• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we celebrate birthday?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This is a question I have asked my self since I was a child. Why do we celebrate birthdays?
Last time I remember my family celebrated my birthday was when I was 10 years old. after that, I asked to please stop celebrate it because it is just another day in the life.

Why do you or your family celebrate birthdays?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
When I was young, it was fun. But now I'm kind of expected to host the party and pay a portion of the food. So it wouldn't bother me too much for it not to be celebrated. I'm narcissist enough as it is.

sooda

Veteran Member
This is a question I have asked my self since I was a child. Why do we celebrate birthdays?
Last time I remember my family celebrated my birthday was when I was 10 years old. after that, I asked to please stop celebrate it because it is just another day in the life.

Love, remembrance and fun.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
To reflect on the person's life up to now and celebrate the individual, allow him to take a break and relax with kin.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am the same way. I rarely if ever choose to celebrate my birthday. I ask people not to... they do it anyway. It's a little frustrating.

Edit: Note to self: don't wish Amanaki a happy birthday. find reasons to wish him well for no specific reason... check.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Love, remembrance and fun.
I understand many see birthdays as you describe it, but why can we not celebrate the 364 other days in the year too then? to me the birthday day is just same as the rest. Normal days :)
But i am very aware that most people do celebrate

sooda

Veteran Member
I understand many see birthdays as you describe it, but why can we not celebrate the 364 other days in the year too then? to me the birthday day is just same as the rest. Normal days :)

Ice cream and cake are special.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Since good food and so on is expensive, we take a certain day to allow ourselves the expense.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sometimes I will buy myself a random pie. About once every 2 months. I even bought myself a birthday cake one time to eat, when it wasn't my birthday, because the sale on it was really good.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

For me its a way to get family together. I don't care about the presents but in this world today everyone is busy. Birthday's allow you the mark the calendar way in advance so that you can get together and celebrate family. Thanksgiving the other family holiday is my favorite holiday of the year.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Just been to a couple of work's colleagues 50th birthday celebration.
It was fun, time to let our hair down. Why not celebrate?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster

To remind each other of our impending doom

InChrist

Free4ever

Because each person's life is valuable and worth celebrating.

dianaiad

'cause I can bake cakes, give special gifts, and make my kids feel guilty about my having been in labor for many, many, many hours to bring them into the world.

I like birthdays.

I even like mine.