• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so many religious people care what others believe?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You were a bit older and at an age where humans usually are more rebellious, so naturally you would have more defenses set up. I think the system actually worked, why would it have been in use for centuries, if it didn't? There was also a carrot in olden days, the license to legally marry not given to non-confirmed Christians.
My reasons for my not just lack of faith but hatred for faith in God were a lot more profound that those reasons you mentioned. I was raised to go to church 3 times a week and everyone considered me a polite young boy. Looking back from 30 years after that period of time my mother was the only actual Christian in our family, the rest of us simply thought we were because we spent so much time in Church, but that is like claiming to be a car because we spent so much time in the garage.

Anyway what made me both disbelieve and hate God was that my mother suffered from and finally died from cancer over the course of 5 years. However despite the rest of the family being pissed off heathens at the time every one of us are Christians now. God somehow used her suffering to eventually draw each of us to him at much later dates.

If it lasted for a longer time or was timed earlier in developmental stage, I'm sure many more would have been past superficial. Still many formed a relationship to their religion there that stuck.
I am not sure how much you know about Christianity but according to Christ even demons believe in God. It is not an association with a religion (no matter how sincere or dedicated) that saves anyone, it is only those who are born again and have the holy spirit come to live in their hearts that will make it to heaven.

Past a certain age, forcing belief isn't easy anyway...
Maybe, but that sounds an awful lot like an attempt to limit God's ability by pointing out man's ability. When I was in church all the time I was completely separated from God (even before my Mom got sick), it was 30 years after the last time I was in a church that I actually came to know God as my savior. So at least in my case your dynamic is reversed. I required (as most would) decades of experience to see that I was indeed a sinner, to see just how destructive sin was, and to have met enough people on both sides of the issue to have the humility to admit our moral failure and accept Christ's free gift.

Jumi

Are you sure Hell does not exist?
Yes. For one thing, I don't believe there exists an evil God that condemns people to eternity of torture for not believing something with no evidence.
Second, many religions propose hells, starting with pagan religions.

How did you acquire such afterlife information?
You could ask the same question from yourself, how did you acquire afterlife information? Surely you don't just trust people that told you there is hell?

Are you unaware Jesus "went there, did that"?
Since I'm not Christian, I'm completely unaware that Biblical accounts of supernatural are factual.

How would you feel if not only does Hell exist but you are asking obstructionist questions of people trying to stop other people from going to Hell?
I don't believe there are such weak Gods that are obstructed in their plans by questions of mortals, especially not ones that are said to almighty.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You just said in post #112 that the person has certainty in their religious beliefs. Is your point then that no one has any certainty except for you?
What your referring to was a hypothetical, not a truth claim.

Proselytizing is similar to second-hand smoke. I don't want to share their smoke if I'm close and I really hate it when they blow it in my face.
That has nothing to do with anything I said.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Suppose someone feels the same as you but doesn't believe in the same faith as you do? The problem isn't your zeal to tell people, the problem is believing you have all the answers and without your warnings, we are all doomed.

Do not most religions have a Heaven and Hell?

And can you hear a false warning, recognize it as such, and move on? We know the Earth is round, man landed on the Moon, but should we get annoyed at those idiots?

No.

Should you get annoyed at me being an idiot trying to beg you to receive a free gift of eternal life?

Jumi

My reasons for my not just lack of faith but hatred for faith in God were a lot more profound that those reasons you mentioned. I was raised to go to church 3 times a week and everyone considered me a polite young boy. Looking back from 30 years after that period of time my mother was the only actual Christian in our family, the rest of us simply thought we were because we spent so much time in Church, but that is like claiming to be a car because we spent so much time in the garage.
True. I sat through mandatory church many times and I never was Christian while there. Lucky for me, I didn't hate faith even as a kid. In fact I enjoyed the stories somewhat, just like I liked to read Greek mythology and stuff like that. The singing I have to admit I hated, because you had to fake that you were enjoying the depressing songs or get talked to by adults. I was just thinking how I'll never fake emotions like this again when I'm an adult, ha. :)

I am not sure how much you know about Christianity but according to Christ even demons believe in God. It is not an association with a religion (no matter how sincere or dedicated) that saves anyone, it is only those who are born again and have the holy spirit come to live in their hearts that will make it to heaven.
I've heard of this theory, as well as others about being born again. It seems like something more popular in the US. The state church here taught that you were only saved through a personal relationship to Jesus. Grace and baptism played into that.

