• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you care what other people believe?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Religious Forums, by it's own name, suggests that it's about discussion/debate about religions. I'm going to suppose that can be broadened into beliefs in general. So we are here because we want to talk about our beliefs, and perhaps because we want to hear others talk about their beliefs or lack thereof -- or perhaps because we care about what others believe or don't, for one reason or another.

So this question is posed to the latter group -- those who actually do care about what other people believe.

Tell us, if you care about what other people believe -- or don't believe: why do you care? What does it matter to you?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I seek understanding: for myself, of others; for others, of me. Intellectual curiosity at least in part, but also interested in how people respond and think about their experiences in life.

I also care when in the course of human affairs, the beliefs of individuals or groups infringe on me or others (groups or individuals). Such conflicts need discussion and reasoning together to come up with solutions...even if no solution occurs within the near term...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm always curious of why peoole believe what they do then I get knocked senseless when my curiosity is seen as an attack. So, I kinda care about what others believe since I'm not a negative person at heart but on RF religion and otherwise I just got to accept people don't care about people outside their radar.

I think religion is a condensed version of people's prejudices but outside of that I care when it poses on other people's rights but not to where I'm an activist over it.

Gargovic Malkav

Can't say I always do.
But when I do, it's a good way to get a better understanding of others, and I might learn something useful from them.
It's also a good way to test my ego.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I love discusiing about religions.
Learning from other religions...so I don't really care if people are theists, atheists, agnostics...whatever.

Eyes to See

Jesus said he came to lite a fire:

I came to start a fire on the earth, and what more is there for me to wish if it has already been lit?"-Luke 12:49.

The world lives in darkness, because the ruler of the world is the ruler of darkness.

But the fire Jesus spread cannot be put out. Those of us who carry those flames cannot hide them:

You are the light of the world. A city cannot be hid when located on a mountain. People light a lamp and set it, not under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it shines on all those in the house. Likewise, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heavens."-Matthew 5:14-16.

The dark cannot understand the light. But the one who is allowed to see the light becomes alive.

It means your life.

The truth is contagious, because it is logical and can be proven. It cannot be hidden. All else is darkness and falsehood and cannot be proven. It will fade into nothing, and the light will remain. The truth will be forever.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Religious Forums, by it's own name, suggests that it's about discussion/debate about religions. I'm going to suppose that can be broadened into beliefs in general. So we are here because we want to talk about our beliefs, and perhaps because we want to hear others talk about their beliefs or lack thereof -- or perhaps because we care about what others believe or don't, for one reason or another.

So this question is posed to the latter group -- those who actually do care about what other people believe.

Tell us, if you care about what other people believe -- or don't believe: why do you care? What does it matter to you?
I care less about what people believe and more about why they believe what they believe.
It gives me insight into the flaws of human reasoning - and, hopefully, helps me avoid them.

"I want to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible."
- Matt Dillahunty

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Jesus said he came to lite a fire:

I came to start a fire on the earth, and what more is there for me to wish if it has already been lit?"-Luke 12:49.

The world lives in darkness, because the ruler of the world is the ruler of darkness.

But the fire Jesus spread cannot be put out. Those of us who carry those flames cannot hide them:

You are the light of the world. A city cannot be hid when located on a mountain. People light a lamp and set it, not under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it shines on all those in the house. Likewise, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heavens."-Matthew 5:14-16.

The dark cannot understand the light. But the one who is allowed to see the light becomes alive.

It means your life.

The truth is contagious, because it is logical and can be proven. It cannot be hidden. All else is darkness and falsehood and cannot be proven. It will fade into nothing, and the light will remain. The truth will be forever.

Considering that the JW's are such a small group, despite them preaching all over the place, then clearly the JW beliefs are not contagious, therefore by your own reasoning it is illogical and cannot be proven?

The above is one of the reasons why I am on the forum, to test my wits against what I perceive are lapses in logic of other posters. Then I debate them and see whose argument holds up the best. My mind has been changed quite a few times on topics because of this method of challenging others.

I think that ignorance and indoctrination of religions should be combatted because they cause so many problems in society. Also religions have to be defended against those who have an unreasonably antagonistic view towards them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm always curious of why peoole believe what they do then I get knocked senseless when my curiosity is seen as an attack. So, I kinda care about what others believe since I'm not a negative person at heart but on RF religion and otherwise I just got to accept people don't care about people outside their radar.

