• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Concern Yourself With the Beliefs of Others?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not the point. Sundays are convenient, I was in our town this morning an shops were closed because they couldn't open until 11:00

Meanwhile, important meetings sometimes get scheduled on days that are religious holidays for minority groups and the majority is often insensitive to this entire issue. Minorities learn to deal with it. You can too. When your culture gets to dictate everything, you can stomp on everyone's religious observances too.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry for being a bit cheeky - but having had a case where someone tried to schedule me on a holiday (that I'd already requested off no less) - I don't have much tolerance for those who disrespect the religious observances of others. This comes even from folks you think are good people. They'll just do it, then not acknowledge the problem, or apologize for it. It was an awful experience and the first time I experienced significant religious discrimination. Folks just walk over you and don't care because they don't see the issue with what they're doing.

And that, perhaps, is why
everyone should care about the practices of others. To avoid that kind of cultural insensitivity that can be very hurtful in ways that few other things are. Minority religions generally don't expect others to be aware of their holidays, but at least making an effort to know something and be courteous means a lot. :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Meanwhile, important meetings sometimes get scheduled on days that are religious holidays for minority groups and the majority is often insensitive to this entire issue. Minorities learn to deal with it. You can too. When your culture gets to dictate everything, you can stomp on everyone's religious observances too.
That I don’t agree with either. If a work place schedules a meeting on a religious holiday and one person out of the entire team is told to suck it up because they’re the only one who observes it. I’d tell them to sue for discrimination. In fact I’m pretty sure that violates the anti discrimination laws over here anyway.
As for shops being closed on Sundays. I see a compromise. Individual stores can dictate their own hours and essential stores like grocery stores (and booze stores lol) can follow a fair Sunday trade. Where I live Sunday trade is typically 9 am to 5 or 6 pm. And workers are compensated with a higher wage. Most stores are open around here anyway. Only closing Good Friday and Christmas. And you know retail workers should also have a life too lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread was inspired by a video another member posted in another thread asking how we decide whether the claim of another is true or not true.

I think it's a pretty simple and straight forward question that requires no elaboration.

Why do you concern yourself with the beliefs or views of others?

It's a simple enough question, but there are levels to which the answer could be detailed.

My answers, for the most part, have very little to do with religiousness, or belief, and have much more to do with 'humanity'. People believe things, and hold world views which inform their actions. I've always sought to understand these, in a metacognitive sort of sense. Understanding people helps me understand myself, to some degree, and provides mental stimulation, and opportunity for growth. Whilst there is very little chance I'm suddenly going to become religious, that is completely different to whether or not I can learn anything from interacting with religious people, or in better understanding them. Some of the more impactful people in my life have been religious...whether I see their religions as 'true' or not doesn't change that.

But, like I said, it's not like religion is the lens through which I am seeking to understand the world. Philosophy, science, psychology, sociology, and...of course...basketball all have their place, and I consider each, albeit in a amateur and ham-fisted fashion. Each helps build my overall understanding of life and people.

In a more direct sense, though, I really don't much care what people believe in, as long as they couple it with a belief that others should be given the same courtesy.
Some of our beliefs directly impact on the world around us, though, and regardless of their source, I think we should feel empowered to discuss these, and argue/vote for those which impact the world in a positive direction.
Simple example would be that I favored marriage equality...whether their beliefs come from religion or not doesn't matter, but those opposing it were 'wrong' in my opinion. That 'wrongness' is unimportant when I'm living my normal life (for me, on this issue) but I don't feel like I shouldn't have an opinion, nor argue the case. Quite the opposite.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry for being a bit cheeky - but having had a case where someone tried to schedule me on a holiday (that I'd already requested off no less) - I don't have much tolerance for those who disrespect the religious observances of others. This comes even from folks you think are good people. They'll just do it, then not acknowledge the problem, or apologize for it. It was an awful experience and the first time I experienced significant religious discrimination. Folks just walk over you and don't care because they don't see the issue with what they're doing.

And that, perhaps, is why
everyone should care about the practices of others. To avoid that kind of cultural insensitivity that can be very hurtful in ways that few other things are. Minority religions generally don't expect others to be aware of their holidays, but at least making an effort to know something and be courteous means a lot. :D

Ugh, you're going to give me PTSD...lol

I had the joy of managing a multi-faith global team for a couple of years. Did my best to cater to both general public holidays and religious observances, too.
1) I'm sure I didn't always manage it, but (as you say) people seemed to appreciate the effort.
2) My goodness it made scheduling a challenge.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This one piques my curiosity. You take issue if a shop owner of a particular religion closes their shop on their religious holiday?

