• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Care...?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Why do you care if others try to discredit your religion?
I don't mind.
Deism can only recognise Nature as any kind of ruler around here, so aggressors can beat themselves to pieces against its name.

Do you feel you need to defend your religion to those who would discredit it?
No. I already know how vicious as well as beneficial that it can be.

Does it matter to you what others think about your worldview or beliefs?
No. My beliefs don't matter enough.

Does it weaken or negate your worldview or beliefs or help to reaffirm them? How so?
No to all of those.
I'm just a Deist.... :)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Why do you care if others try to discredit your religion?

Do you feel you need to defend your religion to those who would discredit it?
Since I don't have a religious belief (atheism not being such) I'm not sure how I might feel. It probably wouldn't bother me, just as having any particular view or belief is much the same - and disagreements or attacks on such is mostly expected of others, given that we all are different, have different abilities, knowledge, experiences, and even motivations. I'll leave the defending to all those who do have a different religious belief from the many others, and where they still think theirs is the correct one. :oops:
Does it matter to you what others think about your worldview or beliefs?
Said it above - not really - and even if I might have a minority view, I do know that many or even most will not have done the work necessary to form a valid opinion/belief, even if I too could have done a lot more and better. Studying one particular religious text seems to me more a form of indoctrination, especially when one doesn't even look at the criticisms or acknowledge any anomalies or other such.
Does it weaken or negate your worldview or beliefs or help to reaffirm them? How so?
What others think to weaken my beliefs? Couldn't care less basically, unless they can come up with evidence or arguments that would inform me - and religious texts from the past are not such, for me at least.

RestlessSoul

What faith? Faith is not truth so is a strawman

Can you tell those who threaten me and even my children with hell that they are threatening me with a myth,when i tell them they are threatening me with a 14 century poem and art they don't believe me

Dante's Divine Comedy? Haven't got round to reading that yet, do you recommend it?

I read Milton's Paradise Lost last summer. He basically rewrote Genesis, and created Satan as a fictional character, one who certainly took root in European culture (like Dante's hell?). The devil we all know and fear, seems to come as much from Milton as The Bible.

I think Milton's Lucifer is one of us really, cut off from God through pride (Ego, we'd call it now).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Dante's Divine Comedy? Haven't got round to reading that yet, do you recommend it?

I read Milton's Paradise Lost last summer. He basically rewrote Genesis, and created Satan as a fictional character, one who certainly took root in European culture (like Dante's hell?). The devil we all know and fear, seems to come as much from Milton as The Bible.

I think Milton's Lucifer is one of us really, cut off from God through pride (Ego, we'd call it now).

The modern vision of hell is based on Dante's inferno and some of the more fiery works of Hieronymus Bosch.

What i have read of Devine Comedy is good but the translation to English doesn't really do it justice, and its quite long. Being dyslexic I struggled with and gave up to put it on the shelf to finish another time.

RestlessSoul

The modern vision of hell is based on Dante's inferno and some of the more fiery works of Hieronymus Bosch.

What i have read of Devine Comedy is good but the translation to English doesn't really do it justice, and its quite long. Being dyslexic I struggled with and gave up to put it on the shelf to finish another time.

Hieronymous Bosch, yeah that guy put the fear of god into the teenage me, when I came across some of his paintings in an encyclopedia.

I assumed he was probably a paranoid schizophrenic, but apparently he wasn't; he was on a 'divine' mission to terrify people into religious orthodoxy. Irresponsible misuse of his talent, I call that. Genius, though.