that. They're the ones who argue about dogma and theology, what scripture really means, and the like. Unbelievers are more interested in addressing errors of fact or reasoning. How many times have I alone told you that I don't care what you believe. I don't know what you believe theologically, and have never asked you. Why would I? All faith-based beliefs are "wrong beliefs" to me in the sense that they are unjustified beliefs whatever they are.

But I'm also not trying to talk you out of them. Nor does it appear is anybody else.

RF is normally a good place to be, until one post about ones own faith and belief. Then the fun in speaking to likeminded people are out the Window.

You'll never get what you want as long as you remain in mixed forums like this one. Nor should you. Your request is unreasonable. The purpose of RF is to provide a venue for such discussions.

So speaking about faith and belief in a religious forum may be a bit dumb then, since you get exposed to what believers believe?

If it is unpleasant for you to read the opinions of those who disagree with you, then yes, expressing your beliefs publicly where they are likely to illicit responses you don't like is a poor choice.

one should find faults within ones own being, not in others.

The skeptics who question your comments aren't looking for faults in your being. Your thinking, perhaps, and your posting behavior, but not your being.

So they push to get the theists to say contradictory replies, then the theists are accused of not knowing their own belief.

Nobody is pushing to get theists to give contradictory replies. How would one go about that anyway? If one contradicts himself, that's on him, and does suggest that he doesn't know what he believes.

A religious person comes to a religious forum to discuss with other religious people

And so can an irreligious person. I sense that you want to tell the forum that this venue is for religious people only. You've been hinting at it.

gnomon

Some people with strong beliefs and a strong faith, even if their belief doesn't adhere to the dogma of their proclaimed faith, will murder their own children.

So I think it's a duty to critique, to debate, and find fault where it's due.

Seriously, what's the point of this thread? Is the question why do people think and have a difference of opinion.