• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we know so little about Jesus?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic

Jesus chose his disciples from working men with no background as writers, or of education in the law or religion.

Working from the premises that Jesus was the Son of God, It would seem that this choice was no accident.

It would also seem self evident that this choice would have ramifications in how his teachings were to be spread after his death.

It might be asked who were aware of his teachings during his life time?

Obviously there were his chosen disciples; added to this were his retinue which included women folk, especially Mary Magdalene.

There was also the multitude that he spoke to; though individually they probably each remembered only one or two parables or instances of minor miracles.

There were also a number of his detractors, mostly religious leaders sent from the Temple to discredit him.

Apart from words that might have been recorded as evidence by his detractors very little, if anything he said, would have been written down.

Had he chosen his Disciples differently it might have been very different; a written record of his doings, sayings and teachings could have been recorded for posterity.

The Parable was his prime method of teaching; it is the easiest to remember and to retell, so that the meaning, though not necessarily the words, remains unaltered.

This way at a time with out books, these thoughts and teachings can be spread rapidly through out a population, educated or otherwise.

Had the words been written down at this time they would have been vulnerable to destruction and loss.

Undoubtedly many of his words were lost before it became safe to commit the remembered teachings to a written form.

It was at this stage that problems of authenticity arose, and also undoubtedly some wrong choices were made. It was a very difficult task to collate everything that had survived into a coherent form.

Gathering the words of Paul, which were conveniently recorded in his epistles was a comparative easy task.

Jesus teachings seem to be of two general types; those that followed and promoted traditional Jewish thought, and those that brought something new, or readdressed traditional teachings to give them a new understanding.
I surmise it would be safer to attribute to Jesus the “new and changed teachings” as true records of his thoughts, than it would be the traditional ones which every one knew anyway.

By the time they were collated, they had undergone some alteration and selection to be more acceptable to both Greek and Roman society and expectations.
For instance to be acceptable to the Roman Emperor, Jesus had changed from being portrayed as a poor man who has come to serve and save man, into a Prince in Majesty. This change process can be seen recorded in both the catacombs and surviving building decoration in Rome.

What then are new and reinforced messages that Jesus brought to us?
That God is love
That God will always forgive those that repent.
That Jesus referred to God as his Father.
That we should be baptised
That we should remember him in “Bread and wine” as at the last supper.
The Lords Prayer.
The Beatitudes.
That he was Crucified, as God ordained.
That we should do as he taught us.
That we should learn from his parables how to live our lives and behave towards others.

All these new things changed our perceptions of God, from one full of vengeance and wrath to one of love and caring and mercy.

Continued........

The Church, which eventually became formalised through the power of Rome; expanded and rationalised the new Christian Religion with its forerunner the Jewish Faith, by intertwining the old prophecies with the events of Jesus life. In the process the Bible was formed and selected from all the known religious writings.

Writings from many sources were discarded and many destroyed, including those from the ancient Gnostic sects who undoubtedly saw their own beliefs reflected in the teachings of Jesus.

What has come down to us undoubtedly includes much of what Jesus wanted us to understand about God.

It also includes a great deal that has been written by men trying to justify what they already believed, or could rationalise as true from earlier beliefs and writings.

Most of these added beliefs and rationalisations are not primary to be a Christian.

They pose some important but open questions…
Was Mary a virgin?
Was Jesus literally the son of God?
Is the Trinity a fact or a rationalisation?
Did Jesus Die and Rise again?
Is the Bible the literal word of God?

Some questions are even more vague…
Is the commandment to take the bread and wine in the communion any more than a remembrance?
What is Sin?
Will there be a tribulation?
Will we all rise from the dead at the last trumpet?
What is Hell?

All these questions and more were never addressed by Jesus…
Nor were they concepts likely to have been, or capable of being considered by his disciples.

They are all thoughts, beliefs and constructs that have been added to Christianity over time, in answer to genuine questions.

