• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some celebrate Jesus death?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I hope i do not offend the Christian members of RF with my question.

Why do Christian people celebrate Christ's death and not his life? To me it seems like it is more important to ser his death than to gain from the teaching Jesus gave as a living being?

Even to me as a muslim, Jesus is important but as a great prophet.

pearl

In John's gospel Jesus' passion is referred to as the 'book of glory'. Jesus raised up on the cross, raised to his 'glory'.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In John's gospel Jesus' passion is referred to as the 'book of glory'. Jesus raised up on the cross, raised to his 'glory'.
Thank you for your reply:)
I am aware of the resurection :)

Do the bible say believers may use the teaching to resurection them selvs too? Or how would they reach their God in paradise?
Only by belief?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Why do Christian people celebrate Christ's death and not his life? To me it seems like it is more important to ser his death than to gain from the teaching Jesus gave as a living being?
Of course we celebrate his life!

And I for one don't celebrate his death

I do however celebrate him coming back to life, having been killed

It is the resurrection that is important, not so much the death

Although yes, his death was a part of his resurrection

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Because the foundational claim of Christianity is that Jesus conquered death and Hell on our behalf by his resurrection. The promise then is that by faith in Jesus as our mediator we can be reconciled with God and thus attain eternal happiness in Heaven.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because the foundational claim of Christianity is that Jesus conquered death and hell on our behalf by his resurrection. The promise then is that by faith in Jesus as our mediator we can be reconciled with God and thus attain eternal happiness in Heaven.
Must a Christian person remove their one wrongdoing or how they act, speak or thinking? or can they live as they like without any form of trying to become without sin?

Sorry for my many questions

Teritos

Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead.

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
on a message board like this, that's what people do.
I also ask (atheists for the most part) many questions here.

Jesus's teaching is great.
But if you have sins you're indebted before God.
Also in an earthly court, if you're required to pay money, mere teaching does not bring you any further.
You need the money.
Same is with God.
Only heavenly money can solve the problem of your (anyone's) sins.

But Jesus's death does have a value for God.
I suppose God payed Jesus for his efforts.
Bible says every workman merits pay.

And understand it that way (by the way I studied economics before I became a musician).
And Jesus reinvested his money to make an offer:
anyone willing to declare him as Lord confessing their sins... may be profiting from that money and their debts are getting washed away.
God the father accepts this deal. He accepts Jesus's money instead of the sums of money that humans should have paid for their sins.

This is at least how I understand the thing.

Yes, Jesus's life was great also.
Must a Christian person remove their one wrongdoing or how they act, speak or thinking? or can they live as they like without any form of trying to become without sin?
It's like in court: how do you remove your debts there? When they say you have to pay an amount of money... the only thing you could do to sort this out is by paying it.
In my understanding: whenever we sin, we need to pay some amount of money. Heavenly currency is needed.
If we can't, we have a problem.
This is how I see this.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
on a message board like this, that's what people do.
I also ask (atheists for the most part) many questions here.

Jesus's teaching is great.
But if you have sins you're indebted before God.
Also in an earthly court, if you're required to pay money, mere teaching does not bring you any further.
You need the money.
Same is with God.
Only heavenly money can solve the problem of your (anyone's) sins.

But Jesus's death does have a value for God.
I suppose God payed Jesus for his efforts.
Bible says every workman merits pay.

And understand it that way (by the way I studied economics before I became a musician).
And Jesus reinvested his money to make an offer:
anyone willing to declare him as Lord confessing their sins... may be profiting from that money and their debts are getting washed away.
God the father accepts this deal. He accepts Jesus's money instead of the sums of money that humans should have paid for their sins.

This is at least how I understand the thing.

Yes, Jesus's life was great also.

It's like in court: how do you remove your debts there? When they say you have to pay an amount of money... the only thing you could do to sort this out is by paying it.
In my understanding: whenever we sin, we need to pay some amount of money. Heavenly currency is needed.
If we can't, we have a problem.
This is how I see this.
Thank you for a really good answer:) i realize my understanding of how Christian view of Jesus have been wrong.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It's to do with the concept of the reconciliation between God and Man, known as the Atonement, which according to Christianity was achieved by the sacrifice of Christ's death on the cross. There is an explanation of this here: BBC - Religions - Christianity: Why did Jesus die?

But your question is far from trivial, as there are numerous theories of the Atonement (described in the link), and no real consensus as to which of them Christians should believe. (Personally I incline to the Moral Influence theory of Abelard). But it is indeed a curious fact that this, which is at the heart of Christian belief, is not a clearly resolved issue!

