• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we workship Shani, Rahu and Ketu when they're malificious?

white_lotus

White lotus grows in muddy waters
This is something that I'm not able to understand. I can understand going to the temple and praying to Gods and Godesses.

However, according to our Hindu scriptures, Shani, Rahu and Ketu are evil and malicious by nature. Then why do we go to their temples and why do we workship them? Moreover, according to our horoscope whenever any of these planets take control, they push a person's life through hell. I feel that it's like we're praising the biggest criminal in the world if we workship them.

Shouldn't we only be worshipping the Gods who did good work?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is something that I'm not able to understand. I can understand going to the temple and praying to Gods and Godesses.

However, according to our Hindu scriptures, Shani, Rahu and Ketu are evil and malicious by nature. Then why do we go to their temples and why do we workship them? Moreover, according to our horoscope whenever any of these planets take control, they push a person's life through hell. I feel that it's like we're praising the biggest criminal in the world if we workship them.

All work is God's work. You can also 'worship' by saying 'Leave me alone." or just to have relief from their influence. Of course anyone has the option to not worship them at all.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
I think it is a kind of appeasement, or perhaps a celebration of the workings of the Universe in general when taken as the whole navagraha.

Personally I don't get involved in it. Guru said 'The planets control your karma but God controls the planets'. :p

David T

Premium Member

I can see why buddha was the therapist for hinduism!

ajay0

You can find about Shani over here .

Eramathoor Shaneeshwara Temple Mannar | Shani Temple Kerala

An excerpt...

People governed by Saturn (having Shaneeswara in favourable positions in natal horoscopes) can attain highest success and become invincible, if they are ready to control the desire for material comforts and surrender to higher will. During planetary influences of Shaneeswara, if the native performs good deeds, respects the elderly and donates a portion of his earnings to the poor and needy, immense wealth can be obtained with good reputation. Saturn is considered as the most malefic planet when in adverse positions, but its wrath can be prevented by showing kindness towards helpless and poor, forgiving the wrong doers and giving up attachments towards materialistic possessions and comfort.

Suitable pariharams (remedial deeds) need to be performed during adverse transits/periods of Shaneeswara.

I think the issue is that in certain periods of time, one is exposed to inauspicious and negative energies, which brings with it problems and issues and hardships.
It is here seen that Shani's negative influence is remedied by austerities. Similarly there are positive periods as well where austerities performed can bring great gain.

So the focus is on performance of austerities to bring abundance or prevent issues and problems in life.

Meditation and daily sadhana is also considered useful to counter negative and inauspicious energies.
The mantra Om Namah Shivaya is very useful in countering negative energies.

Worship of Hanuman is also considered as a counter to inauspiciousness and negativity, especially the malefic effects of Shani in adverse times.

I have read of Hanuman temples being placed near haunted forts and places to counter their negative effects.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
However, according to our Hindu scriptures, Shani, Rahu and Ketu are evil and malicious by nature. Then why do we go to their temples and why do we workship them? Moreover, according to our horoscope whenever any of these planets take control, they push a person's life through hell. I feel that it's like we're praising the biggest criminal in the world if we worship them.
Horoscopes and worship of Shani, Rahu and Ketu are superstitions. People believe in them, I don't. However, all the three, according to believers, can be very beneficial to a person. You should just not to go left of them. And that is why Hindus who believe in these things worship them.

However, the answer to your question was given by Sage Tulsi Das, who included "Khala Vandana' (praise of the evil) in his 'Rama Charit manas' (Shri Ram Katha | Ram Katha | Ram Kahani | Shri Ram Kahani | Balkand | बालकाण्ड | श्रीरामचरितमानस | राम कहानी). Or otherwise try to get an English translation of it. It should be available on internet. I will translate one verse for you:

तेज कृसानु रोष महिषेसा। अघ अवगुन धन धनी धनेसा॥ उदय केत सम हित सबही के। कुंभकरन सम सोवत नीके॥3॥
"Tej krisānu rosha mahīshā, agha avagun dhan dhanī dhanesā; udaya ketu sam hit sabahī ke, kumbhakaran sam sovat nīke."
भावार्थ:-जो तेज (दूसरों को जलाने वाले ताप) में अग्नि और क्रोध में यमराज के समान हैं, पाप और अवगुण रूपी धन में कुबेर के समान धनी हैं, जिनकी बढ़ती सभी के हित का नाश करने के लिए केतु (पुच्छल तारे) के समान है और जिनके कुम्भकर्ण की तरह सोते रहने में ही भलाई है॥3॥
Who are as intense as fire and equal to Yama in anger, who are very rich in sin and evil qualities like (the God of money) Kubera, whose increase is like the destructive power of a comet with respect to the benefit of others, those (evil persons) are better be sleeping like Kumbhakarna (Ravana's brother).

white_lotus

White lotus grows in muddy waters
Horoscopes and worship of Shani, Rahu and Ketu are superstitions. People believe in them, I don't. However, all the three, according to believers, can be very beneficial to a person. You should just not to go left of them. And that is why Hindus who believe in these things worship them.