If it was sufficient for Jesus disciples, neither to know of, nor question these ideas, they can not be fundamental to Christianity, nor to the concept of Jesus son of God.

If Christianity is true, what does that say of other beliefs?
There is probably some truth in all religions…
However some have problems that are hard to rationalise.
This is particularly the case where a religion claims to have the whole, complete and written truth for all time.

I started by saying that Jesus chose Disciples who would not write down his words, and he chose to do much of his teachings in parables.
Parables have some distinct advantages over other forms of communication.
They do not lose their meaning on translation or being passed through different civilisations, they are easily remembered, they do not rely on an exact reproduction to carry the original message. They are not changed by time or advancement in civilisation.

The teachings and instructions Jesus left us are not a list of do’s and don’ts. As such they would be very incomplete. They are far more an ethos and a way to live our lives by following his example. They give a pattern to follow not a set of rules.

The exact opposite would be to rely on the written word, which like all language changes its meaning over time. Nor are words easily applicable to new situations or changes in civilisations. Such a message not only becomes fixed in time, but ossifies any civilisation that accepts it as a permanent truth… It is not a likely choice for God to communicate down the ages.

Jesus left us with all we need to know to be a Christian.
Discuss.....

lockyfan

Was Mary a virgin?
It was fortold in the bible at Isiah 7:14 that Jesus would be born of a Virgin. If you believe the bible, then yes she was
He is actually the firstborn of all creation, but not God himself
Trinity is total nonsense. Just on the logical thought process of God dying and then being raised after Three days does it make sense? no! its preposterous that God would allow even part of himself to die and then be ressrected, imagine the mayhem satan coukdh ave caused in that time had God not been fully compteant or even not been there at all.
Yes He did Die and yes he rose again. It is that firm belief that keeps people going because it shows faith in him being our anointed King and also in the promises that Jehovah God hass placed in the bible for all humans
The bible is inspired of God, so that we know how he feels, thinks nad wants us to live our lives and so that we can have a set of guidelines and principles to live our loves by so that things are eaier for us in this wicked world

Is the commandment to take the bread and wine in the communion any more than a remembrance?
The communion was only to be done on the anniversary of the last supper. It replaced the passover. Just as that coveneant replaced the one for the Israelites
What is Sin?
It is the manifestation of imperfection. a heriditary disease that Adam and Eve have passed onto all of their human decendants. Only Christ's death sets us free from it.
Yes, we are nearing it now.
Only tose who are already dead before armageddon ill
What is Hell?
A teaching by churches that is false as the word that htey rendered as hell actully means the "common grave of mankind"

Nor were they concepts likely to have been, or capable of being considered by his disciples.

They are all thoughts, beliefs and constructs that have been added to Christianity over time, in answer to genuine questions.

If not actually physically answered by Jesus and not inthe bible then it is a teaching of false religion and that is actually the Harlot mentioned in revelaion and you know hat happens to her

If it was sufficient for Jesus disciples, neither to know of, nor question these ideas, they can not be fundamental to Christianity, nor to the concept of Jesus son of God.

The truth is this, any trivck in hte book to lure us all away from God is being used so then are unable to be part of the new system that is just around the coner.

Also if any of the teachings are not found in Jesus'teachings, then are they actuallyfrom Jesus?

Discuss.....
Exactly thats what he did, actually to be a truly Godly person

DavyCrocket2003

Hey, I really appreciate what you have posted. I find myself agreeing with many of your points. In my opinion it is very well thought out and feels pretty solid. Reading the teachings of Jesus is amazing. He raises our consciousness to an entirely new level. What would you give to be able to be a part of the multitude. To sit at his feet and be taught the words of salvation. That must have been special. I wonder if his disciples were aware at the time of what a marvelous blessing it was.

