• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do Some Christians Not Recognize The Holy Mother Of Jesus?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Mystic-als said:
But then why does Christ "make" intesesion for us. As in still doing it. continueous.

Off the top of my head, I'm not absolutely certain why that laguage is used. Could just be an artifice of the translation but more likely it is due to the eternal nature of the Incarnation. This is a bit speculative on my part as I've never read anything on this precise subject, but Christ still has both a human and a Divine nature and His being the mediator between man and God is, thus, eternal. It's rather similar to the way we view the Eucharist as taking part in the one, eternal sacrifice rather than repeating or reenacting it. Temporal language with respect to the Divine is always prone to misinterpretation.

James

SunMessenger

Catholic
Mystic-als said:
Doesn't the bible say that Jesus is at the right hand of God making intersession for us already. Why do we need Mary? (Not an attack, just a question)
Well I feel You are correct. You do not need to ask The Holy Mother. This however returns us to one of the original questions. What is the harm in it if we do ask The Holy Mother to help us with our prayers? Why do many Christians choose to regard Her as just a woman who died and not at least recognize She may be held in Heaven in a much brighter light ? Be Well and God Bless...

Mystic-als

I personally think it fine. But then I can also pray to my dead grandfather.
This is frowned upon by the church I was brought up in. Okay, not so much frowned upon as forbidden.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Katzpur said:
Well, I'd be reasonably open to considering any first-hand accounts recorded during the first century or century and a half after Jesus' death. Of course, I would need to know the specifics before I would just accept anyone's statment as fact. If I can accept that various resurrected beings appeared to Joseph Smith, I wouldn't deny the possibility of Mary appearing in a vision, etc. to someone. God works in whatever ways He knows will accomplish His purposes. You're going to have a much more difficult time convincing me that she can hear and answer prayers, though, or save someone's life. I would also feel that there would have to be a specific purpose for the apparition. If God was going to have Mary appear to someone, I would think that it would be in order to relay a message of some sort and that there would be some reason why she would have been the best person to relay that message.

Catholic theology functions in conjunction with the family setting. I usually try to stay away from sounding too legalistic anyways. In this framework one can come to understand why God would allow his Mother to do things. Just one very powerful example in my opinion is the wedding feast at Cana. Grab your Bible and follow along with my insanity if you will....:D .......:shout . John Chapter 2

John 2:4
"Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come."
It literally reads: What is this to me and to you?
A Hebrew expression of either hostility (Judges 11:12; 2 Chron 35:21; 1 Kings 17:18) or denial of common interest (Hosea 14:9; 2 Kings 3:13).

So Christ had no interest in bringing about wine to the wedding. His hour had not yet come. So what does Mary do? She says to the servants, "Do whatever He tells you."

Do whatever He tells us! That's why Marian devotion does not take us away from Christ. It refocuses our eyes and our ears on whatever he tells us and that's what she is passionately concerned about.

But also interestingly is that Christ listened to His Mother. He could have very easily repeated Himself and said "No, it is not my time."

God is such a family man that He is willing to listen to His mommy. Personally, I find that very beautiful and it blows my mind.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I won't be back until 7/5. I would greatly appreciate your input on my comments Katz. :)

~Victor

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Victor said:
Catholic theology functions in conjunction with the family setting. I usually try to stay away from sounding too legalistic anyways. In this framework one can come to understand why God would allow his Mother to do things. Just one very powerful example in my opinion is the wedding feast at Cana. Grab your Bible and follow along with my insanity if you will....:D .......:shout . John Chapter 2

John 2:4
"Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come."
It literally reads: What is this to me and to you?
A Hebrew expression of either hostility (Judges 11:12; 2 Chron 35:21; 1 Kings 17:18) or denial of common interest (Hosea 14:9; 2 Kings 3:13).

So Christ had no interest in bringing about wine to the wedding. His hour had not yet come. So what does Mary do? She says to the servants, "Do whatever He tells you."

Do whatever He tells us! That's why Marian devotion does not take us away from Christ. It refocuses our eyes and our ears on whatever he tells us and that's what she is passionately concerned about.

But also interestingly is that Christ listened to His Mother. He could have very easily repeated Himself and said "No, it is not my time."

God is such a family man that He is willing to listen to His mommy. Personally, I find that very beautiful and it blows my mind.
Victor,

I have absolutely no doubt that Jesus was a devoted and obedient son to Mary. I am also certain that she recognized Him as her Savior. I am not convinced, however, that their mother-son relationship supports the notion that Mary is to be vererated to the degree she is by the Catholic Church. She will not, after all, ultimately have anything to do with our salvation. I'm sure she was an absolutely incredible woman, and I'm sure Christ would want us to regard her with the highest esteem. Period.

Katz

nutshell

Katzpur said:
Victor,

I have absolutely no doubt that Jesus was a devoted and obedient son to Mary. I am also certain that she recognized Him as her Savior. I am not convinced, however, that their mother-son relationship supports the notion that Mary is to be vererated to the degree she is by the Catholic Church. She will not, after all, ultimately have anything to do with our salvation. I'm sure she was an absolutely incredible woman, and I'm sure Christ would want us to regard her with the highest esteem. Period.

Katz

I wonder if that's true. We hear of prophets of the various dispensations being present at judgement. I'm not saying mary was a prophet, but perhaps she deserves a spot at the table if you know what I mean. Just thinking outloud here.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
nutshell said:
I wonder if that's true. We hear of prophets of the various dispensations being present at judgement. I'm not saying mary was a prophet, but perhaps she deserves a spot at the table if you know what I mean. Just thinking outloud here.
Well, I'm sure that response will earn you a few frubals from Victor. ;) I personally wouldn't venture a guess as to who's going to be on the jury. I suppose that, if God wants Mary there, she'd be a great advocate for mothers. I wouldn't mind seeing her there.

nutshell

Katzpur said:
Well, I'm sure that response will earn you a few frubals from Victor. ;) I personally wouldn't venture a guess as to who's going to be on the jury. I suppose that, if God wants Mary there, she'd be a great advocate for mothers. I wouldn't mind seeing her there.

Hey, Victor...read Kat's post...I could use some FRUBALS!!!

lol

moonrush

Because Mary did not die for my sins, Jesus did. Also, consider this verse it really says a lot:
“One of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to [Jesus], ‘Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.’ But He said, ‘On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it’ (Luke 11:27,28 NASB).

moonrush

also this verse:
“While [Jesus] was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. Then one said to Him, ‘Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.’ But He answered and said to the one who told Him, ‘Who is My mother and who are My brothers?’ And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, ‘Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother’” (Matthew 12:46-50 NKJV).

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Why not give The Holy Mother Of Jesus Prayer? Why are some Christians so against this? We give respect to our own mothers. Why not The Holy Mother Of Jesus Christ? If You read some information about Her Message it only asks for prayer and repentance for sins. Whats so wrong about that ? I thought I would inquire. Be Well and God Bless...
Are you asking us to believe that you have no idea why?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Why not give The Holy Mother Of Jesus Prayer? Why are some Christians so against this? We give respect to our own mothers. Why not The Holy Mother Of Jesus Christ? If You read some information about Her Message it only asks for prayer and repentance for sins. Whats so wrong about that ? I thought I would inquire. Be Well and God Bless...

2 major reasons:
1. The Bible is the standard.
2. Mary was Holy, not divine.