• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we care about what happens to our bodies after we die?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
First off: I believe the claim that once you die you have no need for your body is true. What I say in this post is based upon this being true. And I would be interested to hear from anyone who doesn't believe this.

If this is the case then why are we humans so pre-occupied with what happens to our flesh and bones after we die?

I think most of us have certain wishes – cremation, burial, medical science etc.

I personally favour being harvested of anything of any potential use to anyone else, and having the rest cremated, and my ashes scattered in a certain place

I can think of two reasons why people are so concerned, but there must be more:

First: People think there is a link between what happens to their body after death and what happens to their soul in the afterlife – consider the burial practices of Ancient Egypt. i.e. people don't believe they fully vacate their body once they die.

Second: The concern is a product of one’s lifelong attachment to one’s bodily form – to one’s “meat suit” as I have heard it described as by someone who believes the body and soul are separate...

Can anyone think of any more???

Also, this raises the further question:

Why should we respect the wishes people have regarding what happens to their body once they die?

My answer to this would be to invoke the Golden Rule – for whatever reason I care what happens to my body once I die and want those wishes respected, therefore I respect the wishes of others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
First off: I believe the claim that once you die you have no need for your body is true. What I say in this post is based upon this being true. And I would be interested to hear from anyone who doesn't believe this.

If this is the case then why are we humans so pre-occupied with what happens to our flesh and bones after we die?

I think most of us have certain wishes – cremation, burial, medical science etc.

I personally favour being harvested of anything of any potential use to anyone else, and having the rest cremated, and my ashes scattered in a certain place

First: People think there is a link between what happens to their body after death and what happens to their soul in the afterlife – consider the burial practices of Ancient Egypt. i.e. people don't believe they fully vacate their body once they die.

Second: The concern is a product of one’s lifelong attachment to one’s bodily form – to one’s “meat suit” as I have heard it described as by someone who believes the body and soul are separate...

Why should we respect the wishes people have regarding what happens to their body once they die?

My answer to this would be to invoke the Golden Rule – for whatever reason I care what happens to my body once I die and want those wishes respected, therefore I respect the wishes of others.
I have no wish for what my family would do with my physical body after I have passed away. And I have told them that it is up to them what ceremony they wish to hold.

A Vestigial Mote

I feel that the modes of thinking of those who have concerns as to what happens to their body after they die are the same types of thinking that allow them to believe all sorts of things without evidence. I truly believe that if a person is completely rational, and not allowing other, biased influences to cloud their thinking, that they would have to accept as rational the idea that it does not matter in any way, shape or form what happens to your body after you die. Time is going to run its course and devour the substances of your body regardless what you do. You could be locked in a titanium box and buried on the moon and someday, in the extremely far distant future - perhaps when our galaxy finally coalesces with another - your body will still be destroyed. To believe that the body has some lasting significance after death is delusion, plain and simple. And I am of the opinion that our human societies should not foster delusion.

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I truly believe that if a person is completely rational
I doubt that there's such a thing as a "completely" rational person!

If there is I'd love to meet them and see what various psychologists make of them...

I think being irrational (to one extent or another) is a big part of being human...

Even if we can cultivate a rational outlook on life and are capable of behaving rationally

A Vestigial Mote

I doubt that there's such a thing as a "completely" rational person!

If there is I'd love to meet them and see what various psychologists make of them...

I think being irrational (to one extent or another) is a big part of being human...

Even if we can cultivate a rational outlook on life and are capable of behaving rationally
I agree. And what I am saying is not to encourage irrationality, and stop doing so when we recognize it as such. Such as upholding ideas about the possible "spiritual" importance of dead flesh.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am not sure many people do care what happens to their bodies when they are dead, however we do not want them littering the streets.
I do not think graveyards serve much of a purpose. and are a great waste of space, that could be better used by the community.
The concept of the Wake is far preferable, to the usual mournful funeral arrangements.
It is necessary for those left behind to have time to mourn, but it is equally important for them to reflect on and celebrate the past life.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

We destroy corpses out of necessity, but its important not to do it disrespectfully. Does beauty have value? Does thought have value? Do morals have value? With nothing but cold logic you can say 'No' to all three. You can say "No, and beauty is merely our reaction to certain neurological stimuli" or "no, and thought has no lasting impact and will end when this planet burns up or sooner" or "morals are just the whims of an ape based animal species." There is of course a sense that the corpses don't matter, but they matter in the same way that beauty, thought and morals matter. Without us none of these things matter, but with us they do. You can express love or respect for a dead person by treating their corpse with care, and that is the right thing to do.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I care about my body and the bodies of my loved ones because my body is me in this life as much as my spirit is. It's just that the body is not eternal. I love and care for the bodies of my loved ones because I view living beings in a holistic manner, accepting that we are physical beings, too. What I find strange is the view that the body is just some meaningless vessel that can just be thrown in the rubbish bin. What a gross devaluation of the physical world. It is also just insulting to the being to disrespect their corpse.

Now, what is considered a respectful way to deal with a corpse is debatable and subject to cultural views, but the intent is what I'm referring to here.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I truly believe that if a person is completely rational, and not allowing other, biased influences to cloud their thinking,
Keep dreaming as such a person does not exist. No one is "completely rational". We can all only hope to be rational from time to time and learn to exercise that faculty when it is needed the most. However, it's probably not our default state of being.

Either way, I fail to see how reason or logic must lead someone to the conclusion that what happens to corpses doesn't matter or that wanting your corpse to be treated a certain way is "delusional". It doesn't necessarily follow and you're being presumptuous.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I agree. And what I am saying is not to encourage irrationality, and stop doing so when we recognize it as such. Such as upholding ideas about the possible "spiritual" importance of dead flesh.
Spirituality and reason aren't mutually exclusive and I'm tired of modern Western atheists acting like they are. It's highly insulting, arrogant on an elitist fashion (since atheists are a small population of humanity) and flat-out wrong.