I agree that we are able to discern the founding principles of Christianity. But I believe we overlook a great deal. I really believe that what we have left is only a shadow of the blazing light that constitutes a fullness of understanding. What we have is good, but I don't think it's everything. Like you have pointed out, there are some (potentially) troubling questions. I believe some of them reflect truth that has been lost. Foremost among these is the true character and nature of God. I believe that we can all come to know God personally as we seek to follow his commandments, follow Jesus, and apply his teachings. But knowing who God is is extremely important in my book. I think we need God to call another prophet (granted, I already believe he has). Forget that I believe in a latter day restoration and living apostles and prophets for a minute. Wouldn't it be glorious if we had a prophet called today to be the mouthpiece of the Lord? Or even better, what if he came and sojourned with us himself for a while? Wouldn't that be awesome? Wouldn't it be great just to ask him all those questions that we have? I suppose that's what it may be like when we get to meet him at some future point. But wouldn't that be great now? It would seem to me that the earth has never been in more need of a Prophet of God to raise a voice of counsel, warning, and exhortation.:rolleyes:

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid

Jesus chose his disciples from working men with no background as writers, or of education in the law or religion.
That's true about the writing. but me don't know about the law thou. Philip & Nathanael clearly knew the law and prophets

Philip finds Nathanael, and says to him, We have found him of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets wrote: Jesus the son of Joseph of Nazareth.
(Joh 1:45 ACV)
Working from the premises that Jesus was the Son of God, It would seem that this choice was no accident.

It would also seem self evident that this choice would have ramifications in how his teachings were to be spread after his death.
seems so

It might be asked who were aware of his teachings during his life time

Obviously there were his chosen disciples; added to this were his retinue which included women folk, especially Mary Magdalene.

There was also the multitude that he spoke to; though individually they probably each remembered only one or two parables or instances of minor miracles.

There were also a number of his detractors, mostly religious leaders sent from the Temple to discredit him.?
Methinks that the common people saw a"hero" while the "Law givers" saw a threat to their rule and the backing of the roman empire

Had he chosen his Disciples differently it might have been very different; a written record of his doings, sayings and teachings could have been recorded for posterity.
Methinks it was different than what we have today. A lot of what is Christianity today can be traced to a few guys living Just after/with the disciples. People like Paul, Who authored almost 2/3 of the whole New Testament. Justin Martyr, Origen, and even Constantine, a lot of Roman Emperors & even a few Popes all had their influence on Christianity. Saying that today's Christianity is the same as what Jesus taught is a bit far fetched, as to many men had their finger in it.

By the time they were collated, they had undergone some alteration and selection to be more acceptable to both Greek and Roman society and expectations.
For instance to be acceptable to the Roman Emperor, Jesus had changed from being portrayed as a poor man who has come to serve and save man, into a Prince in Majesty. This change process can be seen recorded in both the catacombs and surviving building decoration in Rome.
Methinks that most Christians, preachers & almost all Fundamental/literalist Christian don't like this statement, because they keep the saying that Today's Christianity that they preach is precisely the same as what Jesus taught.

Most of these added beliefs and rationalisations are not primary to be a Christian.
They pose some important but open questions…
Was Mary a virgin? We don't know. the original Hebrew text state nowhere that the messiah would be born of a virgin, only the Septuagint
Is the Trinity a fact or a rationalisation? methinks it is a figment of the RCC's imagination that everybody accept without question

Adrian Swindler said:
According to Justin Martyr, the original version of this verse has God speaking the words: "You are my son, today have I begotten thee." Justin Martyr, Clement of Alexandria, Augustine, and other ancient Christian authorities also quoted it this way. - on [FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Luke 3:22[/FONT]
Source: TRANSLATION ERRORS AND FORGERIES IN THE BIBLE

Did Jesus Die and Rise again? we only have the Gospels to trust on this.
Is the Bible the literal word of God? No.

