• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Concern Yourself With the Beliefs of Others?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Ugh, you're going to give me PTSD...lol

I had the joy of managing a multi-faith global team for a couple of years. Did my best to cater to both general public holidays and religious observances, too.
1) I'm sure I didn't always manage it, but (as you say) people seemed to appreciate the effort.
2) My goodness it made scheduling a challenge.

In my years of management, I can relate to your pain.

I did my best to accommodate religious observances, working myself so another could celebrate their faith. In the rare instance that I couldn't, people still appreciated my efforts.

Altfish

Veteran Member
So your being inconvenienced should take precedence over that of the religious people that inspired this practice?

Because I'm sure it's no inconvenience for them to not be able to celebrate their beliefs because you decided you couldn't get out to buy that gallon of milk on Saturday evening.
No, shops will get more customers if they open at times when non-shop workers are not at work/school. It therefore makes imminent sense for shops to be able to open all day Saturday and Sunday; not restricted by ancient 'religious' laws.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No, shops will get more customers if they open at times when non-shop workers are not at work/school. It therefore makes imminent sense for shops to be able to open all day Saturday and Sunday; not restricted by ancient 'religious' laws.

Chik-Fil-A is closed on Sundays here in the states, not because of any laws, but because the founder is Christian and feels that Sunday should be a day of rest where people can celebrate their faith and spend time with friends and family and wants to see that happen for those under his employ.

It's not always about the Almighty Dollar™. Truth be told, I wish I had learned this earlier in life, but it was indoctrinated into me at a young age. I'm much happier now than I was 6 months ago.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Chik-Fil-A is closed on Sundays here in the states, not because of any laws, but because the founder is Christian and feels that Sunday should be a day of rest where people can celebrate their faith and spend time with friends and family and wants to see that happen for those under his employ.

It's not always about the Almighty Dollar™. Truth be told, I wish I had learned this earlier in life, but it was indoctrinated into me at a young age. I'm much happier now than I was 6 months ago.
I've no problem with shops deciding not to open on Holy Days BUT I do object to blanket bans that stop my local coffee shop opening when it would like to.
It is not about $£$£ but about giving the customers what they want.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I dunno if I'm a 'serpent', but when pointing the finger of ignorance, I tend to point it at myself first.
I'm more concerned by those claiming a lack of ignorance.
recently I posted....I will likely stand before God and heaven

They will look me over.....and it will be noticed
I know better

They will then ask if I told anyone else

your plea of ignorance is gone
if you've been reading any of my handiwork

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This thread was inspired by a video another member posted in another thread asking how we decide whether the claim of another is true or not true.

I think it's a pretty simple and straight forward question that requires no elaboration.

Why do you concern yourself with the beliefs or views of others?
I thought of several reasons, but they generally fall into two categories:

- if someone holds a belief that's contrary to mine, this might be because they have better evidence than I do, or because they thought the issue through better than I did. Checking out the beliefs of others has the potential to improve my beliefs.

- humans - including me - are social creatures that form relationships. Our actions are also informed by our beliefs. Because of this, another person's beliefs are relevant when deciding what sort of relationship to have with that person.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, reason tells us to not believe
that unevidenced things are real.
So one emotes one's way to belief
in things imagined.
I find many so-called believers are just head nodders
in congregation the wave their hands and say....amen

I am not that sort of believer
and here in the forum I dislay cause to nod

better to have a thought and cause for your declaration of belief

and the flip side...............nay saying has consequence

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
there will be no repeatable experiment

all you can do is think.....about it

You've already done this topic. If you want to discuss it, please go back to that thread. Don't derail this one.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
why do I concern myself with the belief of others?

to bolster that belief
with subtle correction
and encouragement

never to dismay

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The decision to close on Sunday also has some branding benefits as well. Dan Cathy has managed to create a brand that many Christians will seek out specifically because they see choosing that particular fast food restaurant as an expression of their faith.

Does this branding help their bottom line so much it offsets being closed one day a week? I don't know... but I do know that I - a Canadian who's seen a Chick-fil-A in person maybe twice - wouldn't really have known about this regional-becoming-national American fast food restaurant if it weren't for them and their founder branding themselves as Christian.

So while I can't climb into Dan Cathy's brain to see the thinking behind his decisions, I can recognize that Chick-fil-A's business strategy seems just as consistent with prioritizing the Almighty Dollar as any other company I can think of.

Edit: now I do know - turns out that they more than make up for being closed more than one day a week:

Chick-fil-A Makes More Per Restaurant Than McDonald's, Starbucks and Subway Combined … and It's Closed on Sundays