• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do US Christian fundamentalists want a theocracy?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Exactly. It is not contrary to Christian principles to live in a country that is not dominated by Christian religion.

So why are American Christian fundamentalists so extraordinarily bothered by that?

Why can't they have a voice in this Republic? Why are you bothered that they would like society to have a freedom of religion based laws?

Kenny

Premium Member
Then I humbly request you go back and read the post with which I opened this thread, including the questions I posed there, before you are tempted to go on about issues that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.
OK... I did...

and answer it here:#9

I find your OP to be baseless with no empirical evidence of such.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Most of these people seem to advocate that laws of the land follow their religious tenets and practices, rather than the other way round as would be typical under a secular system of government. A government that follows religious tenets in its legislation could probably be characterised as theocratic in nature, don't you think?
No, not really. Until fairly recently, the laws of England embodied a Christian view of morality. Church of England bishops still sit in the House of Lords. But England has never been a theocracy.

Tambourine

No, not really. Until fairly recently, the laws of England embodied a Christian view of morality.
You mean when they had homosexuality and abortions outlawed?

Church of England bishops still sit in the House of Lords. But England has never been a theocracy.
In the UK, religion is at least nominally subservient to the legislative power of Parliament, and has been since, arguably, the Glorious Revolution at the very latest. Also, I was talking about US Christians, not the UK.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You mean when they had homosexuality and abortions outlawed?

In the UK, religion is at least nominally subservient to the legislative power of Parliament, and has been since, arguably, the Glorious Revolution at the very latest. Also, I was talking about US Christians, not the UK.
Henry II had a good go at reigning in the legal power of the church, as early as the late c.12th! ;)

But yes, not only were homosexuality and abortion outlawed (which is what some of the these fundies would apparently like to go back to) but there was a criminal blasphemy law. But this was not "theocracy".

My point is that having fundies arguing for old-fashioned laws like the above is not the same as arguing for a theocracy. A theocracy - to my mind - means rule by religious leaders on the basis of divine guidance. I doubt that any serious movement in the modern USA advocates that.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It isn't the LGBTQ that creates a problem. It's when it is taught in schools as a lifestyle to those who don't agree that it becomes a problem. It's the very thing you are talking about but in reverse

How exactly is it "taught"? Is heterosexuality "taught"? You either are or aren't. The teacher doesn't hold up a centerfold and instruct the boys to get a boner to score an "A+". Absurd notion, right? So what exactly are you talking about really? Acknowledging their existance? That they deserve rights, freedom, and equality?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why can't they have a voice in this Republic? Why are you bothered that they would like society to have a freedom of religion based laws?
Because then the government would cease to represent the people, and rights, freedoms, and equality would be taken away. Science and education would be heavily censored, etc. Nobody want to live under an oppressive tyranny.

Kenny

Premium Member
Because then the government would cease to represent the people, and rights, freedoms, and equality would be taken away. Science and education would be heavily censored, etc. Nobody want to live under an oppressive tyranny.
I think that is an exaggeration. Fear is very controlling and causes people to go to extremes

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Comparing Islam to Christianity is like comparing Father Heathen to Sunstone

@Sunstone is a good guy. :thumbsup:

The only thing preventing U.S. fundamentalists from going full Taliban is our secular constitution that establishes our rights, freedoms, and equality under law.
If someone is thirsting for power and control and see themselves as the authority on morality, you'll end up with heads on pikes if you cut them loose.

Kenny

Premium Member
@Sunstone is a good guy. :thumbsup:

The only thing preventing U.S. fundamentalists from going full Taliban is our secular constitution that establishes our rights, freedoms, and equality under law.
If someone is thirsting for power and control and see themselves as the authority on morality, you'll end up with heads on pikes if you cut them loose.
Negatory...... fake news

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Read me the part where I can cancel the contract at any time without penalty.

Sure, it's great to contemplate Utopias and Philosopher Kings and communism (an idea that gets some backing from the NT) and to look back with some awe at the Marshall Plan ...

But as Churchill said someone said, Democracy is the worst form of government, except for the others. I'm in no rush to sign up for an autocracy, no matter how glossy the brochure, no matter how big the discount if I Sign Today! There are quite a few places where I don't particularly want to live, and they include China and the Vatican.

And what would stop a real Jesus running for POTUS, and being UN Secretary-General, and leading the International Court of Justice, and making himself generally useful using the tools already to hand?

The idea that he could be voted out ought to keep him on his toes too.

And remember that line from Psalm something-or-other about not putting your trust in princes.
That’s why I mentioned your “parents.”
They would never let any harm come to you!

Well (when it comes the “day” for Jehovah God to step in mankind’s affairs & straighten everything out), He will be our real Father, and Jesus our Big Brother. (Don’t bring up any Orwellian ideas now! Lol.)

I like reading quotes from Churchill, he was a character! In fact, we are 8th cousins 3 times removed, believe it or not. Through his mother, Jennie Jerome.

Your Psalms quote about not trusting princes, is Psalms 146:3. That’s talking about humans, though....which God & Jesus aren’t.

Interesting, that many religious people’s hope is going to heaven, but the Bible constantly talks about living on the Earth as being man’s future. (Isaiah 11 9 [vss.6-9]; Psalms 37 10,11,29; Matthew 5:5; Revelation 21:3-4 [“tent of God is with mankind”]; etc., etc.)

God’s Kingdom will ‘bring peace between animals & man, get rid of sorrow, pain, and even death.’
The Lord’s Prayer will be fulfilled.

Take care, my cousin.