DDK732

Jesus fulfills the Old Testament prophecies of the messiah, the one who would bring salvation to the world. He was the ultimate sacrifice for the sins of the world. He chose his disciples to show that even ordinary men could be great in the eyes of God. He spoke in parables so that every one who hears his words could relate (in the Hebrew culture oral traditions were the norm for passing along important information). Jesus' main reason for his time on earth was to redeem the world. While he was here he gave the world a clearer idea of God's commandments and laws (the beatitudes give further in depth description of what should be at the forefront of a follower's mind and heart).

The early Christian church flourished long before the Roman influences touched it. There are historical accounts of Christian worship in Rome as early as 112 AD (Pliny the Younger accounts Christian worship in Rome around 112 AD/ he observed a large gathering of Christians reciting scripture). Paul, Peter and others were evangelizing shortly after Jesus' death and resurrection spreading the "good news" throughout the world starting the early Church. The doctrines we have today are what they were teaching then.

Since the gospels were written as early as 65 AD, the authenticity and accuracy to the original words of Jesus is very good (most scholars agree that the accounts of Alexander the Great are very accurate and the earliest recordings of his life are 500 years after his death; the reliability of Jesus' biography should be considered exceptionally accurate comparing to what is considered historically accurate).

Jesus himself spoke of the trinity, that the Father, Son and Holy spirit are one and a gift to humanity (John 14:16 - 17, Matthew 11:27, Mat. 26:39, Mark 1:9-11, John 17:1-5, John 7:39, John 16:7). The bible calls Jesus "Lord", which is translated from the Hebrew for God which shows that he has the same authority of God, but also distinct from God. The Nicene Creed explains the Trinity well.

lockyfan

Hey, I really appreciate what you have posted. I find myself agreeing with many of your points. In my opinion it is very well thought out and feels pretty solid.

Thats bible truths for you.
Reading the teachings of Jesus is amazing. He raises our consciousness to an entirely new level. What would you give to be able to be a part of the multitude. To sit at his feet and be taught the words of salvation. That must have been special. I wonder if his disciples were aware at the time of what a marvelous blessing it was.

Of course they knew they were blessed, just as we are blessed today to learn also from Jesus'teachings and get the full understanding of them. we are in the times of the end when the scriptures will be fully opened and understood for hte first time in history.

We too are priveledged.

We are also part of the massive work started by Jesus as his commission was that we were to go making disciple and baptising in the name of The father Jehovah the son Jesus and the Holy spirit gods active force. Also it is a sin of the last days of satan system (Mat 28:19-20)

that the good nws ofGods Kingdom is preached to all the inhabited earth as a witness to all nations and then the end will come.

(Matt 24:14)

I agree that we are able to discern the founding principles of Christianity. But I believe we overlook a great deal. I really believe that what we have left is only a shadow of the blazing light that constitutes a fullness of understanding. What we have is good, but I don't think it's everything. Like you have pointed out, there are some (potentially) troubling questions. I believe some of them reflect truth that has been lost.

Its not lost. it is in the bible.

Foremost among these is the true character and nature of God. I believe that we can all come to know God personally as we seek to follow his commandments, follow Jesus, and apply his teachings. But knowing who God is is extremely important in my book. I think we need God to call another prophet (granted, I already believe he has). Forget that I believe in a latter day restoration and living apostles and prophets for a minute. Wouldn't it be glorious if we had a prophet called today to be the mouthpiece of the Lord? Or even better, what if he came and sojourned with us himself for a while? Wouldn't that be awesome? Wouldn't it be great just to ask him all those questions that we have? I suppose that's what it may be like when we get to meet him at some future point. But wouldn't that be great now? It would seem to me that the earth has never been in more need of a Prophet of God to raise a voice of counsel, warning, and exhortation.:rolleyes:

I will send you a person message regarding this. They are out there. But in the guise of what you may not know them

Jesus himself spoke of the trinity, that the Father, Son and Holy spirit are one and a gift to humanity (John 14:16 - 17, Matthew 11:27, Mat. 26:39, Mark 1:9-11, John 17:1-5, John 7:39, John 16:7). The bible calls Jesus "Lord", which is translated from the Hebrew for God which shows that he has the same authority of God, but also distinct from God. The Nicene Creed explains the Trinity well.

