• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is something I do not understand about the Left....
Why do they speak of overpopulation only when it deals with Europeans...whereas Europeans' birth rates are the lowest in the world?

That said, I think overpopulation is the problem...but the ones who cause it are non Europeans.
I do worry quite a lot about overpopulation. I have come to say that it is the one point of the right's agenda that I can agree with.

Not on nationalistic terms, however.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I have food on the table, and I pay the electrical bill, and I live a life where I think of the environment, I do not eat meat, and actually I feel better than before.
Yes... I wasn't talking about you but rather giving input at why other people may not consider the environment. If a vehicle is necessary (as you now know) -- some people just don't have the financial capacity to buy an electrical car.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was against vegetarianism, I'm not. Some people enjoy meat and feel better than not eating. Choice?

I have taken bus all my life and lived all my life in the countryside, never in the city, Yes the bus takes a bit longer time, but no worries about the environment since many busses here are electrical.
Where do you live?

In Florida there are no electrical buses that I know of. I don't think there is enough charge for a bus considering the distances that would need to be covered.

Just thinking... doesn't it take fossil fuel to make electricity?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes... I wasn't talking about you but rather giving input at why other people may not consider the environment. If a vehicle is necessary (as you now know) -- some people just don't have the financial capacity to buy an electrical car.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was against vegetarianism, I'm not. Some people enjoy meat and feel better than not eating. Choice?

Where do you live?

In Florida there are no electrical buses that I know of. I don't think there is enough charge for a bus considering the distances that would need to be covered.

Just thinking... doesn't it take fossil fuel to make electricity?
I live in Norway, where they use mostly waterfalls to produce electricity.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I live in Norway, where they use mostly waterfalls to produce electricity.
In 1963 Italy built the highest dam in the world, in thd Alps, but...there was an accident.:(

There were several hydroelectric plants depending on that dam

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why do some people almost refuse to look at nature and say, Yes we do have a problem with pollution?
Or in the big cities where pollution is visible? Do they not see that it is clearly comming from cars that use fosile fuel?

The worsed polluted Cities in the world are in Asia, so maybe Americans or Europeans do not care about it since those people are so far away?

America`s worsed pollutes cities Most Polluted Cities | State of the Air

Europa`s worsed polluted cities Europe: Pollution Index by City 2018

So everyone who cares about the future would maybe benefit from study the situation we are in?

I noticed in previous threads involving 'over population of the world,' those that proposed there is 'no problem' refused to acknowledge the extreme degraded environment as an indication of 'over population.'

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think there is already enough food to feed 12 billion people and meat helps make it possible. :)
Beef production is especially costly in terms of both feed and water needed just to produce one pound of hamburger. When I saw that stats on this about 40 or so years ago, I questioned them, but I then asked my father who grew up on a farm that raised some livestock. He said that he can believe it, especially if one actually spends time with cows and see how much they eat and especially drink.

I'm going from memory, which is always somewhat questionable when it comes to accuracy, but I think it take 17 lbs of foodstuff and 20,000 gallons of water to produce just 1 pound of hamburger. OTOH, poultry is much more efficient along those lines, but if you ever walk by a large chicken farm, try to move fast so as not to have to breathe.

leov

Why do some people almost refuse to look at nature and say, Yes we do have a problem with pollution?
Or in the big cities where pollution is visible? Do they not see that it is clearly comming from cars that use fosile fuel?

The worsed polluted Cities in the world are in Asia, so maybe Americans or Europeans do not care about it since those people are so far away?

So everyone who cares about the future would maybe benefit from study the situation we are in?
Greed and selfishness.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think some people might see that it's not something they have to worry about in their own lifetimes. But in the meantime, people are using all these products and services which generate pollution and waste. People have grown attached to their conveniences, luxuries, and gadgets. They don't want to give those things up.

Maybe people could benefit from studying it more, but in the end, it's more a matter of how much luxury and convenience people wish to sacrifice and do without.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suspect the problem is that a lot of folks depend of fossil fuels for their livelihood. Unless we come up with an alternative means for people to support themselves it is going to be very difficult to get people to change.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes, some refuse. I think also, there are those who are trying to put food on the table and pay the electric bill and pollution takes a back seat to living.

Great job! For it to be accessible to the everyday person?

I think there is already enough food to feed 12 billion people and meat helps make it possible. :)

Beat me to it...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

It's due to indoctrination and propaganda produced by the fossil fuel lobby, and cuts to education funding, which results in willfully ignorant and scientifically illiterate yokels.

Kenny

Premium Member
Do you realize that meat eats too, uses up a lot of land and resourses and produces a lot of waste, right? It's extremely ineffecient.
Hardly... extremely efficient.

Birds keeps the insects population down. Big cats keep the bird population down. Cape buffalos kill big cats to keep the big cats population down. And Cape buffalos keep the grass low. And we eat the buffalos to keep the buffalo population down. Very efficient.

Kenny

Premium Member
You... compare the meat industry, factory farming, domesticated livestock, etc. to hunting wild game.
It's a circle of life no matter how one splices and dices. The cattle livestock in our area actually is better for the land they feed on that letting it go wild.

Kenny

Premium Member
Do you realize that meat eats too, uses up a lot of land and resourses and produces a lot of waste, right? It's extremely ineffecient.
No. Using land is not producing waste.

Cow hide produces leather for clothing, meat produces food (meat, milk and butter) for the hungry and finances for the worker, cow manure is used for fertilization. It provides a base for many ointments including the insulation material used to cool and heat your house along with artists’ brushes, footballs, industrial oils and lubricants, tallow for tanning, soaps, lipsticks, face and hand creams, some medicines. Fatty acids are used used to make automobile tires run cooler and, therefore last longer. Bones, horns, and hooves supply buttons, bone china, piano keys, glues, fertilizer, and gelatin for photographic film, paper, wallpaper, sandpaper, combs, toothbrushes, and violin string.

So it is quite efficient. IMO.

Milton Platt

I guess the same reason people think the earth is flat.......willful ignorance???