Maybe, but that sounds an awful lot like an attempt to limit God's ability by pointing out man's ability. When I was in church all the time I was completely separated from God (even before my Mom got sick), it was 30 years after the last time I was in a church that I actually came to know God as my savior. So at least in my case your dynamic is reversed. I required (as most would) decades of experience to see that I was indeed a sinner, to see just how destructive sin was, and to have met enough people on both sides of the issue to have the humility to admit our moral failure and accept Christ's free gift.
I think people go through various natural phases and return to that what we were taught when we were kids. It signifies the time of rebellion against injustice in society and family is over naturally, we become builders of the tradition who hold it up. Though we've learned somethings that had to change in that tradition. For me, my father taught me a lot about honor such as was held family tradition. It wasn't an important part of my life for some decades, but some years ago I ended up in a bad place and survived depression through meditation. It was after that, that I came back to holding that as important. Though it would be false to say that we are just what we are controlled to be.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do they? That is a fairly good question. That would depend a lot on how you categorize and count them, I think.

Another good question is that of how similar those concepts are when they do exist. Hindus, for instance, do not have the idea of an eternal hell, far as I know. Buddhist saints have actually sworn to pursue hell as they conceive it, mainly because they see it as their duty to teach those lost in anguish and ignorance.

Deidre

And can you hear a false warning, recognize it as such, and move on? We know the Earth is round, man landed on the Moon, but should we get annoyed at those idiots?

No.

Should you get annoyed at me being an idiot trying to beg you to receive a free gift of eternal life?

Depending on where you live, most EVERYONE knows what Christianity teaches. Most everyone has access to a Bible, unless you live in third world countries or perhaps in countries where you will be killed for having a Bible. But, most people know what Christianity teaches. I've shared my beliefs with people, but ultimately, it is up to that person and their desire to know God, or retreat from God...or not believe in one at all, that is comes down to. So my thread title might be a little too vague, you should care. I should ''care.'' But, you have to accept that many people...just don't care, and don't want you preaching to them.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
That is a risk I will gladly take, given the circunstances.

And @Jumi 's question remains unanswered. Are you sure that hell exists? Sure enough to justify your claims, at least?

The circumstances as I understand them:

* You know less about the afterlife than I (I have trustworthy, recorded testimonies of the dead and resurrected) and you are making a reverse Pascal's wager (if there is no Hell, I don't care, if there is, I've only wasted my chances at redemption eternally).

* Yes, I'm sure Hell exists (see testimonies above).

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Depending on where you live, most EVERYONE knows what Christianity teaches. Most everyone has access to a Bible, unless you live in third world countries or perhaps in countries where you will be killed for having a Bible. But, most people know what Christianity teaches. I've shared my beliefs with people, but ultimately, it is up to that person and their desire to know God, or retreat from God...or not believe in one at all, that is comes down to. So my thread title might be a little too vague, you should care. I should ''care.'' But, you have to accept that many people...just don't care, and don't want you preaching to them.

I've found the opposite to be true. When I explain the gospel clearly and accurately, without jargon, most people say, "Wow, I never heard it put that way before . . . thank you."

Do you know the Christian gospel or a parody or image of it?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Do they? That is a fairly good question. That would depend a lot on how you categorize and count them, I think.

Another good question is that of how similar those concepts are when they do exist. Hindus, for instance, do not have the idea of an eternal hell, far as I know. Buddhist saints have actually sworn to pursue hell as they conceive it, mainly because they see it as their duty to teach those lost in anguish and ignorance.

I was aware when I wrote that post that such a criticism would arise. The same people who point out when presented with Pascal's wager that there are thousands of religions to choose from always manage to find the one religion they think lacks a Hell!

Buddhism does not have the same type of eternal Hell but all suffering on Earth is considered resultant from not adhering to the Buddha's eightfold path--Hell is Earth, Earth is Hell, ALL suffer--which they do sometime.

Some Hindus have a karmic Hell. That mosquito you just squashed by slapping at it was grandma come back as a mosquito for sin.

So YES, all religions have a Heaven and Hell or release.

Trust me, I have a Religion Bachelor's!

But thanks for finding the two possible exceptions out of thousands and religions and sects! :)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Yes. For one thing, I don't believe there exists an evil God that condemns people to eternity of torture for not believing something with no evidence.
Second, many religions propose hells, starting with pagan religions.