Actually God is the bibles term for ruler. as Satan is also called a "god" actually the "god of this system of things" (2 corinthians 4:4)

So yes jesus is a "god"but not God Almighty.

Also
John 14:16-17 He is telling them that they will have another helper once he goes. that is the holy spirit which was pored out upon them so that they could preach over the entire inhabited earth of the time.

Matthew 11:27
This is telling us that unles you go through Jesus and his teachings you wont know God, and he calls one the Father and one the Son, not I am the father and the Son, each shown to be and individual

Matthew 26:39
He is asking for God's will not his own will to be done here.

so therefore also blowing hte thoery that jesus is God, because otherwise he would be asking for his own will to take place.

Mark 1:9-11
So the Holy Spirit comes down upon Jesus (he didnot have it before) and God calls him his "son" and told that he is approved

If he were God would he not himself be saying this to himself

John 17:1-5
He is asking to be glorified to Glorify God. again not saying I want to glorify myself to glorify myself.

Then saying that God has given him authority over all flesh, not I have always had the authority over the flesh. He then says that taking in knowledge of God and the one sent forth. So if Jesus were God, how could it be true that he sent himself forth?

Then is asking to be glofified alongside God like he had already been in heaven as the Archangel Michael

J
ohn 7:39
Jesus had to be glorified (he would already have been glorified had he been God Almighty) before the Holy Spirit was poured out to the Disciples.

John 16:7

He calls the Holy Spirit the helper, not God.

Genesis 1:2
Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters

That is the holy Spirit, his active force, which he uses to get things done.

DDK732

Thats bible truths for you.

Of course they knew they were blessed, just as we are blessed today to learn also from Jesus'teachings and get the full understanding of them. we are in the times of the end when the scriptures will be fully opened and understood for hte first time in history.

We too are priveledged.

We are also part of the massive work started by Jesus as his commission was that we were to go making disciple and baptising in the name of The father Jehovah the son Jesus and the Holy spirit gods active force. Also it is a sin of the last days of satan system (Mat 28:19-20)

that the good nws ofGods Kingdom is preached to all the inhabited earth as a witness to all nations and then the end will come.

(Matt 24:14)

Its not lost. it is in the bible.

I will send you a person message regarding this. They are out there. But in the guise of what you may not know them

Actually God is the bibles term for ruler. as Satan is also called a "god" actually the "god of this system of things" (2 corinthians 4:4)

So yes jesus is a "god"but not God Almighty.

There are many words in Hebrew for "God", but the New Testament writers used the original Hebrew word meaning "God the father" to describe Jesus. This is usually translated into English as "Lord". So, the people who followed Jesus thought of Him as God incarnate.

Jesus was crucified for stating that he was God incarnate. The Pharisees hated Him because he taught with authority, the kind of authority only God could exhibit. He forgave the sins of all those who repented, only God has the authority to forgive the sins of anyone (the Pharisees taught that you can only forgive those who sin against you, only God has the authority to forgive everyone because when you sin you first sin against God). He performed great miracles (healing the blind, resurrecting the dead, etc.), the only kind of miracles God could fulfill. Finally, the Pharisees could not place any blame or sin against Jesus. They could only charge Him with blasphemy.

If you do not believe that Jesus' words state that He is God incarnate (which the high majority of biblical scholars agree He does), His actions during His lifetime show that He definitely thought He was God incarnate.

