• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you follow the religion you belong to now?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Remember, you asked why RF users believe that their religion is the truth.
I can't say I believe what Jesus said, based on the Bible, and then say, forget what Jesus said. I think. I can believe whatever.. can I?
Then what would my answer mean?
I might as well say, I don't believe my religion has the truth.
However, you are not hoping for me to say that, are you?
No i'm not hoping that.
I think it's good you've found a religion that you think is the truth. I like Christianity very much

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay thanks, that makes sense. :)
I'd be curious as to why you were able to connect with the G-d of Judaism and not the Gods of other religions if/when you have time and if/when you want to share that. One reason I ask is because I have trouble connecting to God. Logically speaking, I know it is not a problem with my religion, since other Baha'is do not have this problem, so I know it is a personal problem I have with God.

If/when you have time, maybe you can explain what those fatal flaws are. I am really curious.

I am busy now too, I have to call my attorney about an important matter regarding a tenant who owes me many thousands of dollars in unpaid rent. :mad:
Hopefully I can and will give you a follow up :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm just curious about your beliefs :)
I apologize that i was rude, that was not my intention
I don't think you were rude.
Sorry if I gave you the impression that I was annoyed. I'm not.
Feel free to ask, but I go by the Bible, since as I said, I believe it has the truth. So I believe the religion that goes by the teachings in the Bible has the truth.

So when you ask me a question, you are not going to get an opinion, but a Biblical answer... from God himself, Jesus, and his apostles....

What do you want to know?

You are aware that there are people who are kind, but how far does that kindness go?
However, being kind is not the same as being faithful..

We are not here waiting for God to invite us to heaven... According to the Bible, God rewards the faithful with everlasting life - for the vast majority, on earth. Only a few are destined for heavenly life.

If you are interested in what the Bible says on that, I can post you that information later.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
:) Probably because I have a limited amount of intelligence but have enough intelligence to be in my religion. I guess it suits me. It would not well suit me to be in a more brainy religion, and besides what is human intelligence compared with infinite intelligence?

Were you born into the faith?
Not precisely. I was born into a denomination which practiced selective communion. It was called non-denominational though, and I think that eventually became an advantage.

Did you convert?
Twice, both times to Christianity in various forms so not really. I felt like I was converting, and it was called conversion. What I actually did in my opinion was improve and embrace more kinds of Christians, and this unlocked the barriers holding back the thoughts in my mind opening the pages that had been whited out from me. I'm not claiming to be powerful relative to other people just trying to describe the experience. It feels like being unbound but also more responsible for things. I am now responsible for my actions.

Why do you believe your religion is the truth?
Have you heard the story of the manna that Moses and the Israelites have to gather for food? Its a special food from heaven that they must continuously gather and which spoils if not eaten. They aren't allowed to store enough for three days in a row.

Now I believe the body of Christ represents that manna. It also has to be gathered continuously and if stored will spoil. It has to stay dynamic, and like any burnt offering must be shared with others and as quickly as possible. The leftover is wasted.

This phrase quoted of Jesus: "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the father but by me" is a riddle. The first Christians lowered most barriers to gentiles. For a reason they sought truth everywhere in everything and in everyone, calling it the glory of God. They saw manna from heaven in people. They saw value in things like philosophy and in the practices of pagans and tried to gather that value. I think truth was to be gathered continuously as if it were manna, not held in bottles where it would spoil and instead freshly gathered. Truth was the glory that they were both gathering and sharing, not distilling. Fresh.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Did you convert?

I have played around with and been members of other religions. The reason I'm in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is to have the gift of the Holy Ghost which includes verifying some information, there's more text than any other religion I know of, and I gather it has the best promised afterlife of any religion.

Also, it helps people be their best and I really like the Temple!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'm motivated to learn more of where I came from and who I am based on those I'm related to. It reminds me of the trauma inheritance where our trauma's mutate our genes and our children and children's children inherent the trauma symptoms without knowing the cause. I thought it a worthwhile endeavor to learn more about myself through my family-both in spirit and the living.

Also I'm learning how to serve. I haven't really put responsibility into a spiritual sense so I'm exploring that as well. Gives a sense of purpose and contribution to origin and others.

No. I don't know how I got into it deeply. My mother has spirit-ual experiences but not something she feels is spiritual or religions. Just life.

Did you convert?

No. I was drawn. Interestingly enough, its stronger during death anniversaries, birth, and memorable events and experiences.

