• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we find ancient references to 8 people in a large boat in diverse cultures and languages

whirlingmerc

For example in the Chinese pictogram for a large boat there are 8 people.
but also Egyptian hieroglyphics reference 8 people in a large barge.
Why so?
Coincidence?
Ancient evidence for Noah?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Because the coxswain wasn't added until more modern times?

whirlingmerc

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 4.35.29 PM.png
Because the coxswain wasn't added until more modern times?

It appears there is an ancient reference to 8 people on a large boat. And from there, early dynasties build on that. The 8 people morphed into an octet of gods

note image from Egyptologist Gavin Cox

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why so?
Coincidence?
Eight people in a large vessel in an Asian location from one of the most ancient cultures... That's some huge coincidence. ;)

FragrantGrace

If winning isn't everything why do they keep score
The earliest recording, 4,250 years old and possibly parts being at least 7,500 years old, is Mesopotamian and in the cuneiform Sumerian text. It is known as the epic of Gilgamesh.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Why so?
Coincidence?
Coincidence, confirmation bias, and highly massaged descriptions of "8 people in a boat".

The far more likely explanation for stories and ideograms of people in boats is that.... many cultures had boats.

Kangaroo Feathers

Eight people in a large vessel in an Asian location from one of the most ancient cultures... That's some huge coincidence. ;)
Which cultures? Name them?

If you can come up with any that aren't direct cultural successors and predecessors of one another I'll be very surprised.

Kangaroo Feathers

View attachment 28807

It appears there is an ancient reference to 8 people on a large boat. And from there, early dynasties build on that. The 8 people morphed into an octet of gods

note image from Egyptologist Gavin Cox
Shocking that various sea faring cultures would have descriptions and artwork featuring boats. No possible explanation except that the Noah story is literal history. Every single depiction of boats can be shoehorned in to support the theory, if you disregard all the inconvenient stuff like, you know, context.

Audie

Veteran Member
Why so?
Coincidence?

Since there was no flood, you tell us.
In the process, be so kind as to say why
there are so many stories of man-god kings
whose destiny is to return to rule.

Oh and mermaids. Why do so many cultures
have mermaids??

Kangaroo Feathers

What did I say? Chinese..."One of the most ancient cultures". Am I wrong.
The 10 Oldest Ancient Civilizations That Have Ever Existed
That's one. Now show how that particular Chinese ideogram is so amazingly similar to things in other non contingent cultures? As far as I can see, you want me to be amazed that the Chinese ideogram for "large boat" features a boat, and I just don't find that that amazing.

"船 - "Large boat"
This is actually the Chinese word for a simple "boat" or "ship" (chuán), not some particularly large variant. The correct term and hanzi for "large boat" is 舸 (). Japanese, notorious for its homophones, refers to both symbols as fune, which is possibly where this mistake arose.

CMI attempts to break this character down into its components in order to establish a connection to the great Flood:

• 舟 does, when taken on its own, indeed mean "boat" (zhōu);
  • 八 is indeed the number "eight" (), if used in isolation;
  • 口 means "mouth" or "opening" (kǒu). CMI translates it as "people", to which it only has a very tangential relation, as 口 is the measure word for people.[note 2] The actual character for "person" is 人 rén, another common component that obviously does not appear in this character.
An alternative would be to use the character 舩, which also means "boat/ship/vessel" and is pronounced the same (chuán, Jpn. fune), but much less common. Its radicals are:

• 舟 "boat", same as above;
  • 八 "eight", same as above;
  • 厶 "personal/private", a variant of 私 (), which is even more tangential than the connection to "people" above.
The idea behind this setup is to suggest that the character refers to the eight people that were on the Ark: Noah, his wife, their three sons and their wives. However, CMI is making a crucial mistake in disassembling the character completely. What they ignore is the fact that Chinese characters are not made up exclusively of components that provide a meaning, but also of phonetic radicals that are supposed to offer a clue as to how they're pronounced. In both of the cases above, they simply skip this part in order to extract the meaning they want from it. The first character does not feature 八 and 口 as separate components, but rather as the combination 㕣 yǎn, with the (irrelevant) meaning of "marsh". Likewise, the second one features 公 gōng, "public" as the additional component.

Another point which they ignore completely is that there are specific kanji/hanzi for an ark — 方舟 (fāngzhōu) in Chinese or the Japanese 箱舟 hakobune which translates roughly as "square-boat", or "box-boat".[12] Noah's Ark would be ノアの箱舟 — Noa no Hakobune.

The number eight has significance in Chinese culture (e.g., Eight Immortals, Eight Trigrams of the I Ching). Finding yet another eight is unsurprising.

Creationists use this claim to bolster the idea that the Chinese, along with all other cultures, are descended from Noah and his family. Creationists fail to realize that of the two deluge legends from Chinese mythology, one myth involves the flood being averted twice, and the other features a brother, Fuxi, and a sister, Nuwa, survive the flood in a gourd, with all non-divine life perishing. Moreover, the Chinese invented the word "八" 1,800 years ago. Why would the Chinese wait 1,200 years after the Flood to commemorate it in their written language? The claim that Chinese characters commemorate the Noachian Deluge is nonsense.

It may be tempting to argue that the top of 㕣 is actually 几, as that is how it tends to be rendered in Modern Chinese. However, the 几 in the phonetic component 㕣 is actually a 八 in older versions of the character. "

Hanzi of Genesis - RationalWiki

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Since there was no flood, you tell us.
In the process, be so kind as to say why
there are so many stories of man-god kings
whose destiny is to return to rule.

