• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some people keep telling others

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why do some people keep tell others they are wrong in their religious beliefs?
Can humans not accept that others may believe different than our own belief?

If people keep telling others they are wrong, isnt that a sign of ego?

( OP starter did do this in the past too, so not free of guilt)

HonestJoe

Typically, I suspect because they think the others are wrong and that in being wrong they're bringing unnecessary harm to themselves or others. It's really the same reason people will tell others they're wrong about any other subject or area. I'm sure there are all sorts of other reasons and motives, of varying validity and honesty, but more often than not, I'd expect it to boil down to this one.

Nimos

Maybe you are correct, depends how you look at it. :)

Thirteen Muslim countries officially punish atheism or apostasy by death and Humanists International asserts that "the overwhelming majority" of the 193 member states of the United Nations "at best discriminate against citizens who have no belief in a god and at worst can jail them for offences dubbed blasphemy".

In some Muslim-majority countries, atheists face persecution and severe penalties such as the withdrawal of legal status or, in the case of apostasy, capital punishment.

A 2009 survey showed that atheists were the most hated demographic group in Brazil, among several other minorities polled, being almost on par with drug addicts. According to the research, 17% of the interviewees stated they felt either hatred or repulsion for atheists, while 25% felt antipathy and 29% were indifferent.

Discrimination against atheists in the United States occurs in legal, personal, social, and professional contexts. Many American atheists compare their situation to the discrimination faced by ethnic minorities, LGBT communities, and women.

Despite polling showing that nonbelievers make up an increasingly large part of the population there is only one public atheist in all of the state legislatures across the nation. Few politicians have been willing to acknowledge their lack of belief in supreme beings, since such revelations have been considered "political suicide".

A 2015 Gallup survey found that
40% of Americans would not vote an atheist for president, and in polls prior to 2015, that number had reached about 50%. A 2014 study by the University of Minnesota found that 42% of respondents characterized atheists as a group that did "not at all agree with my vision of American society", and that 44% would not want their child to marry an atheist. The negative attitudes towards atheists were higher than negative attitudes towards African-Americans and homosexuals but lower than the negative attitudes towards Muslims. Many in the U.S. associate atheism with immorality, including criminal behaviour, extreme materialism, communism and elitism.

The constitutions of seven U.S. states ban atheists from holding public office. However, these laws are unenforceable due to conflicting with the First Amendment and Article VI of the United States Constitution

Atheist or agnostic men are prohibited from marrying Muslim women (Algerian Family Code I.II.31)

The penalty under Section 2 and 3 of Article 28 of the Digital Security Act is a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine of BDT 1 million, or both. A person that commits the same offense several times is subject to imprisonment for up to 10 years or a “fine not exceeding Taka 20 lac (BDT 2 Million), or with both.” Allegedly, DSA is being used to prosecute any person for atheistic remarks.

Atheism is prohibited in Libya and can come with a death penalty, if one is charged as an atheist.

And so on...

So guess you are correct, why should anyone care what others believes, its not like anyone gets hurts, right? ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Why do you keep asking?

;0)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe you are correct, depends how you look at it. :)

Thirteen Muslim countries officially punish atheism or apostasy by death and Humanists International asserts that "the overwhelming majority" of the 193 member states of the United Nations "at best discriminate against citizens who have no belief in a god and at worst can jail them for offences dubbed blasphemy".

In some Muslim-majority countries, atheists face persecution and severe penalties such as the withdrawal of legal status or, in the case of apostasy, capital punishment.

A 2009 survey showed that atheists were the most hated demographic group in Brazil, among several other minorities polled, being almost on par with drug addicts. According to the research, 17% of the interviewees stated they felt either hatred or repulsion for atheists, while 25% felt antipathy and 29% were indifferent.

Discrimination against atheists in the United States occurs in legal, personal, social, and professional contexts. Many American atheists compare their situation to the discrimination faced by ethnic minorities, LGBT communities, and women.

Despite polling showing that nonbelievers make up an increasingly large part of the population there is only one public atheist in all of the state legislatures across the nation. Few politicians have been willing to acknowledge their lack of belief in supreme beings, since such revelations have been considered "political suicide".

A 2015 Gallup survey found that
40% of Americans would not vote an atheist for president, and in polls prior to 2015, that number had reached about 50%. A 2014 study by the University of Minnesota found that 42% of respondents characterized atheists as a group that did "not at all agree with my vision of American society", and that 44% would not want their child to marry an atheist. The negative attitudes towards atheists were higher than negative attitudes towards African-Americans and homosexuals but lower than the negative attitudes towards Muslims. Many in the U.S. associate atheism with immorality, including criminal behaviour, extreme materialism, communism and elitism.

The constitutions of seven U.S. states ban atheists from holding public office. However, these laws are unenforceable due to conflicting with the First Amendment and Article VI of the United States Constitution

Atheist or agnostic men are prohibited from marrying Muslim women (Algerian Family Code I.II.31)

The penalty under Section 2 and 3 of Article 28 of the Digital Security Act is a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years or a fine of BDT 1 million, or both. A person that commits the same offense several times is subject to imprisonment for up to 10 years or a “fine not exceeding Taka 20 lac (BDT 2 Million), or with both.” Allegedly, DSA is being used to prosecute any person for atheistic remarks.

Atheism is prohibited in Libya and can come with a death penalty, if one is charged as an atheist.

And so on...

So guess you are correct, why should anyone care what others believes, its not like anyone gets hurts, right? ;)
You bring up something very important here. Unfortunately i been one who gave atheists bad words my self in the past, and now regret those bad comments i made.(thats on me, not the atheists)

And yes your post touch a major problem seen in many religions.

Nimos

You bring up something very important here. Unfortunately i been one who gave atheists bad words my self in the past, and now regret those bad comments i made.(thats on me, not the atheists)

And yes your post touch a major problem seen in many religions.
You are from Norway, if im not mistaken. But imagine you are at home and suddenly it knocks on your door, and its the police and they tell you that they know that you have been posted on RF that you are a Muslim. So they charge you for it and execute you simply for not believing in the same as they do. Doesn't matter if you have committed a crime or hurt anyone, simply for not believing as them. That is freaking sick.

You have to remember that we live in countries that are extremely tolerant towards religious beliefs. And these beliefs make people do crazy things, and again they can't even demonstrate that their believes are correct, so its basically straight up executions being done here.

And you can't even defend yourself with that argument as an atheist, because that is what you are being charge with.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You are from Norway, if im not mistaken. But imagine you are at home and suddenly it knocks on your door, and its the police and they tell you that they know that you have been posted on RF that you are a Muslim. So they charge you for it and execute you simply for not believing in the same as they do. Doesn't matter if you have committed a crime or hurt anyone, simply for not believing as them. That is freaking sick.

You have to remember that we live in countries that are extremely tolerant towards religious beliefs. And these beliefs make people do crazy things, and again they can't even demonstrate that their believes are correct, so its basically straight up executions being done here.

And you can't even defend yourself with that argument, because that is what you are being charge for.
I have had the Police on my door, asking me why I become a sufi, they did not harm me, but I understand that feeling.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Yep, as this is an area whereas it is virtually impossible to for one to prove they're correct on which is the supposedly right one.

As for myself, I treat all scriptures as being allegorical, thus I am mainly just interested in what I can find useful to help me and hopefully others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
how did they find out about it?
Survilance on the net. As far as they told me.
And a few of my over the top negative comments on some few political figures a bit to public for their likning, luckely for me I changed my behaviour very quickly after that visit...

Nimos

Survilance on the net. As far as they told me.
And a few of my over the top negative comments on some few political figures a bit to public for their likning, luckely for me I changed my behaviour very quickly after that visit...
Guess they are spying on you :D

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I don't think it's a sign of ego to disagree on facts. It would be a sign of ego for somebody to prove that you're wrong and then, instead of accepting the new evidence, accuse them of being egoistic for questioning you.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't think it's a sign of ego to disagree on facts. It would be a sign of ego for somebody to prove that you're wrong and then, instead of accepting the new evidence, accuse them of being egoistic for questioning you.
Disagreement will be there, but to say "your religion or religious belief is wrong" is a bit dangerous in my understanding

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Disagreement will be there, but to say "your religion or religious belief is wrong" is a bit dangerous in my understanding

I disagree completely. If we're to honestly seek the truth, then we also must be prepared to argue for what we believe is and isn't true. We must also be prepared to admit when we're wrong, but we have to start somewhere.