Wow Terry, that is a lot of information to absorb and so I will touch on a few points that stand out for me. No, Jesus did not choose scholars for his disciples and I would agree that it was by design. I do not recall exactly which one did what, but I believe his disciples were primarily farmers and fishermen. These "simple folk" tend to be more humble then the educated class. Of the disciples that did eventually right about Jesus, they did so in simple language, and as ver-batum as they could recall. I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus selected his disciples based on their excellent memories.
You say gnostics of the time may have related to him. I agree. There are those who believe that Jesus was raised in the Gnostic tradition rather then the Jewish tradition, specifically, the Nacennes. There is a lack of literature regarding Jesus's childhood so that it is at least conceivable.
The emporer Constantine along with the various leaders of what I call "sects of Jesus's teachings" got together and decided what was to be include and what would be discarded. This Council of "wise men" rejected all gnostic teachings of Jesus. Essentially, like Jesus, gnostic teachings do not differenciate hierarchy of man. The established Church, then as it is now, clearly does. I believe the gnostic teachings of Jesus were rejected for no other reason then that it would undermine the authority of these "wise men".
Sadly, I believe becase of this a good portion of Jesus's message was lost.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Hey, I really appreciate what you have posted. I find myself agreeing with many of your points. In my opinion it is very well thought out and feels pretty solid. Reading the teachings of Jesus is amazing. He raises our consciousness to an entirely new level. What would you give to be able to be a part of the multitude. To sit at his feet and be taught the words of salvation. That must have been special. I wonder if his disciples were aware at the time of what a marvelous blessing it was.

I agree that we are able to discern the founding principles of Christianity. But I believe we overlook a great deal. I really believe that what we have left is only a shadow of the blazing light that constitutes a fullness of understanding. What we have is good, but I don't think it's everything. Like you have pointed out, there are some (potentially) troubling questions. I believe some of them reflect truth that has been lost. Foremost among these is the true character and nature of God. I believe that we can all come to know God personally as we seek to follow his commandments, follow Jesus, and apply his teachings. But knowing who God is is extremely important in my book. I think we need God to call another prophet (granted, I already believe he has). Forget that I believe in a latter day restoration and living apostles and prophets for a minute. Wouldn't it be glorious if we had a prophet called today to be the mouthpiece of the Lord? Or even better, what if he came and sojourned with us himself for a while? Wouldn't that be awesome? Wouldn't it be great just to ask him all those questions that we have? I suppose that's what it may be like when we get to meet him at some future point. But wouldn't that be great now? It would seem to me that the earth has never been in more need of a Prophet of God to raise a voice of counsel, warning, and exhortation.:rolleyes:

Your reply Is heart warming and Perhaps best indicates that you understood what I was talking about.
I have No doubt that God still has his prophets (and not only in the LDS)
We could certainly do with a major prophet sent by God today, to sort us out.

The many churches today have built far to strongly on minor aspects of the scriptures.
Even more they have built on unproven theories and rationalizations that have become set into the fabric of the Church.

There is no reason to believe that the Ideas promulgated by a first century church man, contains any more truth than a contrary view from today.

The Older I get the more I rely on Jesus teachings and the less I worry about official teachings and dogma.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Discuss.....
Hi, Terry. I don't know why I didn't notice this thread when you first started it, but I'm glad it was resurrected and hope it will turn into a good discussion. I'm going to assume that most of the questions you asked were basically rhetorical in nature and that you weren't expecting to see each one of them actually addressed. If I'm wrong, and you were looking for specific responses to each of them (especially to those in your section about what Jesus did not specifically teach), please tell me and I'll be happy to give you my input on each one individually.

I do believe that Jesus left us with all that we need to know to be a Christian, as He never used the word "Christian" himself but did point out that men would be able to recognize His followers by the love they demonstrated for one another. If a person professes a belief in Jesus Christ, a conviction that He is what He professed to be (i.e. "the way, the truth and the life"), and demonstrates a desire to live in accordance to how Christ told us to live, I would call that person a Christian. All of those things, those "requirements" are found in the Bible, in the words Jesus left us and in the way He lived His life.