I don't. All my experiences lead up to it. Since no one has my experiences, I can only say it's what's true to me. Many ethics from a few other religions I already had just the core and practice of it I'm not drawn to as I am with learning about family that I never really had-emotionalwise.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I follow my Guru (as good as I can). My guru declared He did not start a new Religion, so it's more "I follow Guru not Religion, for me"

No, I was born into Christian Faith. Although, from young age, I felt the values I had, I later discovered, were those my Guru represents and lives by

Does not apply to me. But I accepted my Guru as my Master

I believe my Guru can guide me to the highest Truth. His name is Sathya, which means Truth, so that makes it easy.
I do not believe any Religion is the Truth (unless Love is your Religion maybe).
I do believe that all Religions can lead you to the Truth

Note: This does not imply that non Faith can't lead you to the Truth (which does not imply that it can)

If I may ask. Is your Guru a living person?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because I believe that Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation of God (Messenger of God).
No, I had no religion growing up
Did you convert?
No, I chose to join the Baha'i Faith after I investigated it during my first year in college.
Because I believe that Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation of God (Messenger of God).

However, it is important to note that as a Baha'i I believe that all the revealed religions are the truth from God.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Did you convert?

Why? Because for some mysterious reason God has been most generous and loving towards me, otherwise it would be impossible for me to have received the greatest blessing anyone on earth could possibly receive. I am overwhelmed by God’s kindness to me. I wasn’t searching, but the devoutest and staunchest of all atheists. Yet He showered me with all His bounties despite my undeserving.

Yes I was born partially into my Faith as to believe in Jesus is an inseparable part of our belief.

I was Christian then atheist then accepted all the Prophets of God from Adam to Baha’u’llah inclusively.

I believe all religions are the truth.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Did you convert?

It makes the most sense ... to me. The beliefs I concluded before, from personal introspection, just happen to match 95% with the religion I follow.
No, I was not born into the faith.
I'd call it 'adopted' not converted. Converted implies going from one to another, whereas I went from nothing to something.
I don't believe that. Belief isn't truth, it's belief. I don't believe anyone who claims their religion is the truth. To me, that's nonsensical, and considering the vagueness of 'truth', somewhat egotistical, born of insecurity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why? Because for some mysterious reason God has been most generous and loving towards me, otherwise it would be impossible for me to have received the greatest blessing anyone on earth could possibly receive. I am overwhelmed by God’s kindness to me. I wasn’t searching, but the devoutest and staunchest of all atheists. Yet He showered me with all His bounties despite my undeserving.
Ditto on that. I was not searching for God or a religion at all, when I stumbled upon the Baha'i Faith 50 years ago.
Why it was so easy for me to recognize it as the truth and never question it once after that for 50 years is indeed a mystery.
If anyone is undeserving it is me, after all the horrible things I have said to and about God over the years. :(

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Ditto on that. I was not searching for God or a religion at all, when I stumbled upon the Baha'i Faith 50 years ago.
Why it was so easy for me to recognize it as the truth and never question it once after that for 50 years is indeed a mystery.
If anyone is undeserving it is me, after all the horrible things I have said to and about God over the years. :(

This is why I dare not ask God for anything. Not anything at all. To ask for anything more after being given such a gift would to me be open blasphemy.

Actually my greatest suffering is there is no deed I can perform to adequately thank Him. And if I am to live forever, one reason may be to try and find a way to thank Him. He gave me life. Then spiritual life. Then a beautiful wonderful spiritual wife. Spiritual friends. He has given me the entire world as my family. How to repay such generosity?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This is why I dare not ask God for anything. Not anything at all. To ask for anything more after being given such a gift would to me be open blasphemy.
I never ask God for anything either, because I figure God already knows what I need; so I will get what I need, rather than what I might want.
Actually my greatest suffering is there is no deed I can perform to adequately thank Him. And if I am to live forever, one reason may be to try and find a way to thank Him. He gave me life. Then spiritual life. Then a beautiful wonderful spiritual wife. Spiritual friends. He has given me the entire world as my family. How to repay such generosity?
I have not been given everything you have been given but I have received the greatest gift....
There is one deed you can perform to adequately thank God for His generosity, proclaim His Cause.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It makes sense according to my experiences.

No.

Yeah no?

It makes more sense than the other religions I've looked into.

Its not fair to answer like this and deprive my answer. Especially your comment is the first one.

You have taken my exact answers so now what am I gonna do? Tsk. ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Did you convert?

I dont follow my religion nor do I lead it, instead I experience my religion.

One can say i was born into my religion because thats what has been there from the get go. Any doctrines or tenants expressed however were learned later on which I was not born into.

I dont see it as conversion, rather just a change in direction as with a lot of things in life. Things are provisional at best.

Of course its truth. Can't be truer than reality because that's what my religion is, just the experience of reality.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Because it makes more sense to me than any other religion

Indeed it makes sense to me abundantly

I was born into a non-religious family but was christened as an infant

But I don't think that had any effect on me, regarding God

When I was a kid I went to a church school, but didn't believe in God

Did you convert?
I'd say no, as I was never another religion before my current religion

Because it makes sense

Because of personal experience

Because of faith