• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe the religion you do?

Alaric

What is involved in the process of choosing your religion?

If you practice the religion that your parents and/or majority of your community/society believes, do you just claim to be fortunate to live in the 'right' place, or is it out of loyalty, or a willingness to fit in that you believe in it?

If you practice a religion because it fits your personal views and morals, why do you need to classify yourself as something? Does committing yourself to a religion allow you greater insight into reality than watching objectively from the sidelines and searching for truths among all religions? Do you ever need to take 'the next step' from personal investigation and searching to committing yourself to a religion in order to know the truth?

Is there a necessary connection between belief in a religion and liking what the religion proclaims? Could you imagine believing in something only because you were convinced it was the truth even though you hated what it meant?

If you are a practitioner of a religion, are you committed for better or worse, or would you jump ship if someone presented you with enough evidence to do so, and would you jump ship happily or grudgingly?

Runt

Wow... this response may be longer than you were expecting (then again, when have my answers ever been SHORT? :p), but I think my situation is slightly unique...

I grew up in a household where my parents did not force any particular religion down my throat but rather encouraged me to study and explore and NOT make a decision about my beliefs until I reach the "appropriate" age (originally 18, but they figured I was mature enough to decide what religion I was at 16).

I spent my childhood hearing about various belief systems but being encouraged not to choose any of them. A lot of my early religious education was at the Unitarian Church; if you know anything about this faith, you know that it is VERY broad based and often approaches religion from a "here is what THEY believe" rather than "Here is what YOU MUST believe" point-of-view. This is very encouraging for a young child, because it teaches them the merit that can be found in ANY belief system; and we learned about them all: I remember learning about Passover, Celtic Pagan beliefs and St. Patrick's Day, Native American Beliefs, Jesus, and a wide variety of others, all which were presented as full of equal merit.

As I said, my parents did NOT allow me to subscribe to any ONE belief system until I was of the "appropriate age"... (they allowed me to say I was Unitarian, but not to be anything more specific than that).

However, children want to be like their peers, and I knew all of my peers (with the exception of a few) had already declared their religious beliefs... I wanted to be part of a religion too! I started thinking in terms of "When I am older I will need to chose a religion, and THIS one looks favorable...so I will focus my attention on it to the exclusion of all others, then officially declare myself a follower of this faith when I am old enough".

Then I got a little older and I began talking to my parents about religion. My mother made the mistake of taking me with her to a celebration of her religion. I figured, "Hey, this is nice...AND Mom believes it! I change my mind. I will become THIS religion when I am old enough!" I declared myself that religion for several years, but my father and mother refused to recognize that my "beliefs" were legitimate and encouraged me to explore more.

So it was back to the books, back to discussions with friends, back to visiting churches, pagan rituals, and other forms of worship. We stopped visiting the Unitarian Church when I was 10, but I'd say my education was fairly Unitarian in its broad base of different teachings.

I began noting trends in religions, such as the fact that most have mythology and seemingly empty rituals hiding some greater truth, and I started regarding religions as a bunch of stupid human creations meant to fill in the gaps in our knowledge. I ALMOST became atheist when I felt it might be best to ditch spirituality and study religion instead. Then I studied some more and became convinced that there is more to life than just what we see and what science tells us... and more to spirituality than mythology and rituals. I began picking and chosing from different faith systems the theories that made sense to me.

At the age of 16 I declared myself Unitarian.

The point on that last, LOOONG story? My parents clearly had good intentions in allowing me to explore and then "choose my own path"...but it almost led me to blindly chosing the first faith I heard about and liked without really knowing much about anything, blindly following my mother's religion because SHE followed it, and blindly deciding that the symbols in religion contain NO deeper meaning and therefore there is no God but a human creation called God.

And if you really want to look at it this way, it is possible that I DID choose the religion my parents most approved of--Unitarianism--because it was the one that taught the most varied catalog of beliefs and the church that I attended most as a child.