On the other hand, I definitely don't believe that everything He taught His disciples found its way into the Bible. I strongly suspect that He taught them the answers to the questions you raised, and that the people who actually heard Him talk knew exactly what His position was on those very issues. They are important issues, not because a person can't be a Christian without understanding them, but because they help us to comprehend God's plan more fully. Of course I personally believe that these things are important enough that God has restored to us what was lost for so long and that He continues to provide further knowledge as we are ready to receive it. I believe that our Father in Heaven foresaw the loss of knowledge that would accompany His Son's death and planned the restitution of all things when the time was right.

lockyfan

There are many words in Hebrew for "God", but the New Testament writers used the original Hebrew word meaning "God the father" to describe Jesus. This is usually translated into English as "Lord". So, the people who followed Jesus thought of Him as God incarnate.

Jesus was crucified for stating that he was God incarnate. The Pharisees hated Him because he taught with authority, the kind of authority only God could exhibit. He forgave the sins of all those who repented, only God has the authority to forgive the sins of anyone (the Pharisees taught that you can only forgive those who sin against you, only God has the authority to forgive everyone because when you sin you first sin against God). He performed great miracles (healing the blind, resurrecting the dead, etc.), the only kind of miracles God could fulfill. Finally, the Pharisees could not place any blame or sin against Jesus. They could only charge Him with blasphemy.

If you do not believe that Jesus' words state that He is God incarnate (which the high majority of biblical scholars agree He does), His actions during His lifetime show that He definitely thought He was God incarnate.

Show me the SCRIPTURE to Back up the fact that he was "God Incarnate"

I believe every scripture actually refers to JEsus as bing SENT by the Father or Being the SON of God.

So please show me the SCRIPTURE from the BIBLE saying that Jesus is God Incarnate and then I might believe you

lockyfan

Wow Terry, that is a lot of information to absorb and so I will touch on a few points that stand out for me. No, Jesus did not choose scholars for his disciples and I would agree that it was by design. I do not recall exactly which one did what, but I believe his disciples were primarily farmers and fishermen. These "simple folk" tend to be more humble then the educated class. Of the disciples that did eventually right about Jesus, they did so in simple language, and as ver-batum as they could recall. I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus selected his disciples based on their excellent memories.
You say gnostics of the time may have related to him. I agree. There are those who believe that Jesus was raised in the Gnostic tradition rather then the Jewish tradition, specifically, the Nacennes. There is a lack of literature regarding Jesus's childhood so that it is at least conceivable.
The emporer Constantine along with the various leaders of what I call "sects of Jesus's teachings" got together and decided what was to be include and what would be discarded. This Council of "wise men" rejected all gnostic teachings of Jesus. Essentially, like Jesus, gnostic teachings do not differenciate hierarchy of man. The established Church, then as it is now, clearly does. I believe the gnostic teachings of Jesus were rejected for no other reason then that it would undermine the authority of these "wise men".
Sadly, I believe becase of this a good portion of Jesus's message was lost.

Jesus didnt choose his disciples, they chose to be his disciples. he chose the Apostles who were disciples first.

Jesus message is lsot only to those who listen to christendom and the churches. Read the bible his message is still there its just not changed to anyone persons ideas

DDK732

Show me the SCRIPTURE to Back up the fact that he was "God Incarnate"

I believe every scripture actually refers to JEsus as bing SENT by the Father or Being the SON of God.

So please show me the SCRIPTURE from the BIBLE saying that Jesus is God Incarnate and then I might believe you

John 8:24 "...for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
John 10:30 "I and my Father are one."

John 8:58 "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am</I>." (Exodous 3:14 "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.")

John 20:28 "And Thomas answered and said unto [Jesus], My Lord and my God."

John 1:1 "....the Word was God".
John 1:14 "....the Word was made flesh and dwelt with us..."

1 Tim. 3:16 "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD was manifest in the FLESH, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, BELIEVED ON in the world, RECEIVED UP into glory."

Acts 20:28 "... feed the church of GOD, which he hath purchased with his OWN BLOOD."