However, the answer to your question was given by Sage Tulsi Das, who included "Khala Vandana' (praise of the evil) in his 'Rama Charit manas' (Shri Ram Katha | Ram Katha | Ram Kahani | Shri Ram Kahani | Balkand | बालकाण्ड | श्रीरामचरितमानस | राम कहानी). Or otherwise try to get an English translation of it. It should be available on internet. I will translate one verse for you:

तेज कृसानु रोष महिषेसा। अघ अवगुन धन धनी धनेसा॥ उदय केत सम हित सबही के। कुंभकरन सम सोवत नीके॥3॥
"Tej krisānu rosha mahīshā, agha avagun dhan dhanī dhanesā; udaya ketu sam hit sabahī ke, kumbhakaran sam sovat nīke."
भावार्थ:-जो तेज (दूसरों को जलाने वाले ताप) में अग्नि और क्रोध में यमराज के समान हैं, पाप और अवगुण रूपी धन में कुबेर के समान धनी हैं, जिनकी बढ़ती सभी के हित का नाश करने के लिए केतु (पुच्छल तारे) के समान है और जिनके कुम्भकर्ण की तरह सोते रहने में ही भलाई है॥3॥
Who are as intense as fire and equal to Yama in anger, who are very rich in sin and evil qualities like (the God of money) Kubera, whose increase is like the destructive power of a comet with respect to the benefit of others, those (evil persons) are better be sleeping like Kumbhakarna (Ravana's brother).

Thank you for answering my question. I now understand that it's malefic in the sense that it requires certain sacrifices from you.

As for the verse by Sage Tulisidasa, I did not understand it. However, I will try to find the book and read it later. Thank you for putting the effort in the translation. I really appreciate it! :)

You can find about Shani over here .

Eramathoor Shaneeshwara Temple Mannar | Shani Temple Kerala

An excerpt...

I think the issue is that in certain periods of time, one is exposed to inauspicious and negative energies, which brings with it problems and issues and hardships.
It is here seen that Shani's negative influence is remedied by austerities. Similarly there are positive periods as well where austerities performed can bring great gain.

So the focus is on performance of austerities to bring abundance or prevent issues and problems in life.

Meditation and daily sadhana is also considered useful to counter negative and inauspicious energies.
The mantra Om Namah Shivaya is very useful in countering negative energies.

Worship of Hanuman is also considered as a counter to inauspiciousness and negativity, especially the malefic effects of Shani in adverse times.

I have read of Hanuman temples being placed near haunted forts and places to counter their negative effects.

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me. It has put my mind at rest regarding this matter. I do have another point to make.

I understand that sacrifices are required during Shani's negative influence but I would certainly appreciate it if he also provided me the knowledge on how to make the sacrifices.

However, regardless of this, I thank you for sharing this information with me! It has put my mind to rest. :)

I've started visiting the Hanuman temples and chanting the Hanuman chalisa. I'm about to start the meditation practices. However, what do you mean by daily sadhana? What is that if I may ask?

I've tried the mantra "Om Namah Shivaya" in my childhood days and didn't get any benefits out of it. My conclusion was that the gods have probably hated me since I was a child. Not sure why. However, other people might be luckier chanting his mantra.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As for the verse by Sage Tulisidasa, I did not understand it. However, I will try to find the book and read it later. Thank you for putting the effort in the translation. I really appreciate it! :)

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me. It has put my mind at rest regarding this matter. I do have another point to make.

I understand that sacrifices are required during Shani's negative influence but I would certainly appreciate it if he also provided me the knowledge on how to make the sacrifices.

I've started visiting the Hanuman temples and chanting the Hanuman chalisa. I'm about to start the meditation practices. However, what do you mean by daily sadhana? What is that if I may ask?

I've tried the mantra "Om Namah Shivaya" in my childhood days and didn't get any benefits out of it. My conclusion was that the gods have probably hated me since I was a child. Not sure why. However, other people might be luckier chanting his mantra.
Sage Tulsi Das' verse and the section in Ramayana is really a sarcasm on the mentality of evil people, it is not really a praise.

Chairty on Saturday and gift of oil, that is generally how Lord Shani is placated by believers. Lord Shani is supposed to give us benefaction or punishment for our deeds in this life. While his brother, Yama, gives the benefaction or punishment after death.

Chanting of Hanuman Chalisa and the Shiva Panchakshara Mantra (Om Namah Shivaya) are enough to ward of any evil. Markandeya Rishi escaped death by worshiping Shiva. Hindu Gods do not hate people, not even the evil. It is only a question of time. You have to have patience. Sadhana is to follow your 'dharma' at all times and remember your chosen deity/deities.