Oh and mermaids. Why do so many cultures
have mermaids??
Dragons, too. Therefore Dungeons and Dragons is true?

nPeace

Veteran Member
That's one. Now show how that particular Chinese ideogram is so amazingly similar to things in other non contingent cultures? As far as I can see, you want me to be amazed that the Chinese ideogram for "large boat" features a boat, and I just don't find that that amazing.
That's not my fight.
What I said was true. I confirmed it.
What you are apparently seeing is in none of my posts, so I am not sure where you are looking, or what you are looking for.

"船 - "Large boat"
This is actually the Chinese word for a simple "boat" or "ship" (chuán), not some particularly large variant. The correct term and hanzi for "large boat" is 舸 (). Japanese, notorious for its homophones, refers to both symbols as fune, which is possibly where this mistake arose.

CMI attempts to break this character down into its components in order to establish a connection to the great Flood:

• 舟 does, when taken on its own, indeed mean "boat" (zhōu);
  • 八 is indeed the number "eight" (), if used in isolation;
  • 口 means "mouth" or "opening" (kǒu). CMI translates it as "people", to which it only has a very tangential relation, as 口 is the measure word for people.[note 2] The actual character for "person" is 人 rén, another common component that obviously does not appear in this character.
An alternative would be to use the character 舩, which also means "boat/ship/vessel" and is pronounced the same (chuán, Jpn. fune), but much less common. Its radicals are:

• 舟 "boat", same as above;
  • 八 "eight", same as above;
  • 厶 "personal/private", a variant of 私 (), which is even more tangential than the connection to "people" above.
The idea behind this setup is to suggest that the character refers to the eight people that were on the Ark: Noah, his wife, their three sons and their wives. However, CMI is making a crucial mistake in disassembling the character completely. What they ignore is the fact that Chinese characters are not made up exclusively of components that provide a meaning, but also of phonetic radicals that are supposed to offer a clue as to how they're pronounced. In both of the cases above, they simply skip this part in order to extract the meaning they want from it. The first character does not feature 八 and 口 as separate components, but rather as the combination 㕣 yǎn, with the (irrelevant) meaning of "marsh". Likewise, the second one features 公 gōng, "public" as the additional component.

Another point which they ignore completely is that there are specific kanji/hanzi for an ark — 方舟 (fāngzhōu) in Chinese or the Japanese 箱舟 hakobune which translates roughly as "square-boat", or "box-boat".[12] Noah's Ark would be ノアの箱舟 — Noa no Hakobune.

The number eight has significance in Chinese culture (e.g., Eight Immortals, Eight Trigrams of the I Ching). Finding yet another eight is unsurprising.

Creationists use this claim to bolster the idea that the Chinese, along with all other cultures, are descended from Noah and his family. Creationists fail to realize that of the two deluge legends from Chinese mythology, one myth involves the flood being averted twice, and the other features a brother, Fuxi, and a sister, Nuwa, survive the flood in a gourd, with all non-divine life perishing. Moreover, the Chinese invented the word "八" 1,800 years ago. Why would the Chinese wait 1,200 years after the Flood to commemorate it in their written language? The claim that Chinese characters commemorate the Noachian Deluge is nonsense.

It may be tempting to argue that the top of 㕣 is actually 几, as that is how it tends to be rendered in Modern Chinese. However, the 几 in the phonetic component 㕣 is actually a 八 in older versions of the character. "

Hanzi of Genesis - RationalWiki
Interestingly the Chinese symbol for "boat" or 船 is made of 舟 (which means vessel), 八 (meaning eight) and 口(meaning mouth); 船 literally translate "eight people in the boat". This character was used in the ancient Chinese story of Noah's ark. Many other non-christian countries have similar story line of Noah's ark in the Genesis' account of the Bible. Indians, Sumerians, Egyptians, American Indians and the Peruvians wrote historical account about a universal flood.

CMI misrepresents ancient Chinese language?

whirlingmerc

The earliest recording, 4,250 years old and possibly parts being at least 7,500 years old, is Mesopotamian and in the cuneiform Sumerian text. It is known as the epic of Gilgamesh.

In the Gilgamesh story, the ark is shaped like a cube with 7 stories. With center of mass in the middle it would roll all over the ocean like a volleyball

The ark of Noah on the other hand is shaped like a very stable boat

whirlingmerc

That's not my fight.
What you are apparently seeing is in none of my posts, so I am not sure where you are looking, or what you are looking for.

Interestingly the Chinese symbol for "boat" or 船 is made of 舟 (which means vessel), 八 (meaning eight) and 口(meaning mouth); 船 literally translate "eight people in the boat". This character was used in the ancient Chinese story of Noah's ark. Many other non-christian countries have similar story line of Noah's ark in the Genesis' account of the Bible. Indians, Sumerians, Egyptians, American Indians and the Peruvians wrote historical account about a universal flood.

Dragons, too. Therefore Dungeons and Dragons is true?

There seem to a pattern of
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 4.34.20 PM.png
connections with the Biblical account

whirlingmerc

That's not my fight.

The pictograph is pretty clear

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.51.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.51.39 PM.png

whirlingmerc

That's not my fight.

It appears there is a good case it is true

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.51.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.51.32 PM.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.51.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.51.39 PM.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 0