I think religion is a condensed version of people's prejudices but outside of that I care when it poses on other people's rights but not to where I'm an activist over it.
As one who been a part of many questions from you i can say that at the time when my answer was attacking you back or seem to be angry toward you or others who asked similar questions, it was from my own lack of understanding and lacking confidence in what i believed and understood. When i could not answer you back in a good way, i got angry and tried to blame you or others for questions that was totally my own fault that i could not answer :)

So those attacks you experience with religious or spiritual people, might come from their own lack of wisdom.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I'm interested in finding out about beliefs and religions, and points of view.
I've learned a lot on RF over the years and spoken with so many other folks about so many subjects that I would not even have known about before.

There are a very few here who just shout their own agenda but the rules of RF diminish their voices to a mere nothing.

:)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Because all human behavior in regards to other humans are based on beliefs. So it always effect us. What I believe and what you believe.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I find all religions interesting.
However I have little interest in what others chose to believe, it is entirely their own business.

My main concern is when religions force themselves or their beliefs on to other people.
or prevent people joining or leaving them freely.
or worse still control who they can associate themselves with, especially when it is members of their own family.
Or are associated with militant or terrorist activities or prejudice of any sort.

Even some branches of Christianity fail these tests.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm going to suppose that can be broadened into beliefs in general.
True. There is even a saying in Dutch "He is very religious about it":D

Interesting topic. Thanks.

Why do I care (how does this whole care thing work)?:
IF someone gives you a knife saying "cut out your heart" THEN you won't do that
IF next he gives you the knife saying "cut out my heart" THEN you might have done so BUT with above experience empathy develops
IF next he gives you the knife saying "cut out D.T's heart" THEN you might be tempted BUT scared or even wondering if the person has a heart
IF next he gives you the knife saying "cut out Superman's heart" THEN you might do it, as it is just a virtual reality BUT it might impact your empathy

How much you care has everything to do with the level of empathy and compassion you have developed; if you developed your "feeling"

The further away the other is the more difficult it is to feel empathy.
And if you train yourself in the "virtual world" probably you become so in the"real world" before you realize.
Having people watch films depicting some "new normal" is a known fact to influence and control people (hence all the ads. and Hollywood movies).
If you watch things (or the other senses) then before you know you develop these feelings.

Why do I care what others believe? What does it matter to me?
I care that all are free to believe as they like, and I care that others don't impose on me, and due to this feeling don't impose on each other. When I was young I was not allowed my feelings, hence I developed the feeling that it is important for me to trust and own my feelings. This is something personal, hence I care to not cross these limits with others.

If others decide to choose a path that I have experienced as very painful, then I am motivated to warn them, but I also realize from my own experience that when you go very deep in an emotion that afterwards you can gain a lot. So, sometimes it might be better not to interfere, and let someone "drown a bit". And when asked "to care" then it usually is the right time to care.

Why do I care what others believe?
If you specifically ask about "beliefs" then I am fine with whatever others believe, as long as they don't hurt me and/or others in the process. Again, when it comes to something personal then my ego might jump in and try to dissuade them, but the good thing of RF is, that I become more aware of this now, seeing so many different views, and losing this urge to change things or people.

Change yourself first if you want to change the world they say. Maybe that is just enough even.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Because some of their beliefs if realized can effect my life negatively. I do actively seek a better life for myself and my family and friends. I have friends of different ethnicities. Lets say I find a lot of people believe a certain ethnicity needs to be thrown out of town. I can warn my friends, help my friends and fight for my friends. That is why I care about others beliefs. If their beliefs aren't going to effect Me, My family or Friends I generally don't care.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Don't much care what they believe....especially you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I don't like misconceptions about another belief if that misconception hurts humanity. The belief that a certain race is inferiour, or worse, inhuman, for example, needs correcting, in my view. I think it's duty to do your bit in getting along. I also see the primary reason for that is ignorance. Discussion, if done correctly, helps dispel ignorance. Friendliness uplifts people.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There are several reasons that I care about what other people think:

1. I may be wrong in my own beliefs. Perhaps, through discussion, my own errors will become apparent and I can then change by viewpoint to align more with reality.

2. I have an intellectual curiosity about how our views have changed over time. How did we get to the predominant worldviews we see today? How did people in the past differ in their views? What caused them to change?

3. Beliefs often produce action. In order to understand the actions of others, it is a good idea to understand their beliefs and thereby their motivations.

4. In a society, it is often necessary to make compromises in order to get things done. Understanding the beliefs of others can allow the formation of alliances to make more people interested in some project.

5. Often, people commit violence based on their ideas. Knowing their beliefs prepares me to expect such violence.

Yes, I know the last 3 are variations on a common theme, but the fact that beliefs lead to actions is crucial to either accepting or avoiding those actions.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Beliefs do inform actions, so there's a potential for someone else's belief to affect me personally, but I think that most of it is that I'm just curious about how things work.