• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we celebrate birthday?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is a question I have asked my self since I was a child. Why do we celebrate birthdays?
Last time I remember my family celebrated my birthday was when I was 10 years old. after that, I asked to please stop celebrate it because it is just another day in the life.

Why do you or your family celebrate birthdays?
1) We like counting things.
2) It's more often & fun than deathday.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Certainly each day is worth being grateful for, but people just can't have celebration highlights like special foods, gifts, parties, etc. everyday.
That is exactly what i hoped someone would answer :)
Each day is just another day in a long row of days, Yes we celebrate the first day in a human beings life when they get born. but after that, we celebrate every year the date the person was born?
Personally, i do not celebrate any day of the year, But that does of course not mean you guys can not do it :)

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is a question I have asked my self since I was a child. Why do we celebrate birthdays?
Last time I remember my family celebrated my birthday was when I was 10 years old. after that, I asked to please stop celebrate it because it is just another day in the life.

Because we like to be nice to other people.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Dunno, I stopped celebrating my birthday many years ago. It's fine for kids, give them something to look forward to every year. I guess at a certain point it's just meaningless.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
'cause I can bake cakes, give special gifts, and make my kids feel guilty about my having been in labor for many, many, many hours to bring them into the world.

I like birthdays.

I even like mine.
You just gave me an idea. Maybe I should send my Mom a card on my birthday.

dianaiad

Dunno, I stopped celebrating my birthday many years ago. It's fine for kids, give them something to look forward to every year. I guess at a certain point it's just meaningless.

speak for yourself.

I look at each birthday, when I arrive at one, and say....

I"M STILL HERE!

That's worth a celebration.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Each day is just another day in a long row of days, Yes we celebrate the first day in a human beings life when they get born. but after that, we celebrate every year the date the person was born?
Personally, i do not celebrate any day of the year, But that does of course not mean you guys can not do it :)

JW's don't celebrate birthdays because of their association with astrology. The date of one's birth was used to cast a horoscope to predict the child's future, and the 'birthday' cake was adorned with lit tapers to scare away evil spirits. The birthday wishes were also supposed to be like some kind of good luck charm for the newborn. It is steeped in spiritistic customs that people today still unwittingly follow.

I don't know too many parents who have held birthday parties for their child, only to be embarrassed by their behavior on their 'special' day.....it seems as if this one day is all about them and they will play it to the hilt like the spoiled brats they often are. What are we breeding?

We have people accusing us of depriving our children because we don't follow their traditions....but at the end of the day, its the 'sheeples' parting with their money because they are slaves to tradition. The commercial system has them "celebrating" one 'occasion' after another and they don't seem to realize that they are being fleeced.

We can celebrate whatever we wish at any time of year for no particular reason and we spend when we can afford to do so, not because we are dictated to by a date on a calendar. Our kids do not get overindulged just because the world follows its traditions and expects everyone to conform. When I tell people I don't celebrate Christmas, Easter, birthdays, Halloween or any other traditional celebration, they look at me like I'm from the moon. But often I see a tinge of envy, especially from women who are expected to carry the brunt of all that celebrating. I don't miss any of it.....I'm free! Its a good feeling! :)

Last edited:

dianaiad

You just gave me an idea. Maybe I should send my Mom a card on my birthday.

Now THAT would be a lovely thing for you to do.

Just....

expect a phone call from her asking you if you are contemplating a major life change.

Like gender reassignment or marrying your uncle's cousin's (on the other side of the family) cat.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
speak for yourself.

I look at each birthday, when I arrive at one, and say....

I"M STILL HERE!

That's worth a celebration.

That's good! I don't judge other people who still find meaning in it! Just doesn't have much meaning for me is all.

dianaiad

That's good! I don't judge other people who still find meaning in it! Just doesn't have much meaning for me is all.

I am sorry about that. I think that we should all find a little joy in just...still being here. Something to celebrate. I do. Even on days when living ain't so pleasurable, I do.

There's always something to find a little joy in.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Now THAT would be a lovely thing for you to do.

Just....

expect a phone call from her asking you if you are contemplating a major life change.

Like gender reassignment or marrying your uncle's cousin's (on the other side of the family) cat.

OK... So the Birthday card would read:

Dear Mom,

I love you very much. No need to worry. Everything is fine. I sending you this card on my birthday to say thank you for all the pushing and sweating. I'm not having a mental break down, or reconsidering my gender. I'm not marrying a cat or a cousin. I hope you believe me. I really mean it. Not going crazy. No need to call and check up on me.

Bye.

PS I am not on the drugs, or gambling, or smoking. But do send money.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Dear Mom,

I love you very much. No need to worry. Everything is fine. I sending you this card on my birthday to say thank you for all the pushing and sweating. I'm not having a mental break down, or reconsidering my gender. I'm not marrying a cat or a cousin. I hope you believe me. I really mean it. Not going crazy. No need to call and check up on me.

Bye.

Mine would have to read:

Dear Mom,

Pat Robertson showed me the light.

Regards,

Your son who will bring you six grandchildren

Milton Platt

Usually aa card and maybe go out together for a meal. I try to remember other's birthdays but I don't really care if anyone remembers mine. I've always been that way about it. Mine is easy to remember, though, I was born on flag day.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I have no idea of the origins of it; that would be conjecture. But from observation, I see it varies widely by person and by culture. For example, some folks in Hinduism would use the nakshatra, not the western calendar date. In my family, we acknowledge it, but don't celebrate it. Personally, I could care less. It does have many practical (voting age, licensing age, old age security) uses given the way society uses it.

For individuals it varies from people who wish nobody would notice to those who would cry for 3 days if nobody noticed. As a child I hated it. (my own, not for others)

dianaiad

Dear Mom,

Bye.

If I were your Mom, I'd frame the card. ;)

...........and the note. I might even send money.

dianaiad

Usually aa card and maybe go out together for a meal. I try to remember other's birthdays but I don't really care if anyone remembers mine. I've always been that way about it. Mine is easy to remember, though, I was born on flag day.

So was my sister. We all remember her birthday, too.

Hope yours was nice, even if you didn't celebrate it as such.

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes, it is a personal choice.:)