When I was in New Zealand...and when I was younger in Australia...there were very specific restrictions on Sunday trading based on Christian observances.
If I'm an atheist shop owner...or anyone else...I should be able to open without reference to concepts like 'the Sabbath'.

If I don't want to open...on any day...then I don't think anyone is suggesting I should.

As some others have mentioned, there is a need to look after staff, of course. I'm merely suggesting that religiously motivated restrictions are problematic.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I don't, unless it's directly affecting my life, and I can't see that happening. As to understanding why other people concern themselves with others, I have some ideas, but that's not what you asked.
Same.

Science human choice self now human machine possession thinking.

Became machine transmitted encoded subliminal non thinking feed back. All human science ideas for design. Built design controlled design by humans.

Self possession in science.

The human thinker.

Machine not designed first not built. All natural bodies including self existed.

Said I want to control O earth body. Entity he said was God.

Built designed first building machination pyramid by Phi design. Stone like the planet body. His memory I built with Phi stone.

God O a planet. Natural body self reactive. Is just a planet.

Machine built by Phi design not reactive. Stone not Phi. Blocks of stone designed building by Phi inference first.

Not God.

Reason to argue. Human. Human harmed by other human choices. Proven self possessed in science as a human. My equal as a life form except when they use built machines that hurt my life. Using fake old science human memories.

Remembering but also forgotten.

Only reason to argue against inanity because they are. Self possessed scientists.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't like working on Mondays, but I do
Fun fact (and totally off-topic): we call something that isn't working right out of the shop a "Montagsprodukt". (Only translation I found seems to be "a lemon".) It is something created by people like you, who are still hung over from the weekend and would rather not be at work.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why do you concern yourself with the lack of belief of others?

Does NOT believing that which you can't demonstrate offend you somehow? Do you believe everything you can't demonstrate? Like mermaids and fire-breathing dragons?
the topic is about motivation

I am here to work with people as we sort through whatever we believe

but here in the forum....we have serpents
breathing allegations of ignorance
insisting on proof
tossing stones

and we all know....yes we do
there will never be a photo, a fingerprint, equation or repeatable experiment
faith requires no proving

you have to reason your way to belief

and if you are here to take that away......what kind of animal are you?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

insisting on proof
tossing stones

I'm not here to take anything away from anyone, but I don't think I have a clue what you mean when you say, "you have to reason your way to belief."

You have to reason your way to belief in what? Extraterrestrials? Spaghetti Monsters? Demons instead of mental illness? God? Santa Claus? Untold wealth at the end of rainbows?

I'm willing to be that you don't believe in most of that list, but you do believe in one or two items on it. How does one, then, reason one's way to belief in God? Then the next (should be simple) step, how does one reason one's way to belief in demons? And if you can get there, what's so hard about fairies, elves, leprechauns and sprites? Just lack of sufficient motivation?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

insisting on proof
tossing stones

I dunno if I'm a 'serpent', but when pointing the finger of ignorance, I tend to point it at myself first.
I'm more concerned by those claiming a lack of ignorance.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Unfortunately too many public holidays in the West are organised around Christian Holy Days (Could argue that most of these are actually pagan, but...)
I suppose if the day means so much to an individual, you have to take a day's leave.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
and speaking of animals......

what is that avatar about?
I think I did explain elsewhere - as to my recognising other life (especially other primates) as to being our cousins, and the shocked expression as being alarm at human behaviour (damage to environment and such), with the moniker MT being about my impish nature and being rather resilient also. ;)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But isn’t that the primary reason why anyone would be active on a discussion forum? They want to hear from others and/or need others to be interested in their own POV.

That's not the reason I joined. My intent was to learn more about what makes people tick, and I understand religion and religious philosophies play a major role in that.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
even more so......why are there athiests among us?

Did you read the thread? Two have already answered, and some their answers were quite similar to a reason I would give had I answered my own question.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not the point. Sundays are convenient, I was in our town this morning an shops were closed because they couldn't open until 11:00

So your being inconvenienced should take precedence over that of the religious people that inspired this practice?

Because I'm sure it's no inconvenience for them to not be able to celebrate their beliefs because you decided you couldn't get out to buy that gallon of milk on Saturday evening.