• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you care?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Seems to be a lot of individuals around here that care a great deal about if someone does or does not believe in God. So why do people care if someone does or does not believe in God?

Bob the Unbeliever

I do not, and would defend anyone's right to believe that squirrels are the root-cause of springtime.

But whenever people go out and begin making up rules that everyone is forced to follow, because they think their invisible sky-fairy has commanded them to?

We are going to have a problem.

And whenever people want to insert their bronze-age superstitious nonsense in science class, as "a valid alternative"?

Don't like abortions? Don't get one-- you don't have the right to take away other people's choices.

Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one-- you do not have the right to suppress other people's marriages.

Don't accept the validity of science? Fine-- keep your kids home and ignorant, you don't get to force your bronze age beliefs onto other people's kids. PS, your kids will likely not be hired by the other kids, if they ever grow up...

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I care inasmuch as it tells me something about that person, at least if we have a discussion beyond the superficial "I am a theist/atheist." If theology and religion are not important to that person's way of life, though, it is not very informative at all.

Oh, and I suppose I care when I see unnecessarily pejorative attitudes like those expressed by our first respondent. But that has less to do with one's status as a theist or atheist and more to do with... uh... other things.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Seems to be a lot of individuals around here that care a great deal about if someone does or does not believe in God. So why do people care if someone does or does not believe in God?

Most human beings have a strong drive for social acceptance and compliance - this goes for themselves as well as others. Also (somewhat related), many people feel personally threatened or diminished when someone doesn't share or validate their worldview. These are both symptoms of closed and limited minds, which, unfortunately, seems to be more the norm than otherwise.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
A lot of the time it is an ego defense reaction against an opposite side that appears intelligent too.

Some feel God belief is holding back humanity and they're on a social mission.

Some feel eternity is effected by your beliefs so they are on a religious mission.

For me, I like to advance my beliefs before others because I believe they are beneficial to a person's long run happiness. I know I have gained from the input of others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They're insecure about their own beliefs, and by trying to convince others, it makes the small ego feel better.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
They're insecure about their own beliefs, and by trying to convince others, it makes the small ego feel better.

I've often heard this claimed. I have not seen it evidenced. Just mulling it over, I don't see how caring about one's status as a theist/atheist would necessarily mean one is insecure. It might not necessarily reflect personality traits at all. Much of who a person is comes from their environment, not personality. I'd wager if someone grows up in a combative household where there is a lot of arguing, one might tend to be more combative and confrontational about a wide variety of issues, theism/atheism and beyond. Communication skills and styles are learned by examples and training, yes?

Fire_Monkey

Because if you are an objective and rational and educated person, such as I, then you fully understand that extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

Yet...NOT ONE godist has ever been able to provide us with ANY evidence of their god. Let alone proof. Thusly, it sometimes annoys the more rabid of our clan--such as the Richard Dawkins and Sam Harrisses--when these godists have the temerity to intrude upon our science. To try and disprove it--which of course they cannot do and have never come close to doing.

If they stay in their own forums and in their own churches and do not attempt to claim that the bible and Genesis are anything close to being science, than we are fine. But if they dare impose their imaginary friend belief on us, as they do when they deny Evolution, then, well, the proverbial gloves will sometimes be discarded. LOL

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've often heard this claimed. I have not seen it evidenced. Just mulling it over, I don't see how caring about one's status as a theist/atheist would necessarily mean one is insecure. It might not necessarily reflect personality traits at all. Much of who a person is comes from their environment, not personality. I'd wager if someone grows up in a combative household where there is a lot of arguing, one might tend to be more combative and confrontational about a wide variety of issues, theism/atheism and beyond. Communication skills and styles are learned by examples and training, yes?

Yes. But there is overlap, in my opinion. Growing up in a combative home may be a partial cause for insecurity, no?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. But there is overlap, in my opinion. Growing up in a combative home may be a partial cause for insecurity, no?

