• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Care...?

Clara Tea

Why do you care if others try to discredit your religion?

Bible says: Kill infidels.

Does the Koran Advocate Violence?

Christian and Islam religions spun off of Judaism. So, many of the Old Testament laws apply to both Christians and Islamics.

Deuteronmy 17: (stone to death those who worship other Gods or several Gods).

Psalms (Christian): smashing baby's heads against rocks.

Old testament: Many divinely ordained slaughters (example: killing Canaanites and taking their land).

Link (ABC News) says: Terrorists don't get 72 virgins, they get 72 raisins. If they are plump and delicious raisins that is still plenty of incentive to kill people.

Link (ABC News) says: "compensation for killing the disbeliever is half the blood money of the Muslim man."

Some might think that murdering infidels is the act of a paranoid psychotic schizophrenic, or a mass murderer. To some, this action of murder seems insane.

So that we don''t seem insane, we should first contact God directly for confirmation about the orders to murder people. To do this, we should writhe on the floor, babble incoherently in God's language (jkijlkjljlk), speaking in tongues. With this confirmation from God, we can kill (though God's 10 suggestions (formerly commandments) said something about not killing).

Heaven's Gate (religious group) - Wikipedia

Heaven's Gate UFO cult/commune of Reverend Marshal Applewhite and Bonnie Nettles, in San Diego, convinced members to commit suicide with penobarbital mixed with apple sauce or pudding and vodka, and put their heads in air tight plastic bags, so their souls would ride around the solar system on the passing Hale-Bopp comet.

Jonestown - Wikipedia

The Peoples Temple Agricultural Project (aka Jonestown, which started in Indianapolis and moved to Africa) murdered their whole cult by convincing them to drink poisoned grape Flavor Aid (not Kool-Aid)....I understand that deadly poison is not habit-forming.

Apparently, believers (not just infidels) are also murdered.

Why should we care if there are groups that brainwash their members into suicide (and sometimes kill our own family members)? That's a good question. Why care about society? Why care about others? Did God tell us to care about others? Did Christ cure the sick?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'll let you know if t ever happens.
Ergo, you do not know today whether you will let that child live or not. Correct?

Related question: do you agree that the State must override parents decisions, based on whatever belief, when it comes to the safety of little children?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
Ergo, you do not know today whether you will let that child live or not. Correct?

Related question: do you agree that the State must override parents decisions, based on whatever belief, when it comes to the safety of little children?

Ciao

- viole

Correct. I know what I believe, but I can't predict the future. Since I don't want to have children, I'm not expecting to have to deal with that particular situation.
It doesn't matter if I agree with the state or not. Sometimes they make decisions I find fair and other times they don't. According to the Bible, God allowed human governments to be in charge for the time being and I respect that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It wouldn't matter if it was mine or not - I'm not a fan of intentionally destructive behavior. Trying to discredit someone else's way of life (religion) is an intentionally destructive behavior; it's a jerk thing to do. Unsurprisingly, we also have rules against that here precisely because it's not constructive behavior. If someone's only intention is to tear someone else down a peg, get outta the pool.

Do you feel you need to defend your religion to those who would discredit it?

Not really. Their goal is to try and destroy me. They don't deserve any of my time or attention. Or if they do, it is only because I have an obligation (as here) to hold them accountable for their bad behavior.

Does it matter to you what others think about your worldview or beliefs?

Rarely. There was a cute t-shirt I ran across once. It said - "don't worry about what others think; they don't do it very often." Folks can think what they want. How that articulates into action is what's more important and also quite variable even with similar thoughts.

Does it weaken or negate your worldview or beliefs or help to reaffirm them? How so?

Presuming by "it" we mean "what others think" - there's not much community element to my path. As such, what others do or think has far less of an impact as it does for more communal religions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
William-Casey-CIA-disinfo-campaign-800x385.jpg.optimal.jpg

Do we want them to win?

Every misinformation is a possible source of a wrong and potentially fatal decision. I not only care about false informations about my world view but about all misinformation.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Does it weaken or negate your worldview or beliefs or help to reaffirm them? How so?

Do you know that Atheists in this forum (with my anecdotal experience) are much much much more sensitive when someone makes even a simple statement about atheism, atheists or some historical fact. Even some of the most extreme religious folk "in this forum" dont act like that. You should think that the same questions you asked in this OP could be asked from you, and everyone ones.

You opened this thread in response to another. You should ask yourself too.

Peace.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't, really. Honestly, most people I run across don't know enough of Hinduism to try to discredit it in any meaningful way.

Others can think what they want of my beliefs(or van, or clothes, or dinner choices), and I really don't care. I will make decisions based off of what suites me, and I expect they will make choices based off of what suites them.

Curiously, I find overall I've spent more time defending the faiths of others; sometimes religions that don't reflect my thinking in the least. What I don't like is people being mean. When I see someone swooping in like a bird to poo all over the windshield of another's faith, I instinctively get the firehose ready...

I see no reason to discourage respectful debate, but I object when others come in to try to belittle another person's belief system or way of life for no other reason than to try to make the person feel inferior.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you know that Atheists in this forum (with my anecdotal experience) are much much much more sensitive when someone makes even a simple statement about atheism, atheists or some historical fact. Even some of the most extreme religious folk "in this forum" dont act like that. You should think that the same questions you asked in this OP could be asked from you, and everyone ones.

You opened this thread in response to another. You should ask yourself too.

Peace.

