• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some remember?

Maya3

Why is it that some people remember their past life and some don´t?

I understand that if you are spiritually advanced and have done spiritual practice for many lifetimes before you might remember. But then I would assume that you would be reborn in a family where reincarnation is an accepted concept.

As some of you know, I have worked with a child who remember things from a or maybe several? lives. He was born into a family with an Atheist dad and a non practicing Christian.

Still, how could this little guy remember things, and most other kids not?
I have worked with a lot of kids for many years and I have only come across this once. Why do you think this particular kid could remember?

Maya

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I only have a guess in response to your post. Perhaps it has something to do with the manner in which their previously body died? Perhaps an overly traumatic death imprints on a soul?

:camp:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I only have a guess in response to your post. Perhaps it has something to do with the manner in which their previously body died? Perhaps an overly traumatic death imprints on a soul?

:camp:

I think that's an excellent guess. :) The death to birth transition, if traumatic, could well be sort of 'missed'.

In the end, it doesn't really matter why. It's kind of like asking why some people are tall, etc.

Maya3

I don´t want to give too many details here since it´s not my child I´m talking about.
But if this boy was in fact correct, he knew which country he lived in earlier and it was on the other side of the world with a completely different culture.

Could be a trauma I guess, but he was an unusually wise calm boy, didn´t have any tantrums or arguments (as kids usually do from time to time). So I have a hard time picturing him dying in some kind of traumatic event. He spoke of old age too, so I get the sense that it was a calm natural passing.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don´t want to give too many details here since it´s not my child I´m talking about.
But if this boy was in fact correct, he knew which country he lived in earlier and it was on the other side of the world with a completely different culture.

Could be a trauma I guess, but he was an unusually wise calm boy, didn´t have any tantrums or arguments (as kids usually do from time to time). So I have a hard time picturing him dying in some kind of traumatic event. He spoke of old age too, so I get the sense that it was a calm natural passing.

Maya

I've also heard that very old souls (near to a lifetime when moksha is acheived) would easily remember. To them it would be just natural.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste.

Certainly it is possible to remember "frames in a movie" from one's past life, though it is not common. Sometimes this "flash back" serves the need in dire circumstance as a "lesson learned" or "best practice" to help you or even help another, and it is all there in the akashic record. But you also have to be careful in distingushing what might be just flight of fantasy or an odd dream from what might be significant.

For example, sometimes I have very, very vivid and full color dreams, often situational in my current time and place but with some totally "bend in the light curve" quirk to it. Does this mean such a vivid dream is a glimpse into the past (or future)? In 99 percent of the cases, it is just the mind "at work sorting things out" or too much curry sauce.

For example, take just last night.

I had the most vivid dream, one of those I speak of. I told my wife about it right away, that was the sort of dream it was. She said it is because I can be like that person in my dream.

The dream was I wake up at 2 am in the morning. I actually feel myself getting up in my dream in the dark room, my legs moving, I am looking out from my eyeballs just as in realtime (in other words, I am not seeing myself in full view in my dream but seeing as if you are looking out your eyes), my arm pulls the blanket aside, my legs work their way off the bed, I am walking carefully left and right leg in the dark, hands touching this wall or that, opening the door and down the short hall, going into the bathroom, and I look at the mirror and turn on the light switch.

I see instantly in the mirror, from the waist up my sleep shirt and my neck and head above the shirt collar ...

The head looking back at me, MY HEAD - it wasn't my normal head.

Instead it was the rather thick neck and square black haired face with those deadeye black smokey iris eyes and pointed ears of the head of a black coarse haired timber wolf.

If you have ever seen a timber wolf, you know what I mean. Least to say, I was so startled in my dream that I said out loud, "I have the head of a wolf" - I said this verbally out loud. Then I woke up in bed, and went back to sleep.

... so does this mean I was a wolf, or will be one soon?

I don't think so.

Now, I do suspect that as a result of some very bizarre out of the blue "afternoon sleep" from decades ago, that I might have some connection in a past life with something British, there is a horse carriage driven by some other person in a naval type uniform and it is fall season as leaves are tumbling in the wind and there is an element of India there since I have a 2 Anna Coin in my hand but am fallling down for some reason. Just a vivid afternoon dream? Hell if I know, but every time I see a horse and buggy in SF or Disneyland or anywhere for that matter and hear those fast "clump, clump, clump" of the horseshoes on cobblestone, I am gripped back to that very vivid afternoon dream of so long ago and cannot shake it.

