• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Concern Yourself With the Beliefs of Others?

Heyo

Veteran Member
This thread was inspired by a video another member posted in another thread asking how we decide whether the claim of another is true or not true.
By employing logic. I like to think, I like to learn.
I think it's a pretty simple and straight forward question that requires no elaboration.

Why do you concern yourself with the beliefs or views of others?
Because it is like a game of GO. You have to employ logic and intuition to dissect an argument and counter it. Now, one can say that religious beliefs are some very low hanging fruit, especially the crazier ones, but not if you aim to convince your interlocutor, not only the audience.

pearl

As I understand it, your Church teaches that Conscience is the ultimate moral authority.

Yes, but isn't the moral aspect outside the Court's perimeter? Ought not the judgement of the Court be confined to the constitutionality of a law.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This thread was inspired by a video another member posted in another thread asking how we decide whether the claim of another is true or not true.

I think it's a pretty simple and straight forward question that requires no elaboration.

In the past i used to be very concerned about what other believed, because i was "sure" my belief was more "correct" than theirs, but that falled so hard on is back that i realized, if i gonna have a chance to become the one i "thought" i was. i have to focus on my own learning instead of trying to tell others what they "should" believe.
Now i am happy for every human being.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Because some of those beliefs would see me not having the full rights that citizens are entitled to. It also means sometimes there unnecessary suffering, and children needlessly suffer and die. Because sometimes they want to force their beliefs on others using the public school system, and teach what they approve of rather than the actual subject (like science and history). If it were more something like a bunch of snake bitters getting themselves killed and not getting children involved I wouldn't mind. But many (particularly the Christian Religious Right) wants special treatment, special privileges, and special rights not bestowed on others simply because they take to some passages in a book they look to that teaches them to be intolerant bigots and refuse to let their children be treated by real doctors and real medicine.

Clara Tea

Some theists believe that they must spread the word of God. So, they often go door to door and recruit new members.

I argue with some of their points, and as they insist that they must leave, I follow them down the block and continue to present my points (and you know that I can be long-winded).

Sure, they scream, and try to run away, and often stop to pray to God to deliver them from me, but I figure they'd be better off with my instructions than without (which is why I concern myself).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am not really concerned, but I am annoyed with certain religious beliefs because I think that are positively harmful to individuals but especially harmful to society and they have nothing to do with the Will of God for this age.

I am not concerned because I think these beliefs will eventually die on their own, they need no help from me.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hmm
Yes, I can see it from your point of view
BUT we should have limits on number of hours workers can be made to work.
Also, Mondays and Tuesdays are better days for break (although they may not coincide with the family)
You can't shop any other day except Sundays and holidays???

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't help myself - I've been asking big, philosophical/religious questions since I was cognizant enough to do so. Why wouldn't I be interested in all possible ways of answering those questions? Curiosity is intrinsic to all children. I simply never grew out of it. That it is something so many children grow out of is... very sad to me, really. Why wouldn't one be constantly curious and an eternal learner? Is it even possible to exist any other way? It isn't for me, at any rate. This is, perhaps, why I get confused about those who seek "the answer" as if there's only one way to respond to the question (or that there's one question, for that matter).

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

I have no problems with giving people who flat out ask for my opinion my opinion.
You know, like this thread and the thread that inspired this thread does.

I also have no problem concerning myself with beliefs and views of others which will have an impact on my life.
Nor do I feel any need to "justify" my concerns about the beliefs and or views of others that will impact my life.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's not the point. Sundays are convenient, I was in our town this morning an shops were closed because they couldn't open until 11:00
Lucky them. I wish my work would close on Sundays, or at least open later. It's not exactly enjoyable having to be at work before the crack of dawn on a Sunday. I am debating removing Sunday from my schedule availability altogether.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's not the point. Sundays are convenient, I was in our town this morning an shops were closed because they couldn't open until 11:00
Over here, I remember when stores were closed for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and often only open a few hours in the afternoon on Sundays, if they were open at all. That is not the case anymore, and many--if not most--places are open on the Holidays, and Sundays are about like any other day, except maybe a closing time that' a couple hours earlier than normal.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Lucky them. I wish my work would close on Sundays, or at least open later. It's not exactly enjoyable having to be at work before the crack of dawn on a Sunday. I am debating removing Sunday from my schedule availability altogether.
I don't like working on Mondays, but I do

joe1776

Yes, but isn't the moral aspect outside the Court's perimeter? Ought not the judgement of the Court be confined to the constitutionality of a law.
Good question but, for practical purposes, I doubt that the Court could hold that the Founders meant for the Constitution to support unjust or immoral laws.