Now, in response to your actual questions:

If you practice a religion because it fits your personal views and morals, why do you need to classify yourself as something?

Unfortunatly, it is human nature to classify, and since I am often pretty outspoken about my spiritual beliefs, I commonly am asked "What religion ARE you" (most people honestly can't tell). Which means I have to have SOME idea... if only for the benefit of others.

I prefer to lump myself under a few terms (thus emphasizing the fact that my beliefs are REALLY hard to classify correctly): "Unitarian Eclectic Agnostic" rather than just "Unitarian" (especially since there are Unitarian Christians, Unitarian Pagans, Unitarian Buddhists, etc...and I don't really identify with any one group of Unitarians :p)

Does committing yourself to a religion allow you greater insight into reality than watching objectively from the sidelines and searching for truths among all religions?

For me... no. Technically I never committed myself to a religion... only to a religious LABEL. I do not attend church (yet). I only committed myself to a religion AFTER watching from the objectively from the sidelines for several years and searching for truths among all religions... and then I CHOSE to identify with a religion that does exactly as I was doing: explores! However, when I am no longer dependent upon my mother for transportation :)P) I will probably start going to church.

Do you ever need to take 'the next step' from personal investigation and searching to committing yourself to a religion in order to know the truth?

No again. I do not think in terms of "This is Truth" but rather in terms of "This makes sense". My views change constantly, and I find the only purpose to church to be to explore in a group environment. I will NOT go to a church that tells me what is "Truth". I will probably go to the Unitarian Church because it encourages exploration.

Is there a necessary connection between belief in a religion and liking what the religion proclaims?

Yes. If I go to a church that says things that just don't make sense to me, I am not going to believe them no matter how much they say "This is the Truth!" However, if I go to a church that teaches things that do make sense to me, and if they say "This is the Truth!" I will think "Yes, it very well may be. I like this environment; I will come here more often."

Could you imagine believing in something only because you were convinced it was the truth even though you hated what it meant?

Yes. For example, I believe that Bush is President and I'm convinced it is the truth even though I hate what it means :p However, thus far I DON'T hate what I believe reality to be... so I do not yet have this problem! :)

If you are a practitioner of a religion, are you committed for better or worse, or would you jump ship if someone presented you with enough evidence to do so, and would you jump ship happily or grudgingly?

If I found that I no longer believed my beliefs but instead believed something else, I would simply reject the theories I no longer find valid and adopt the ones I see merit in. I have done this MANY times, and felt no grudge. It is, for me, like believing for a while that red is my favorite color, then one day deciding the color I like most is blue... I feel no regret in no longer liking red and I rejoice in blue, lol!

anders

I had a rather neutral, but basically Christian, upbringing. In senior high school (I think that is the ‎US correspondence) I came in contact with a Christian students’ association, and for many years ‎I went to church often and regularly. I believed.‎

My belief gradually cooled off, for no reason I can explain. Then, at the age of 50 plus, I began ‎religious studies at the local university, and learned to read the Scriptures in new ways. I am also ‎interested in South Asian languages, and have read (and have had to read) of other religions. In ‎the beginning, I thought that Hinduism was quite crazy: believing in reincarnation, gods who ‎went down and walked on Earth etc. So, suddenly, I began to think of my own beliefs. I believed ‎in not only the resurrection of Christ, but that all dead eventually would rise to a new existence. ‎So I thought, either I believe in one life only, or in another one or more. And I also realised that I ‎believed in God walking on earth as an avatar named Jesus. Gods on earth or not? I chose no. The ‎final blow probably came when I had to re-think communion. I had all my life thought that bread ‎and wine were just symbols, but realised that not only Roman Catholics, but Lutherans as well, ‎firmly, explicitly and repeatedly told me that the blood and flesh of Christ really went into my ‎mouth. That was too disturbing for the natural scientist in me.‎

