• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Atheists trust specifically chosen stories about Muhammed as historical fact?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is possible to accept some things as likely to contain some degree of truth, while rejecting others, but you should have a legitimate reason for doing this.
I have never commented on what is given in Quran or hadith. I have not said that what is mentioned in Quran or Hadiths is true or false. I have only mentioned what is written in them (in the current topic, hadiths). The readers will make their own conclusions.
Because an atheist must by default be "independent". Or are you saying you have blind faith where you believe some story with no question or methodology? Could you explain?
I am independent but I have my own biases. I do not believe in God / soul / messengers, prophets, etc. / heaven or hell / and judgment by a God. This is what terms me as an atheist. My belief wants me to be as clinical as possible. Every time a science finding comes up, I check it with my belief which adheres to science. So You cannot call me a blind believer of any philosophy. There is no story which I will believe without questioning.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have never commented on what is given in Quran or hadith. I have not said that what is mentioned in Quran or Hadiths is true or false. I have only mentioned what is written in them (in the current topic, hadiths). The readers will have to make their own conclusions.

False.

Is theological literature all false? Then the Muslims also should not use it as history.
Even Quran was complied by Zayed ibn Thabit from various sources including that of his own, and third Caliph Uthman destroyed the differing versions.

Thats your post. It is not saying "this is what is said, so you can make your own conclusions". You just made that up.

You are making a proper statement with conviction. Irrelevant one of course, but a clear statement.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In the first sentence I do not agree that all theological literature is false. There may be some truth and some falsehood also. There are always deletions and interpolations. If the different versions of Quran had not differed, then Caliph Uthman would have had no reason for destroying all versions of Quran other than what was given to him. I reported what I find written in Wikipedia page on Quran. I am sure you too are aware of some Quran history.

Wikipedia also reports that personal copies of the Quran might have existed including Ibn Mas'ud's and Ubay ibn Ka'b's codex (they were companions of Mohammad), none of which exist today.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
In the first sentence I do not agree that all theological literature is false.

Great. But what is your historical method employed to say "Even Quran was complied by Zayed ibn Thabit from various sources including that of his own, and third Caliph Uthman destroyed the differing versions."?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am sure you too are aware of some Quran history.

So you believe everything Muslims say about the history of the Quran is absolutely true? Or do you cherry pick what you want to quote, like what you already did because you "ONLY BELIEVE THAT PARTICULAR STORY IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE"?

Isn't there any historical method at all?

I have never commented on what is given in Quran or hadith. I have not said that what is mentioned in Quran or Hadiths is true or false. I have only mentioned what is written in them (in the current topic, hadiths). The readers will make their own conclusions.

"You" was meant in the sense of 'people in general' rather than you specifically.

I wasn't saying you have done that, but it is true that many other people will reject the legitimacy of the Islamic traditions in general, while also accepting them as historical fact only in the cases where they show Islam in a bad light.

HonestJoe

I can't read minds HJ.
You seem to be struggling with your own mind at the moment so lets keep it simple;

You've claimed some atheists did something. I think you're wrong (or just making it up). If you are unwilling or unable to back up your accusation, the assumption will remain that you're wrong and so your question is moot.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Great. But what is your historical method employed to say "Even Quran was complied by Zayed ibn Thabit from various sources including that of his own, and third Caliph Uthman destroyed the differing versions."?
The historical method is being applied by Wikipedia, I only quoted it. Personally I do not believe even in a single word of Quran, starting with 'lā ʾilāha ʾillā -llāhu'. After all, I am a 'strong' atheist who does not even accept the possibility of Existence of any God - not just the Abrahamic God but even the Hindu Gods and Goddesses.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I never said that stories quoted by me from hadiths were absolute truth.

If they are not the truth, why make statements like this?

"Even Quran was complied by Zayed ibn Thabit from various sources including that of his own, and third Caliph Uthman destroyed the differing versions."

firedragon

Veteran Member
You seem to be struggling with your own mind at the moment so lets keep it simple;

Ah. I think you are trying to find opportunity to feel good about yourself by putting others down. As long as you find some solace that way, its alright.

You've claimed some atheists did something. I think you're wrong (or just making it up). If you are unwilling or unable to back up your accusation, the assumption will remain that you're wrong and so your question is moot.

Read through the OP, and the thread.

firedragon

Veteran Member
The historical method is being applied by Wikipedia, I only quoted it. Personally I do not believe even in a single word of Quran, starting with 'lā ʾilāha ʾillā -llāhu'. After all, I am an atheist.

What is the historical method applied "by wikipedia" as you said, and why do you trust it?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If they are not the truth, why make statements like this?
I never said that they are untruth. People should check for themselves.

"What is the historical method applied "by wikipedia" as you said, and why do you trust it?": For that, kindly visit Wikipedia. How their articles are written and maintained is described in detail. I will give you a link, if I can find that.
Here: Help:Introduction to Wikipedia - Wikipedia

We are getting too hot. Perhaps it will be better for us to cool down for some time.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I never said that they are untruth. People should check for themselves.

"What is the historical method applied "by wikipedia" as you said, and why do you trust it?": For that, kindly visit Wikipedia. How their articles are written and maintained is described in detail. I will give you a link, if I can find that.
Here: Help:Introduction to Wikipedia - Wikipedia

We are getting too hot. Perhaps it will be better for us to cool down for some time.

What is the historical method you applied to this which is your own statement?

"Even Quran was complied by Zayed ibn Thabit from various sources including that of his own, and third Caliph Uthman destroyed the differing versions."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
As I said, Wikipedia does that in its pages, and they are thorough about it. Half of the references there are from Muslims.

Fallen Prophet

Like what?
Just what he said about the Jews and Christians, taking his adopted sons' wife, having sex slaves, making his followers suck on the teats of women who are not their wives, sucking on the tongues of little boys, his child bride, etc.

Not to mention all the people he had killed.