However as @thomas t says, it is the Resurrection, which represents Christ's triumph over death, which is really celebrated, at Easter.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I celebrate His life and death and resurrection. He came to teach us and to take our sins away and give us mercy and life instead of the just penalty for our sins.
Without Jesus death there is no gospel (which means good news).
Does the world need more people telling them to be good? Maybe, but we all need God's mercy more than we need new commandments.
The commandment that Jesus gave was to love all people and this is what He teaches us to do once we accept Him and He gives us His Holy Spirit to be with us and guide us and change us to be like Him.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I celebrate His life and death and resurrection. He came to teach us and to take our sins away and give us mercy and life instead of the just penalty for our sins.
Without Jesus death there is no gospel (which means good news).
Does the world need more people telling them to be good? Maybe, but we all need God's mercy more than we need new commandments.
The commandment that Jesus gave was to love all people and this is what He teaches us to do once we accept Him and He gives us His Holy Spirit to be with us and guide us and change us to be like Him.
This is all perfectly orthodox indeed, but actually does not explain why there would be no gospel without Jesus's death. His teaching, surely, was independent of his actual death. The unresolved point is what purpose his death really served.

Orbit

I'm a planet

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because Jesus is depicted on a cross that Christians are celebrating his death. What they are celebrating is that he OVERCAME death through his resurrection. The symbol of the cross also symbolizes not death, but that he died for their sins so that they too could have eternal life. It's not just a matter of belief, but also "works" or living by Jesus' example. I hope that helps.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Don't make the mistake of thinking that because Jesus is depicted on a cross that Christians are celebrating his death. What they are celebrating is that he OVERCAME death through his resurrection. The symbol of the cross also symbolizes not death, but that he died for their sins so that they too could have eternal life. It's not just a matter of belief, but also "works" or living by Jesus' example. I hope that helps.
Similar to muslims who should live by Muhammed example :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
This is all perfectly orthodox indeed, but actually does not explain why there would be no gospel without Jesus's death. His teaching, surely, was independent of his actual death. The unresolved point is what purpose his death really served.

There are numbers of explanations of Jesus death and how it brought about atonement and peace between man and God.
If we look at the Old Testament we can see that death for us humans came about through sin and that in the Law of Moses it was the offering of the life of an unblemished animal that atoned for and covered the sins of the Jews for a short time. This was pointing to the time when God would give the life of His unblemished (sinless) Son to atone for our sins for all time. Justice has been served.
When we accept that offering for us we enter into that death of Jesus and God sees us as having already died for our sins with Jesus.
So we then should not die for our sins and so are given everlasting life along with Jesus who was raised from death to everlasting life.
This is the gospel (good news) that could not have happened just through the teachings of Jesus about how we should live.
Without accepting that offering that Jesus made we deserve death because of our sins and can only hope God is merciful at the judgement.
By accepting that offering it is Jesus, God's beloved Son, who accepts us into His Kingdom because of the Covenant (agreement) that He made that all who believe in Him should not perish but should have everlasting life.

Last edited:

pearl

But your question is far from trivial, as there are numerous theories of the Atonement (described in the link), and no real consensus as to which of them Christians should believe. (Personally I incline to the Moral Influence theory of Abelard). But it is indeed a curious fact that this, which is at the heart of Christian belief, is not a clearly resolved issue!

However as @thomas t says, it is the Resurrection, which represents Christ's triumph over death, which is really celebrated, at Easter.

John speaks of Jesus' glorification in a way that includes the crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension as a single event.

While the Death and Resurrection are liturgically separate celebrations, the death and resurrection is one event, D/R

.Our redemption through the suffering of Christ is that deeper love within us which not only frees us from slavery to sin, but also secures for us the true liberty of the children of God, in order that we might do all things out of love rather than out of fear - love for him that has shown us such grace that no greater can be found.
Peter Abelard BBC - Religions - Christianity: Why did Jesus die?

There is an alternative view, that incarnation was the reason for creation, God's sharing of life and love in a unique and definitive way. God becoming human is not an afterthought, an event to make up for Original Sin and human sinfulness.
Incarnation is God's first thought, the original design for all creation. The purpose of Jesus' life is the fulfillment of God's eternal longing to become human, to share divine life.
For John, this hour is not sacrifice but epiphany, the manifestation of God.
John Duns Scotus (1266-1308),