Now I claim no religious label. I rather think that I have some kind of philosophy, probably ‎influenced mainly by the oldest Daoism and Old School Buddhism, with a sprinkling of Sikhism because of its very clear and practised equality. ‎Internet tests tend to rank Unitarianism, universal or not, very high on my list. I am open to ‎rethinking, and will probably go on modifying my views.‎

runt: please be patient with me. read the topics on absolute truth and truth and conscience. just because a belief may discomfort u doesn't make it invalid. effort is necessary to do good whether inconvenient or uncoomfortable or unsettling. sometimes u have to hurt to heal. like a doctor having to break a leg to reset it in the old days. it takes faith to make a commitment and an infinte universe without bounds is both logical and illogical to a human but possible with the Divine who is omnipotent and omnicious. marriage is a commitment as well as faith. take that step and commit ureself to God as he really is. good luck with ure continued search as to the true religion. i found it after two years of searching and twenty-one years of chiildhood fun. my search began at age twenty one and ended when i turned twenty three so u have plenty of time to find the true church and by the way every religion has it's traditions and rituals so don't lead ureself astray. good lucik.

Runt

jonjohnrob11 said:
just because a belief may discomfort u doesn't make it invalid.

I don't disregard beliefs that make me uncomfortable. I have actually embraced a few that I believe (right now) to possibly be true, even though they have uncomfortable implications. The beliefs I reject are the ones that make no sense.

jonjohnrob11 said:
my search began at age twenty one and ended when i turned twenty three so u have plenty of time to find the true church

I personally will never allow myself to stop seeking truth, especially after only two years of study and search. I think it is a lifelong process, and spiritual truth is so complex and difficult to grasp that we may NEVER discover it in our lifetime...

sin blinds one to the truth. satan is the father of lies. the universe is infinite therefor is knowledge, so total truth is only known by God. we always have more to learn.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
There were many reasons/lessons that lead to my faith...
Most were personal in nature so I'll skip them...

Impersonally though, as I grew up I started to look at the world through my own eyes and not the filtered vision of my parents...
I saw a world where man was carelessly distroying his own future by distroying his planet.. I saw man brutalizing not only his fellow humans but his animal and plant brothers and sisters...
I saw pollution and waste and greed fuled by mans arrogant 'superiority'... :mad:

I decided that their had to be a better way...

(Around this time I also began to study the various religons of the world, thanks largly to a junior-high class on 'non-western' history that covered the basics of many of the non-christian faiths... :goodjob: )

a few years later I had the opportunity to begin to do reserch into my family tree and I discovered my cherokee roots... Out of curiosity I began studying the native american cultures

I found a way that worked for me, that made sence to me. It ties me not only to my spirituality but to a culture.

If someone could prove to me 100% that my faith was wrong... I'd have to say yes, I'd jump ship.. I've done it before in search of the truth... (not that I think you can find 100% truth)

It'd be a hell of a tough sell though :lol:

wa:-do

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I became a Buddhist because the practice WORKS. Buddhism doesn't necessarily require belief. What I learned and read made sense to me so I actually tried putting it into practice, liked the results, saw positive changes in my life and circumstances, and over a period of several years came to the conclusion that I was a Buddhist. Now I will stay one.

people change constantly, for better or worse. God is unchanging therefore, since he is the Truth, truth doesn't change just some peoples faith or beliefs. every religion has some truth in it. only one is perfect. may everyone who hasn't found it keep seeking for the absolute truth.

Master Vigil

jonjon, if you are imperfect and not able to know the truth, how do you know that one religion is the ultimate truth. Even if god told you, your imperfect senses and perfection would surely change it. Therefore, no one religion is completely true.

Rex

Founder
Master Vigil said:
jonjon, if you are imperfect and not able to know the truth, how do you know that one religion is the ultimate truth. Even if god told you, your imperfect senses and perfection would surely change it. Therefore, no one religion is completely true.

Uh oh. I see Plato's Forms coming out!