As I said, the thread was inspired by another. It's not "in response" to another. I genuinely want to know if and why people care.

I'll note here that rather than responding to my questions, you chose to do some finger pointing instead.

If atheists wish to respond here, they are more than welcome if they feel their absence of belief is somehow being discredited.

My answers to my own questions are actually quite simple...

I don't. I've rarely come across those that would discredit Hinduism, and those that do quickly reveal their ignorance of the religion's philosophies, beliefs, views, deities and their roles, or scripture thereby discrediting themselves.​

No. In fact, I find myself more often defending others' religions and worldviews, or more accurately, their right to have the beliefs and philosophies therein. This includes atheism.​

Not even a little. My views are personal, and I understand that not everyone will appreciate them or find them to be valid.

My views are based on my experiences, so it would be silly to think that those who have not shared in my experiences would share my views.​

What others think about my worldview does not change my experiences, so their judgment of them really have no impact whatsoever.​

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't, really. Honestly, most people I run across don't know enough of Hinduism to try to discredit it in any meaningful way.

Others can think what they want of my beliefs(or van, or clothes, or dinner choices), and I really don't care. I will make decisions based off of what suites me, and I expect they will make choices based off of what suites them.

Curiously, I find overall I've spent more time defending the faiths of others; sometimes religions that don't reflect my thinking in the least. What I don't like is people being mean. When I see someone swooping in like a bird to poo all over the windshield of another's faith, I instinctively get the firehose ready...

I see no reason to discourage respectful debate, but I object when others come in to try to belittle another person's belief system or way of life for no other reason than to try to make the person feel inferior.

I promise you I did not copy off of your response. We posted at practically the same time. I can hold my own when it comes to typing, but I certainly couldn't type out what I did in my previous response in less than a minute. :D

firedragon

Veteran Member
As I said, the thread was inspired by another. It's not "in response" to another. I genuinely want to know if and why people care.

I'll note here that rather than responding to my questions, you chose to do some finger pointing instead.

If atheists wish to respond here, they are more than welcome if they feel their absence of belief is somehow being discredited.

My answers to my own questions are actually quite simple...

I don't. I've rarely come across those that would discredit Hinduism, and those that do quickly reveal their ignorance of the religion's philosophies, beliefs, views, deities and their roles, or scripture thereby discrediting themselves.​

No. In fact, I find myself more often defending others' religions and worldviews, or more accurately, their right to have the beliefs and philosophies therein. This includes atheism.​

Not even a little. My views are personal, and I understand that not everyone will appreciate them or find them to be valid.

My views are based on my experiences, so it would be silly to think that those who have not shared in my experiences would share my views.​

What others think about my worldview does not change my experiences, so their judgment of them really have no impact whatsoever.​

I dont like false statements, against any religion or atheism. Lots of people lie, and practice bigotry, and pseudo scholarship garnered from famous media vessels, and I am interested because this is my field.

No.

Not in this forum.

Does it weaken or negate your worldview or beliefs or help to reaffirm them? How so?[/QUOTE]

No. Mostly, due to criticism, false or good enough, spurs some research and that provides more confidence and knowledge about people and general.

74x12

Interesting question.

What I care about is people. Because a lot believers are weak in faith and easily swayed by arguments. I don't want them to be lost. Secondly because the people attacking the truth themselves must face God one day and they will be judged. Yes I do care for them also. They'll have to explain themselves. Not something I usually talk about as much but it's what I believe.

thomas t

non-denominational Christian

yes it does. For the simple reason that for Abraham, it also mattered what people talked about him, see Genesis 14:23.
Thank you for asking.

Colt

Lucifer was allowed to inject his manifesto into our vulnerable, innocent world so we are left to dish it right back to his now discredited memory. Its incumbent upon the loyalist to fight the battle in defense of the rule of the Universal Father in the hearts of mankind.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lucifer was allowed to inject his manifesto into our vulnerable, innocent world so we are left to dish it right back to his now discredited memory. Its incumbent upon the loyalist to fight the battle in defense of the rule of the Universal Father in the hearts of mankind.

And that's that you believe of your religion?

We can look at this 2 ways

download (5).jpeg

Or

Godvssatan.jpg

Which do you prefer?

Colt

And that's that you believe of your religion?

We can look at this 2 ways

View attachment 49059

Or

View attachment 49060

Which do you prefer?
Lucifer took many more with him into real, eternal death.

The Israelites vastly exaggerated a Mesopotamian flood when they found that they were unable to trace their blood lines back to Adam who they assumed was the first human. They were trying to establish an authoritative line of decent for their priest class.

Suave

Simulated character
You seem reasonable and intelligent. We could probably agree that, if there is a God, its not God that is lost?
Eight of the canonical amino acids can be sufficiently defined by the composition of their codon's first and second based nucleotides. The nucleon sum of the side chains for these amino acids is 333 (=37x3 squared), the sum of their block nucleons(core structure) is 592(=37x4 squared)v and the sum of their total nucleons is 925(=37x5 squared). With 037 factored out, this results in 3 squared plus 4 squared plus 5 squared, which is representative of an Egyptian Triangle. This mathematical pattern found in our genetic code conveys to me a symbol of an Egyptian Triangle as well as the number 37 embedded in our genetic code

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lucifer took many more with him into real, eternal death.

The Israelites vastly exaggerated a Mesopotamian flood when they found that they were unable to trace their blood lines back to Adam who they assumed was the first human. They were trying to establish an authoritative line of decent for their priest class.

Evidence please