• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do trinitarian ideologists say that Jesus Christ is YHWH?

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
Is there a scripture verse in the Bible where the son of God is called ‘YHWH’ by name?

As I read the scriptures, I find that only the Father, the only true God, is ever called ‘YHWH’ by name.

In answering, please understand that in Bible verses the title ‘LORD’, (in all caps) is a substitute for ‘YHWH’: the name of the Father.

As it stands, I can find not even one verse where Jesus Christ is called ‘YHWH’ by name.

Be it known that I am excluding the prophesy where God confers on him the ‘name that is above all other names’ as no one can definitely say or prove that that name is ‘YHWH’.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is there a scripture verse in the Bible where the son of God is called ‘YHWH’ by name?

As I read the scriptures, I find that only the Father, the only true God, is ever called ‘YHWH’ by name.

In answering, please understand that in Bible verses the title ‘LORD’, (in all caps) is a substitute for ‘YHWH’: the name of the Father.

As it stands, I can find not even one verse where Jesus Christ is called ‘YHWH’ by name.

Be it known that I am excluding the prophesy where God confers on him the ‘name that is above all other names’ as no one can definitely say or prove that that name is ‘YHWH’.

.maybe this has what you are seeking.

Where Does Jesus Say, "I Am YHWH (God)" in the Bible?

Orbit

I'm a planet

Also see my 10 year old thread "Is Jesus God?". It's endless, the back and forth. Have fun!

John D. Brey

The tetragrammaton יהוה ("Yawheh)" isn't really a name. It's more like a riddle than even a title. Jesus said not one of those tittles (in the title, the three yod) will disappear from the title before it is finished at which time the riddle will be known as a a new title יהודי ("Jew") revealing two of the tittle in the title "Jew." One of the three tittles in the title "Jew" יהודי is still shrouded in mystery.

John

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok. This is not hard, and you may disagree if you like. Nobody says we all must agree upon trivial details or be equally knowledgable.

[Mat 1:21 NIV] 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."​
When Matthew uses "Because he will save his people from their sins" he is identifying Jesus with The Acrostic YHWH. First of all whose people are they? Who can save them from their sins? They are not Moses people, not David's people, not even Abraham's people. No, they are The LORD's people, as-in belonging to. Secondly what does Jesus name mean, and what is the significance of him being called it?
First:
[2Ch 20:9 NIV] 9 'If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.'
[Psa 106:47 NIV] 47 Save us, LORD our God, and gather us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name and glory in your praise.
[Psa 116:4 NIV] 4 Then I called on the name of the LORD: "LORD, save me!"
[Mat 1:21 NIV] 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

"The LORD" or YHWH as it is often put is the only one who can save the people from their sins, and Matthew says Jesus will do what only YHWH can do (is what the angel from heaven is telling Jesus human parents).

The angel also goes further in naming him after Joshua servant of Moses and saying why. That leads us to the second item.

Second:
They named Jesus after JoshuaJoshua's original name was Hoshea, but Moses changed it to Joshua. We transliterate these, but the name was originally 'Saviour' and was changed to 'YHWH is the Saviour'. This, one of the few names ever explained in canon, was then the name for Jesus. Hence, Matthew is telling us that he is YHWH. By name.​

Soapy

Sorry but ‘I am’ is not a name.

‘I am’ is not what the O.P. asked for.

If it were as you claim then everyone whoever lived has blasphemed because they have said, ‘I am’ of themselves at and at many times in their lives.

In fact, am I God? If I say, ‘I am God’, does that mean ‘God God’?

What does this mean:
  • ‘Before Abraham, God
  • ‘Before Abraham, I am’ (Eigo Eimi)
And:
  • Jesus told the man who was born blind to go wash his eyes…. ‘So the man went and washed, and came home seeing …” The jews asked if this was the same man. Some said this of that but… “Others were saying, ‘This is he,’ still others were saying, ‘No, but he is like him.’ But the man himself kept saying, ‘I am‘“ (Eigo Eimi) (John 9:7 & 9:9)
Was the man born blind claiming he was God?

Soapy

Also see my 10 year old thread "Is Jesus God?". It's endless, the back and forth. Have fun!
These things need to be revisited from period to period as different people ask the question and others alter their belief.

Soapy

The tetragrammaton יהוה ("Yawheh)" isn't really a name. It's more like a riddle than even a title. Jesus said not one of those tittles (in the title, the three yod) will disappear from the title before it is finished at which time the riddle will be known as a a new title יהודי ("Jew") revealing two of the tittle in the title "Jew." One of the three tittles in the title "Jew" יהודי is still shrouded in mystery.

John
?

Soapy

Ok. This is not hard, and you may disagree if you like. Nobody says we all must agree upon trivial details or be equally knowledgable.