Runt

LMAO, nice one!

Master Vigil

Rex

Founder
Master Vigil said:

Uh oh. I see Plato's Forms coming out!

Runt

LMAO, nice one!

BruceDLimber

Hi!

Why do I believe the religion I do?

Very simple: I'm a Baha'i as the direct result of extensive reading, prayer, research, investigation and observation!

Since coupled with over 33 1/2 years' experience AS a Baha'i, seeing the Faith from the inside as well as out.

During which time I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret my decision (although it is subject to review and reevaluation every day)!

(And please note, BTW, that NO ONE can become a Baha'i through inheritance from a parent! EVERY Baha'i world wide is such solely because he or she explicitly DECIDED to become a Baha'i.)

Best, :)

Bruce

Bishka

Veteran Member
Why am I what I am. Well, for one, I was raised that way, but in my teens I decided to take a look at other faiths/religions/practices/etc. I tried and experimented with Lutheranism, Catholicsm, some eastern based practices and wiccan/pagan, I never found anything that completley satified me, I came back to what I grew up with.

One thing that has always helped me, Joseph Smith(founder of the LDS faith), said once "We seek out after all things that have light and truth to them." (Something to that effect). So I look in other religions/faiths/practices/etc. for the light and truths.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Alaric said:
If you practice the religion that your parents and/or majority of your community/society believes, do you just claim to be fortunate to live in the 'right' place, or is it out of loyalty, or a willingness to fit in that you believe in it?
Well, it definitely started out as being born in the right place, at the right time, to the right parents. But I can't give my parents all the credit for my ending up where I am today. I also think it's safe to say that they wouldn't want me to. They (especially my dad) raised me to think for myself. Whenever I used to come home from Sunday School and tell my dad something I'd been taught that didn't quite seem right to me, my dad would remind me that it was a big mistake to just accept everything you ever heard taught over the pulpit. He taught me, by example, to figure things out for myself. Eventually, I found that my parents' path was the right one for me.

If you practice a religion because it fits your personal views and morals, why do you need to classify yourself as something?
I've never thought of my "classifying" myself as a Mormon came about out of a need to do so. If my beliefs correspond to Mormon beliefs, it just makes sense to refer to myself in this way.

Does committing yourself to a religion allow you greater insight into reality than watching objectively from the sidelines and searching for truths among all religions?
Absolutely! But then my religions teaches that we are to accept truth wherever we find it.

Do you ever need to take 'the next step' from personal investigation and searching to committing yourself to a religion in order to know the truth?
Yes, because the religion I have committed to involves the participation in certain saving ordinances. Receiving those ordinances is what enables me to take "the next step" towards knowing the truth.

Is there a necessary connection between belief in a religion and liking what the religion proclaims? Could you imagine believing in something only because you were convinced it was the truth even though you hated what it meant?
I don't think I could. Religion, to me, is supposed to lift a person up, and I can't imagine being lifted up by something I hated or found distasteful.

Well, I'm 57 years old, and I figure I've been presented with just about all the negative "evidence" the world has been able to come up with. I haven't jumped ship yet, so I don't suppose I'm likely to now. As a matter of fact, I love it when people can give me something new to question -- provided they can do so without being rude (which seems to be a real challenge for some people).

beckysoup61 said:
Why am I what I am. Well, for one, I was raised that way, but in my teens I decided to take a look at other faiths/religions/practices/etc. I tried and experimented with Lutheranism, Catholicsm, some eastern based practices and wiccan/pagan, I never found anything that completley satified me, I came back to what I grew up with.
I'm impressed.

One thing that has always helped me, Joseph Smith(founder of the LDS faith), said once "We seek out after all things that have light and truth to them." (Something to that effect). So I look in other religions/faiths/practices/etc. for the light and truths.
Wow! I'm so glad to have found a soulmate! I'm also glad to have an explanation for your avatar (which, I will admit, had me baffled! :D )

Kathryn