• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe what you do?

JeremK

Title.

I'll explain my reasons for believing what I do later on in the post, as I cannot at the moment I'm writing this.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
From my study of paranormal type things I realized the universe is vastly more complex on the issue of life/consciousness than could be understood through my previous materialist view. Investigation of what this 'more' could be lead me to various sources the best of which drew from the ancient eastern/Indian/Vedic wisdom tradition. I found non-dual thinking (God and creation are not-two) (Advaita) to give the deepest and most complete concepts by far that I have come across.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't know if I'm a "Determinist" or not, but I believe as I believe because it's the way my mind interprets the world around me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If determinism is akin to "dependent origination", the tapestry of wyrd, örlög or even karma, I'm in.

Like @Riverwolf said, It's the way my mind works.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What I suspect is that our experience of reality is created by the subconscious mind and the experience of that reality maybe more flexible than we imagine.

Consciously, we generally don't have a lot of control over that experience however it is possible to some degree to exert limited control. I don't know to what extent.

I believe people can create the experience of God. God can become part of a person's reality in any sense or perception of reality that matters. It's just us though, on an unconscious level creating reality for the conscious self to experience.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I like Quintessence answer: Would you like "the long version or the short version?"
Title.

I'll explain my reasons for believing what I do later on in the post, as I cannot at the moment I'm writing this.

I believe what I believe because it makes sense. I don't try to believe in it. I don't have to say it is a belief; because, I know it is true. It is, how Riverwolf says, "it's the way my mind works." It's my worldview.

I mean, my former and present faiths are a part of me. It is like asking "why are you who you are?" I really have no concecrete answer for that. I am like Eve. How did my therapist asked me years ago, "so who are you today?" That, was a creepy time of my life then.

If someone told me my beliefs are wrong (and if they were right), I would go into shock. Someone asked me years ago "why don't I believe in the Christian God?" After I answered, he says "why don't you believe just in case?" I don't like living in "just-in-case" scenarios in any faith that does not call to me one hundred percent.

I don't like to say, "I believe" really. My faith and worldviews are facts to me. I cannot see the world in any other way.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Title.

That's a pretty all-encompassing question. Why do I believe what I do about (a) God, (b) Christianity, (c) salvation, (d) the scriptures, (e) baptism, (f) the priesthood (g) health codes, (h) etc.? If you'll be more specific, I'd be delighted to answer.

arthra

Baha'i
Why do I believe what I do...?

Well my search was a long one from exploring various religions and studying them.. Eventually I found what resonated for me .. what was the vibrating bell of truth and it did not deny what had been before in the great dispensations of the past...but rather complemented them in a way that also revealed the progressive revelation of God from age to age...

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Because whenever I look deep within an animal, buried under all the impermanent flesh, painted over by the illusory mind, I see we are the same.
And whenever I look deep within a tree, deep within the bark, I see the inaction and lack of personality and notice we too are the same.
And whenever I look into inanimate objects, I look beyond the matter and see that they are the same as me as well.

On whatever level you look onto this world from, the micro or the macro or somewhere in between, there's always a pattern that I feel proves to me that there is nothing but One. The pattern? The only thing matter truly does is exist, as do all of us.

So I believe what I do because I when I boarded the train of philosophy trying to find myself, it was right under my nose the whole time. I found myself... everywhere.

Laika

Premium Member
I am a materialist and previously a communist. I read some books several years ago and accepted these ideas but after questioning them for a long time, I'm now unsure what exactly I believe. I'm in a sort of transition at the moment.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
'Because it makes sense' is pretty much it. But allow me to explain what that means from my POV. It makes sense because of what I've been through, what I've learned from years of studying and questioning and praying and meditating and crying. It makes sense because of what I've experience and that makes it fact and faith to me at the same time (though I realize that for some it will stay faith without explanation and for others it will mean absolutely nothing and I'm fine with that without trying to change anyone because that is they're path). It makes sense because of science, yes, but also in spite of science (not to insult those of us who have firm faith in science, but people - all of us including the hardcore scientists - will believe what they want no matter what). And then, yes again, I also don't like a 'what if' situation... But the thing is if God doesn't exist and there is nothing after this life then I lose nothing because I live my life to the best and have joy therein