Acts 7:59 "...And they stoned Stephen, calling upon GOD, and saying, LORD JESUS, receive my spirit."

Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us A CHILD IS BORN, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, THE MIGHTY GOD, THE EVERLASTING FATHER, The Prince of Peace."

Heb 1:8 - 10 "But about the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever,
and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.
9You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions
by anointing you with the oil of joy."10He also says,
"In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.

Isaiah 41:4 "...I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he."
Rev. 1:17 "....Jesus said, "Fear not; I am the first and the last:"

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
***MOD POST***

This thread has been moved to Same Faith Debates,
so please, only Christians can post in this thread.

Thank You

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Editing has always been a normal part of the storytelling process, whether written or told. It's interesting that, in the earliest Christian art, depictions of Jesus are "taken" from earlier depictions of Caesar. Luke obviously equates the birth of Jesus to that of Augustus. so, yes, there is an early attempt to "make over" the Roman culture, so that Jesus appears as the "true Caesar."
The Church, which eventually became formalised through the power of Rome; expanded and rationalised the new Christian Religion with its forerunner the Jewish Faith, by intertwining the old prophecies with the events of Jesus life. In the process the Bible was formed and selected from all the known religious writings.
Actually, it was really the act of Constantine in the East that imperialized the Church. When the Church was "formalized," there was really only one Church, and it was neither "Roman Catholic" nor "Eastern Orthodox." The Church was catholic, that is, universal, and it was orthodox, that is, under the "right teaching." That being said, there was a lot of diversity, primarily between East and West, Rome and Constantinople being the centers of political (as well as ecclesiastical) power. The canon was not set until nearly 500 c.e.
Was Mary a virgin?

Some questions are even more vague…
What is Sin?
What is Hell?

But they were considered quite carefully by the gospel writers, long before the Church was "formalized."
We have access to more Tradition than they did. What was not fundamental to them might very well become fundamental for subsequent believers.
Parables have some distinct advantages over other forms of communication.
They do not lose their meaning on translation or being passed through different civilisations, they are easily remembered, they do not rely on an exact reproduction to carry the original message. They are not changed by time or advancement in civilisation.
Actually, many of them do lose a lot in the translation, especially cultural translation.
The exact opposite would be to rely on the written word, which like all language changes its meaning over time. Nor are words easily applicable to new situations or changes in civilisations. Such a message not only becomes fixed in time, but ossifies any civilisation that accepts it as a permanent truth… It is not a likely choice for God to communicate down the ages.
I agree.

Zadok

Zadok
About 74 AD the Roman Empire decimated the Middle East and dismantled religious structures of the Jews and Christians. The works of the historian Josephus highlight extensive efforts to destroy and distort religious ideology. Later, starting with Constantine, Christians gained political power and proved to be more intolerant of other faiths than their predecessors in Rome.
Heresy (believing something different) became a crime of the state equal to sedition and treason. It would take traditional “Christian” values until 1649 in the British colony of Maryland before any Christian society would pass a law (Toleration Act) allowing even divergent “Christian” belief.

It would appear that for much of history following Jesus that his teachings were discarded and abused. I would submit that so little is known of Jesus because so little of what he taught was actually practiced and applied following the death of his Apostles. Even today many “Christians” are more interested in their individual salvation than they are about being loyal to keeping Jesus’ commandments of love (including loving one’s enemies). To my dismay I have discussed this concept with many “Christians” that claim that following and living Jesus’ commandments is not really necessary for their salvation.
Zadok

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It was fortold in the bible at Isiah 7:14 that Jesus would be born of a Virgin. If you believe the bible, then yes she was.

Before even asking you if you believe in the bible, I would ask you if you ever read it?

I have read a number of BIBLES, I may or may not have read "THE" Bible. as I have no way of identifying any, as the one true Bible.
I have little belief that Old Testament Writings like in Isiah fortel any thing about Jesus.

The fortelling of some thing ( or interpretation of something) does not make it true.