[Mat 1:21 NIV] 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."​
When Matthew uses "Because he will save his people from their sins" he is identifying Jesus with The Acrostic YHWH. First of all whose people are they? Who can save them from their sins? They are not Moses people, not David's people, not even Abraham's people. No, they are The LORD's people, as-in belonging to. Secondly what does Jesus name mean, and what is the significance of him being called it?
First:
[2Ch 20:9 NIV] 9 'If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.'
[Psa 106:47 NIV] 47 Save us, LORD our God, and gather us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name and glory in your praise.
[Psa 116:4 NIV] 4 Then I called on the name of the LORD: "LORD, save me!"
[Mat 1:21 NIV] 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."

"The LORD" or YHWH as it is often put is the only one who can save the people from their sins, and Matthew says Jesus will do what only YHWH can do (is what the angel from heaven is telling Jesus human parents).

The angel also goes further in naming him after Joshua servant of Moses and saying why. That leads us to the second item.

Second:
They named Jesus after JoshuaJoshua's original name was Hoshea, but Moses changed it to Joshua. We transliterate these, but the name was originally 'Saviour' and was changed to 'YHWH is the Saviour'. This, one of the few names ever explained in canon, was then the name for Jesus. Hence, Matthew is telling us that he is YHWH. By name.​
So are you saying that Joshua was also ‘YHWH’?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Sorry but ‘I am’ is not a name.

‘I am’ is not what the O.P. asked for.

If it were as you claim then everyone whoever lived has blasphemed because they have said, ‘I am’ of themselves at and at many times in their lives.

In fact, am I God? If I say, ‘I am God’, does that mean ‘God God’?

What does this mean:
  • ‘Before Abraham, God
  • ‘Before Abraham, I am’ (Eigo Eimi)
And:
  • Jesus told the man who was born blind to go wash his eyes…. ‘So the man went and washed, and came home seeing …” The jews asked if this was the same man. Some said this of that but… “Others were saying, ‘This is he,’ still others were saying, ‘No, but he is like him.’ But the man himself kept saying, ‘I am‘“ (Eigo Eimi) (John 9:7 & 9:9)
Was the man born blind claiming he was God?

'I Am" absolutely is a name.

Soapy

'I Am" absolutely is a name.
‘I am’ is not a name.

‘I am’ is the MEANING of the NAME that God gave himself.

‘Jesus’ (Joshua /Yeshua) are names which carry the meaning: ‘God is salvation’.

‘GOD’ is a TITLE, like Monarch, King, Judge, Ruler…

‘YHWH’ is a name of which the MEANING is ‘I Am’ as a direct transliteration. It is a shortened set of words for the longer sentence: ‘I am who I am’.

‘Peter’ (‘Cephas’) is a name carrying the meaning of ‘Stone’. ‘Stone’ is not a name used of a person. But if you insist then you are claiming that Peter was ‘Christ’ who followed the Israelites in the wilderness:
  • “for they drank from the spiritual PETER that accompanied them, and that PETER was Christ.” (1 Cor 10:4)

Brian2

Veteran Member

Brian2

Veteran Member
1 Peter 2:7 To you who believe, then, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” 8 and, “A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word— and to this they were appointed.

Isaiah 8:13 YHWH of Hosts is the One you shall regard as holy. Only He should be feared; only He should be dreaded. 14 And He will be a sanctuary— but to both houses of Israel a stone of stumbling and a rock of offense, to the dwellers of Jerusalem a trap and a snare.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
‘I am’ is not a name.

‘I am’ is the MEANING of the NAME that God gave himself.

‘Jesus’ (Joshua /Yeshua) are names which carry the meaning: ‘God is salvation’.

‘GOD’ is a TITLE, like Monarch, King, Judge, Ruler…

‘YHWH’ is a name of which the MEANING is ‘I Am’ as a direct transliteration. It is a shortened set of words for the longer sentence: ‘I am who I am’.

‘Peter’ (‘Cephas’) is a name carrying the meaning of ‘Stone’. ‘Stone’ is not a name used of a person. But if you insist then you are claiming that Peter was ‘Christ’ who followed the Israelites in the wilderness:
  • “for they drank from the spiritual PETER that accompanied them, and that PETER was Christ.” (1 Cor 10:4)

Who are you?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure you've heard it before, but Jesus is throughout the NT credited with the actions and attributes of the Father. God created the heavens and earth (Genesis, Isaiah, Psalms, etc.) and Jesus created everything. Jesus is the I AM of the burning bush. In Numbers, it is the LORD who is tested and sends snakes, in Corinthians it is Jesus. In Colossians Jesus is called the fullness of God in the flesh. Biblically, Jesus is the one true God.

So you believe that it is possible that Jesus has a name that is different and above the tetragrammaton?

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why do trinitarian ideologists say that Jesus Christ is YHWH?

Because it say "In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, the Word was God :)

And all the other replies were so spot-on!

Brian2

Veteran Member
Malachi 3:1 “Behold, I send my messenger, and he will prepare the way before me. And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the YHWH of hosts.