Fair point. I try not to make too many assumptions about folks... particularly when it doesn't cast them in a good light. Maybe that's a bad habit of mine (or a good one, depending on one's point of view). :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Fair point. I try not to make too many assumptions about folks... particularly when it doesn't cast them in a good light. Maybe that's a bad habit of mine (or a good one, depending on one's point of view). :D

Yeah. It happens, this jumping to unfair conclusions stuff. I think it's a good point to not make assumptions. My comment, upon reflection was overgeneralising. Twice (that I really remember) in my teaching days did I discover stuff about kids after I (and teachers before me) had jumped to conclusions. One was a 'slow learner' kid who'd never had his hearing tested. Guess what? The other, sadly, was a 'food thief' who turned to be just hungry.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Communication skills and styles are learned by examples and training, yes?

Upon further reflection, there are bonafide diagnosable disabilities too. Probably rarer than nurture, but some is nature. Can't imagine arguing with Rain Man.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I never feel like people's faith should be ripped away, some people are kinda fragile that way. People are generally happier when they have hope and faith in things, as opposed to wallowing in doubt and dispair, so I respect it and allow people their beliefs.

Mary Blackchurch

Free from Stockholm Syndrome

I don't care about what people believe so long as their not peddling it for me to believe. I mean, I don't have a problem with the Amish - and they're pretty fundamentalist in their behaviour. I don't care. No one worries about quakers. They don't peddle their beliefs.

I do care that collectively (and sometimes individually) people with gods in their theology tend to tout it as an authority to demonstrate that paedophilia is okay so long as it's covert and cloaked behind the skirts of the Vatican. I also care when religion/god is used as a means of fear in order to extort money from the masses who follow. In effect, I dislike any institution that behaves like the mafia. And if anyone thinks about it honestly, these large institutions do just that - including Scientology. I do have a problem with these charlatans.

Otherwise, I have to admit; there are a lot of people who believe strange things. I am fine with them. If they're not selling it as truth, I'm good.

miodrag

So why do people care if someone does or does not believe in God?

First, why God spoke Bhagavad-gita etc. if He does not want that knowledge to become popular? So it may be His will we are following. Next, Christianity is a model for our civilization. And our civilization is getting more and more secular, as it becomes more critical about Christianity. So, a proper model for a civilization may be a good thing, a model that would be most accurate and beneficial. Regardless if it is a materialistic or spiritual model. Believers argue that God is the ultimate truth and omitting Him from the model may not result with the optimal civilization.

So, it is a competition about the world we want to live in. Most of the time we want the same thing - a paradise. Difference is that atheists want a paradise without God, and theist say that it is artificial paradise and will not last.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
First, why God spoke Bhagavad-gita etc. if He does not want that knowledge to become popular? So it may be His will we are following. Next, Christianity is a model for our civilization. And our civilization is getting more and more secular, as it becomes more critical about Christianity. So, a proper model for a civilization may be a good thing, a model that would be most accurate and beneficial. Regardless if it is a materialistic or spiritual model. Believers argue that God is the ultimate truth and omitting Him from the model may not result with the optimal civilization.

So, it is a competition about the world we want to live in. Most of the time we want the same thing - a paradise. Difference is that atheists want a paradise without God, and theist say that it is artificial paradise and will not last.

You do realize that secularism does not exclude religion, right? It just excludes religion from being imposed or forced on the people.

jonathan180iq

But whenever people go out and begin making up rules that everyone is forced to follow, because they think their invisible sky-fairy has commanded them to?

And whenever people want to insert their bronze-age superstitious nonsense in science class, as "a valid alternative"?

100%

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think believing in God or not really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Our short life span sees to that, and in essence makes it a no harm no foul instance, as any retention of such thoughts and determinations while alive will permanently cease then and there when we die.

Still, at least for the duration, I think some would want to know actuality however brief as may be, as to the converse with believing in something is isn't really there.

As others have mentioned, sometimes undue interference caused by beliefs can result in life issues that impact people while living. People care enough to address those issues as they will impact others that remain, or those just starting out in life when we ourselves are long gone.