Last edited:

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
A nice question and a great idea to talk
Human love to life pushed to preserve his body
the cremation of the body may reflect anxiety or escape the responsibilities that have been placed on you according to their beliefs

A rich and rich man would prefer to keep his body good because he enjoys life (because his life is material)

Spiritual ascetic man in life will prefer spiritual separation from the body because he lives a life of material deprivation, separation will be more mercy to him

Behaviors are generally the outcome of people's beliefs and philosophies

In Islam, the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) says that there is a seed in the lower back of the spine

That is do not perish

Imgur

it call the Primary Organis which is Coccyx "or sacred bone as a plant seed

On the Day of Judgment God will bring all the grounds together
Means suns, moons and planets Meteors and cosmic dust together and makes them one earth

God will rain this land forty years

God will re-create creatures like the legumes plant
Animals and humans grow like plants

they will hold them accountable for what they have done in their lives, such as a YouTube video that shows them what happened to them

Even animals as an example if the lamb has butting other lamb
The lamb that has butted, will butting the other. To justice

all human will be 33 years old
The year Jesus died and was raised to heaven
But he is not the Son of God in Islam, just he is the Prophet of GOD (Allah)

THANKS HUG :hatchedchick:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

You can legally donate your forehead bone to science after you die in Las Vegas and Canada. Raelians do it in the hope of being cloned. They submit to their God not only while they are alive but also while they are dead.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Here in the UK, as perhaps elsewhere, relatives can override the wishes of the deceased usually, such that even if I wanted to donate my body to science (as I actually would want), this will likely not be the case since I don't get on with either of my nearest relatives and they might just disregard my wishes out of spite. This is something that should be changed and they should honour what the deceased wanted. :(

My body is of no use to me dead but it might be to others. :rolleyes:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I personally favour being harvested of anything of any potential use to anyone else, and having the
... bio-hazardous rest properly disposed by those who benefited from the useful stuff. (So, no cost to my relatives.)

Most people would agree that they have no use of their body after death if they thought about it. The reverence to the body is a cultural thing and it is only for the living. It is this ingrained culture that lets us think that our bodies deserve some reverence - because our cultures gives it usually to the bodies of the deceased.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think it wise to put it in writing what you want done with your body. If a family is large, and there are mixed feelings about it, that can save a lot of fighting and money in legal fees. Don't just count on the family agreeing.

My brother is president of a graveyard care-taking society, and he's seen the worst of this, even to the point of bodies being moved on hearsay, and then returned again after legal battles. So for some it's important.

Goodman John

For myself I care little about what happens to my body after I die. My soul will either go to the spiritual realm or it will transmigrate into another body and have to do this 'life' thing all over again. A body is no more than a 'dirty shirt' for my soul until I get off of this rock.

A Vestigial Mote

Keep dreaming as such a person does not exist. No one is "completely rational". We can all only hope to be rational from time to time and learn to exercise that faculty when it is needed the most. However, it's probably not our default state of being.
I don't disagree, but feel that we should all be striving to maintain rational mindsets, even if "100% rationality" is unachievable - to keep trying to get to the most rational basis for thought and action. Something to strive for, I feel. Rationality need not preclude emotion or intuition in any way. I certainly wouldn't advocate for "less" rationality in the world, that's for sure. I honestly feel that more and better skill in this area would greatly benefit humanity. So the fact that "such a person doesn't exist" is irrelevant. It's one thing to acknowledge that none of us will ever get it perfectly right. It is quite another to forestall becoming better at it yourself (provided you see it as a worthy cause, obviously) using the excuse that "The Jones" aren't any better at it either.

Either way, I fail to see how reason or logic must lead someone to the conclusion that what happens to corpses doesn't matter or that wanting your corpse to be treated a certain way is "delusional". It doesn't necessarily follow and you're being presumptuous.
The facts would disagree with you. You can only postpone the inevitable. Your body WILL be destroyed. Do you see any possible way around this? And even if you did, would you advocate that there is some reason-based, rational reason to maintain your corpse for all eternity? My opinion is that there simply cannot be such a reason under current conditions of life/death. If you can even come up with a potential reason that this would be preferable, by all means, I'd like to discuss it. If I am wrong, I'd like to know. As it stands, I cannot imagine a single scenario within which a person using completely sound judgment could come to the conclusion that their dead body requires sustaining once they are dead. Even something like maintaining a person's DNA can be done with a few cells. If there were some medically significant difference to the person's body that could benefit from future study, maybe... but I'm talking about your average, everyday case of someone dying, and their own desire to preserve their body. What purpose could this possibly serve besides appeasing a mostly irrational desire to maintain some form of existence? Honestly even writing that as a "reason" reads as completely awkward and foolish to me. Others may think differently - but I will maintain my opinion that they are thinking about it incorrectly, and likely injecting an amount of hubris or ego into the matter that a raw examination of the facts and realities should dispel.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The facts would disagree with you. You can only postpone the inevitable. Your body WILL be destroyed. Do you see any possible way around this? And even if you did, would you advocate that there is some reason-based, rational reason to maintain your corpse for all eternity?
Wait, you seem to be misunderstanding my position. I didn't say anything about maintaining corpses, but rather treating them with respect in honor of who they were. I know very well that all things will eventually be destroyed, up to everything in the universe. I don't think that's a bad thing. I personally prefer to be cremated or have a simple eco-friendly burial without embalming in a cardboard casket or whatever. What I wouldn't want is for my body to be thrown into a dumpster or my remains dug up and placed in a museum or whatever. It's respect in handling remains that I'm getting at.