Or maybe I drank too mucg lemonaide.

Om Namah Sivaya

Maya3

Namaste.

Certainly it is possible to remember "frames in a movie" from one's past life, though it is not common. Sometimes this "flash back" serves the need in dire circumstance as a "lesson learned" or "best practice" to help you or even help another, and it is all there in the akashic record. But you also have to be careful in distingushing what might be just flight of fantasy or an odd dream from what might be significant.

For example, sometimes I have very, very vivid and full color dreams, often situational in my current time and place but with some totally "bend in the light curve" quirk to it. Does this mean such a vivid dream is a glimpse into the past (or future)? In 99 percent of the cases, it is just the mind "at work sorting things out" or too much curry sauce.

For example, take just last night.

I had the most vivid dream, one of those I speak of. I told my wife about it right away, that was the sort of dream it was. She said it is because I can be like that person in my dream.

The dream was I wake up at 2 am in the morning. I actually feel myself getting up in my dream in the dark room, my legs moving, I am looking out from my eyeballs just as in realtime (in other words, I am not seeing myself in full view in my dream but seeing as if you are looking out your eyes), my arm pulls the blanket aside, my legs work their way off the bed, I am walking carefully left and right leg in the dark, hands touching this wall or that, opening the door and down the short hall, going into the bathroom, and I look at the mirror and turn on the light switch.

I see instantly in the mirror, from the waist up my sleep shirt and my neck and head above the shirt collar ...

The head looking back at me, MY HEAD - it wasn't my normal head.

Instead it was the rather thick neck and square black haired face with those deadeye black smokey iris eyes and pointed ears of the head of a black coarse haired timber wolf.

If you have ever seen a timber wolf, you know what I mean. Least to say, I was so startled in my dream that I said out loud, "I have the head of a wolf" - I said this verbally out loud. Then I woke up in bed, and went back to sleep.

... so does this mean I was a wolf, or will be one soon?

I don't think so.

Now, I do suspect that as a result of some very bizarre out of the blue "afternoon sleep" from decades ago, that I might have some connection in a past life with something British, there is a horse carriage driven by some other person in a naval type uniform and it is fall season as leaves are tumbling in the wind and there is an element of India there since I have a 2 Anna Coin in my hand but am fallling down for some reason. Just a vivid afternoon dream? Hell if I know, but every time I see a horse and buggy in SF or Disneyland or anywhere for that matter and hear those fast "clump, clump, clump" of the horseshoes on cobblestone, I am gripped back to that very vivid afternoon dream of so long ago and cannot shake it.

Or maybe I drank too mucg lemonaide.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thank you for sharing that. That is a very powerful dream I about the wolf head, it is probably a metaphor for you being very very strong, and that you just need to look at yourself to see it. That's my interpretation anyway.

The dream about you riding in a horse drawn carriage sounds like it might be a past life, especially the feelings you get when you hear horses.

I had a dream once that I think could be a past life too.
I was a child and I had come home from going to school in the morning, and I had ridden in the back of a horse drawn cart with my dad. I don't remember any actual dream scenes from that, but it was clear in the dream that I had. What was very vivid was that I stood outside our house (not a house I have ever seen) and spoke to my mom through the kitchen window.
I said; Mom no one was at school we had to turn back.
My mom said; Everyone is too hungry they don't have the strength.
Then I looked to my left and I saw a field that was black and bare.
That was the end of the dream.

The interesting thing was that I dreamt I was a child, I'm 46, I never dream that I'm a child. I'm always the way I am now.

Maya

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've often thought some of our fears that are near phobias could easily relate to past lives. I'm not positive, but it's possible that I was electrocuted and fell last lifetime. (My own uncle) and I do have electricity fear and height fear, but then who doesn't?

Maya, your dream sounds very past-lifeish to me. Makes no sense for this lifetime.

Maya3

I've often thought some of our fears that are near phobias could easily relate to past lives. I'm not positive, but it's possible that I was electrocuted and fell last lifetime. (My own uncle) and I do have electricity fear and height fear, but then who doesn't?

Maya, your dream sounds very past-lifeish to me. Makes no sense for this lifetime.

Its common, but if you feel that it might have happened there is probably more to it than just fears.

Thanks, I think so too everything was so different, still it was me.

Maya

Last edited: