• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some crime feel like crime in some places?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I have a friend of mine living in the UAE (Abu Dhabi) running some grocery businesses because he prefers the lifestyle there. Ironically he contacted me today for a specific purpose and it so happened someone tried to rob one of his outlets last night. Probably around 2 or 3 AM. It was such a shock to him and to everyone else I spoke to about it. Some one broke his cctv camera, entered the front door using some kind of key that actually opened the door, and tried to rob the cash register. Failed.

The thing that came to our minds was that it is such a big deal that someone tried to rob a store that the whole neighbourhood have woken up. All seem to have realised that there is a faint chance they can get robbed too. The police are apparently going all over the place looking for camera footage to trace whoever was walking around at that time to nail the culprits.

Why is this such a big deal? Ultimately the guy didn't even get robbed. All he lost was a camera or two. When you ponder over it, in this city you will never imagine a robbery would take place. Of course crimes do occur but something like this is so rare that it really feels like a crime. I think it is quite similar in Japan or at least in the places that I can trace like in Tokyo and Gunmaken. I don't think people are even bothered closing doors. Also I think in Denmark you have a similar air around the city. Do you really dream you will get robbed?

All of these countries are rich enough to provide this level of safety in my opinion. I mean the developed countries and some rich cities. Why is it that in some developed countries you would not feel safe after 7 PM? Some robbery happened down the street? Ah, thats nothing. No big deal.
"Feeling" safe or unsafe often has nothing to do with actual safety or crime rates.
Despite steeply falling rates of violent and property crime in the US for nearly 10 years, public perception is that crime has been steadily increasing. Much of this is down to the way crime is reported and recorded.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
By "we", who do you mean? Society or the government?

The US in general. Labor resources/material resources. Not sure if I can include financial resources wrt the government since we seem to continue to go deeper into debt.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I have a friend of mine living in the UAE (Abu Dhabi) running some grocery businesses because he prefers the lifestyle there. Ironically he contacted me today for a specific purpose and it so happened someone tried to rob one of his outlets last night. Probably around 2 or 3 AM. It was such a shock to him and to everyone else I spoke to about it. Some one broke his cctv camera, entered the front door using some kind of key that actually opened the door, and tried to rob the cash register. Failed.

The thing that came to our minds was that it is such a big deal that someone tried to rob a store that the whole neighbourhood have woken up. All seem to have realised that there is a faint chance they can get robbed too. The police are apparently going all over the place looking for camera footage to trace whoever was walking around at that time to nail the culprits.

Why is this such a big deal? Ultimately the guy didn't even get robbed. All he lost was a camera or two. When you ponder over it, in this city you will never imagine a robbery would take place. Of course crimes do occur but something like this is so rare that it really feels like a crime. I think it is quite similar in Japan or at least in the places that I can trace like in Tokyo and Gunmaken. I don't think people are even bothered closing doors. Also I think in Denmark you have a similar air around the city. Do you really dream you will get robbed?

All of these countries are rich enough to provide this level of safety in my opinion. I mean the developed countries and some rich cities. Why is it that in some developed countries you would not feel safe after 7 PM? Some robbery happened down the street? Ah, thats nothing. No big deal.
Probably, if you are not married in Abu Dhabi, and kiss some girls on the cheek, you land some months in some medieval prison.

a huge crime, indeed.

ciao

- viole

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Every day here in the USA I can read about a racist incident often a cop abusing a Black person and getting away with it. And it gets so bad that sometimes the black victim of a crime gets attacked by the police.

If I were black, I'd not call the cops because I would not trust the police. I'd expect to be harassed by the cops if they showed up.

And it's not just racism but bigotry in general because we have areas where the government tells teachers they can't mention racism in the class and in one case went so far as to demand that holocaust deniers be given equal treatment when there's a history class on WWII and the holocaust.

That to me is a very big part of the problem in certain areas of the USA.
Racism isn't only in the direction you say, ie, white towards black.
It's also the reverse. Especially so with younger blacks.
The point....
Our problems are much larger than you say.
We need a major cultural shift towards tolerance,
responsibility, & civility.
Magnificent Mile: More Trouble For Area That Was Once A Crown Jewel Of American Retail

BTW, I have no solution (in case you wondered).

firedragon

Veteran Member
The US in general. Labor resources/material resources. Not sure if I can include financial resources wrt the government since we seem to continue to go deeper into debt.

What is the budget spent on security of the citizens, RND vs budgets for other things that you may think could be compromised in order to improve welfare or ISEW.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Racism isn't only in the direction you say, ie, white towards black.
It's also the reverse. Especially so with younger blacks.
The point....
Our problems are much larger than you say.
We need a major cultural shift towards tolerance,
responsibility, & civility.

BTW, I have no solution (in case you wondered).
I'm sure pearl clutching over "young blacks" being rude to their white betters is going to be a major stepping stone towards greater tolerance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sure pearl clutching over "young blacks" being rude to their white betters is going to be a major stepping stone towards greater tolerance.
You believe that rudeness is the problem, eh.
Eurostanians sure can suffer from complete
cluelessness about Ameristan's troubles.

firedragon

Veteran Member

PureX

Veteran Member
Mostly it's cultural. When government and business behave like criminals, they tend to ratify that behavior in others, and often even force others to engage in it out of necessity. Criminality becomes "just the way things are".

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Why is it in some of the most developed and rich countries this does not happen? They have all the resources.

Its more than just resources, It's public attitude, frustration, median earnings, how the law is applied, etc.

On the opposite side of the coin are places like Mexico that are so corrupt, you can get away with anything in exchange for cash.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Its more than just resources, It's public attitude, frustration, median earnings, how the law is applied, etc.

On the opposite side of the coin are places like Mexico that are so corrupt, you can get away with anything in exchange for cash.

I am guessing that corruption exists in most parts of the world. You can bribe your way to bliss.

Yet I am speaking about day to day crime. These thieves are not big dons with influence who have dominance even with the police and the magistrate.

Why are some states not focusing on the social freedom of its citizens? Lets say the king of the country, vis a vis the president or the prime minister, who ever is the state leader is corrupt. Yet, is that the reason?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Mostly it's cultural. When government and business behave like criminals, they tend to ratify that behavior in others, and often even force others to engage in it out of necessity. Criminality becomes "just the way things are".

That's an interesting take. My first reaction is that it has some merit.
If I have time later, I might trawl around for correlation between corruption and crime, but if you're aware of anything specific, let me know (here or PM).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What is the budget spent on security of the citizens, RND vs budgets for other things that you may think could be compromised in order to improve welfare or ISEW.

Tough question, not sure what you mean by RND. ISEW is a rather complex economic indicator.

Anyway, I suspect I misunderstood the question.
Are you asking why this developed countries would concern themselves with these minor crimes?