• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do You Believe What You Believe?

Master Vigil

I used to be catholic, but after I turned 16 on that full moon night, and my soul's wolf side was set free, everything changed. I started smelling things and feeling things that I never knew existed. And it is through the guidance of these spirits that I deal with everyday that I came to understand the flow of nature. I came to understand the Tao, and the earth. And I came to understand the spirits of the Tao and earth. I do not believe what others write, or whats written in a book, I believe in what I experience. I believe what I perceive.

Allan

I grew up as an observer with not much to say.
Engineering taught me to look at basic principles and to not just fix something but to improve design if any observation indicated that this would improve it's working life.

Lifes observation and my interaction in it threw up some unresolveable dilemas.
A positive change into a good life style gave me some time out and a spontaneous and unsearched for supernatural experience explained the missing dimension in my life I
didn't even know existed.

I have tested and proven what I believe but can understand why others wouldn't.

I believe what I do because God has taught me. Being understood is an entirely different matter.

Master Vigil

Iyyob, why not a history book. Just because it is right about some history does not mean it proves the existance of god. It is written in history books, why not believe them??

Yerda

Veteran Member
I believe in people not Gods. I'll leave it to the Gods to believe in each other. I think I have more faith in the ideas of welfare, relief and aid (and I recognise the irony since the church is involved in these) than commandments, smiting and other mischief.

Scott1

I believe because I want to...... I can't think of anything else.

I did not want to believe in God 2 years ago, and I felt empty inside..... I started to read...... did some research...... read one last book: A Skeptic's Search for God By Ralph Muncaster and.....

BAM........I had faith....... and I was happier.

Simple, really.

I know sometimes my posts must come off as ridgid with the Catechism quotes and all, but it really all boils down to what happened inside my ears....... and the joy I feel with Christ in my life.

If I can make someone else feel this good by helping them come to know a higher power..... God, Jesus, Buddah, Muhaamed, Voodoo man, whatever, it would make me happy.

For those of you out there with no faith, or one different than mine..... if you are happy, I LOVE IT!!!!

My God is love, my love is god.... my God is happiness, my happiness is god.
Can you see the light? My light is god, My God is light...... Amen

Peace,
Scott

Metanoia

My beliefs are an eclectic mish-mash. Because every one of us is an individual then I don't believe any one path will ever be right for everyone. Through an individual eclectic mix I feel I always have access to exactly what spiritual concepts or energies I need at any one time.

My beliefs centre largely around pagan and gnostic philosophies. I cannot believe anything which attempts to take a mythology and display it as truth. Through esoteric study any religion can blend in harmony with science and esoterically they add to each other. Also on an esoteric level in my experience all religions blend together with common philosophies.

If something clicks within my psyche I will take that piece of spiritual philosophy and add it to the rest. If it doesn't click then I will leave it and perhaps visit with it again at another time.

Scott1

Zohaib,

I agree with you, but it might be a good idea to post the reasons why you believe something is true.

The one liners, however fun they may be to post, do nothing to support your views..... and I am hoping that's why you are here!

Peace,
Scott

Irenicas

high overlord of sod all
I believe what I believe (a form of theravada Buddhism) because when I was going through a bad patch (some of you will know what I'm talking about. If not, see the suicide thread) I had so much trouble just being me, and then when I came out fighting, I decided the best way the fight was to learn what I was and who I was, so I studied religion. I turned away from any idea of God or gods, and boy, that didn't leave much. I was an absolute pacifist from day one, so that helped. ANd when I read about renicarnation, it just seemed to make sense to me. It just clicked for some reason. After that, it was just a case of finding the right name for what I believed. After that, I read some of the Sutras about Buddha (I recommend the middle length ones to start with) and from there on in I was hooked.

(Q)

I started to read...... did some research...... read one last book: A Skeptic's Search for God By Ralph Muncaster and.....

BAM........I had faith....... and I was happier.

Simple, really.

One book?!? That's all it took?!?? :eek:

Dude!

Scott1

(Q)

One book?!? That's all it took?!??
Well, that was the last one......... there were 30 years or so of others...... Age of Reason was my favorite when I was an athiest......

Peace,
Scott

"I believe in God because science proves there IS a God."

So it is not a question of faith for you, Zohaib, it is purely a matter of evidence and proof?

It's weird hearing theists talk about how they used to be atheists....then again, when I was a theist it was wierd hearing atheists talk about how they used to be theists...go figure.

(Q)

when I was an athiest......

A special case - I rarely hear of an athiest turning theist. One would have to literally 'See a God.' Perhaps you were agnostic?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Compare, for example ...
Zohaib said:
A second proof is seen in the energy sources that fuel the cosmos. Like all stars, the sun generates its energy by a nuclear process known as thermonuclear fusion. Every second that passes, the sun compresses 564 million tons of hydrogen into 560 million tons of helium with 4 million tons of matter released as energy. In spite of that tremendous consumption of fuel, the sun has only used up 2% of the hydrogen it had the day it came into existence. This incredible furnace is not a process confined to the sun. Every star in the sky generates its energy in the same way. Throughout the cosmos there are 25 quintillion stars, each converting hydrogen into helium, thereby reducing the total amount of hydrogen in the cosmos. Just think about it! If everywhere in the cosmos hydrogen is being consumed and if the process has been going on forever, how much hydrogen should be left?
with ...
A second proof is seen in the energy sources that fuel the cosmos. The picture to the right is a picture of the sun. Like all stars, the sun generates its energy by a nuclear process known as thermonuclear fusion. Every second that passes, the sun compresses 564 million tons of hydrogen into 560 million tons of helium with 4 million tons of matter released as energy. In spite of that tremendous consumption of fuel, the sun has only used up 2% of the hydrogen it had the day it came into existence. This incredible furnace is not a process confined to the sun. Every star in the sky generates its energy in the same way. Throughout the cosmos there are 25 quintillion stars, each converting hydrogen into helium, thereby reducing the total amount of hydrogen in the cosmos. Just think about it! If everywhere in the cosmos hydrogen is being consumed and if the process has been going on forever, how much hydrogen should be left?

- see A PRACTICAL MAN'S PROOF OF GOD
Plagiarism is cowardly deception, and you are a fraud. Worse, you're a fraud unable to discern the flaws in the tired old arguments you regurgitate without attribution.