You could ask the same question from yourself, how did you acquire afterlife information? Surely you don't just trust people that told you there is hell?

Since I'm not Christian, I'm completely unaware that Biblical accounts of supernatural are factual.

I don't believe there are such weak Gods that are obstructed in their plans by questions of mortals, especially not ones that are said to almighty.

Hell is not eternal torture (as in Islam), it is eternal punishment (Biblical).

We don't go to Hell for disbelieving something. We go to Hell for 1) not being perfect and therefore able to live in Heaven 2) for our sin. Sin is when you do things you know you shouldn't do. Ever do those things?

I acquired my afterlife information this way:

1. Reading from eyewitness of Christ I felt were reliable

2. Researching the origin of the Bible further to check those writers

3. Researching fulfillment of prophecy to check those writers further

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The circumstances as I understand them:

* You know less about the afterlife than I (I have trustworthy, recorded testimonies of the dead and resurrected) and you are making a reverse Pascal's wager (if there is no Hell, I don't care, if there is, I've only wasted my chances at redemption eternally).

* Yes, I'm sure Hell exists (see testimonies above).
Heck, no. I would never waste time with even a reverse Pascal's Wager. That would be giving it entirely too much importance.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
True. I sat through mandatory church many times and I never was Christian while there. Lucky for me, I didn't hate faith even as a kid. In fact I enjoyed the stories somewhat, just like I liked to read Greek mythology and stuff like that. The singing I have to admit I hated, because you had to fake that you were enjoying the depressing songs or get talked to by adults. I was just thinking how I'll never fake emotions like this again when I'm an adult, ha. :)
I have been on both sides of that fence. I agree with everything you have said above except I would replace your enjoyment concerning the stories with my enjoyment of the church breakfasts and sporting events, but I loathed most of the rest. However after I was an adult and had been born again I went back to church it's like suddenly the lights came on. I now see the significance of it all and fell the profoundness in many of the hymns and in giving praise. The part of church I hated the most as a kid was the singing, these days I can't get through the song Amazing grace without getting choked up with gratitude and humility. If the church was merely what me and you experienced as children then it would not explain why it has thrived in the face of oppression for 2000 years. Its because it actually is the church I now see as an adult that explains it. I regret that you never made the same uturn concerning faith that I have and are instead left with a child's superficial view of church.

Most people are more concerned with money, sex, what is on TV, or who's at the bar to think about philosophy. However if you really think about it.

Unless God and faith in God exists (I am referring to the biblical God). There is no actual foundation for:

1. Racial equality.
2. The sanctity of human life.
3. The inherent worth of humanity.
4. Objective moral values and duties.
5. Ultimate hope.
6. Ultimate meaning.
etc.........

I've heard of this theory, as well as others about being born again. It seems like something more popular in the US. The state church here taught that you were only saved through a personal relationship to Jesus. Grace and baptism played into that.
Born again is how a relationship with Jesus is established. We are all born separated from God (Which perfectly explains why we originally thought it fake or posturing), that is why we must be born again. Our first birth is how we gain a biological family, the second birth is how we gain a divine family. The roll that grace plays is in that we are all sinners we may be born again despite that based on the merit of God. You have the description down but not what your describing. It's the difference between Webster's definition of love and the actual experience of unconditional love of a mother (or father) towards a child (even if the child is misbehaving).

I think people go through various natural phases and return to that what we were taught when we were kids. It signifies the time of rebellion against injustice in society and family is over naturally, we become builders of the tradition who hold it up. Though we've learned somethings that had to change in that tradition. For me, my father taught me a lot about honor such as was held family tradition. It wasn't an important part of my life for some decades, but some years ago I ended up in a bad place and survived depression through meditation. It was after that, that I came back to holding that as important. Though it would be false to say that we are just what we are controlled to be.
I do not believe that humanity is one monolithic group that all acts the same. We are not all Joseph Stalins nor all Billy Grahams. We are 6 billion different shades of grey but some groups do have some shared experiences. We all have our ups and downs. Sometimes we are led by what Lincoln called the better angels of our natures and at other times we do horrific things we didn't believe we were capable of. However God is not so pliable. He says come to him however you are. The doorway to God is Christ and it's digitally simplistic.There is no neutrality, no shades of grey, you are either a born again member of his family on your way to heaven or your a lost soul destined for a much harsher fate. Regardless of whether we like it or not that is the core doctrine of Christianity. Don't look at God through the lens of a child's experience in a church, look at God through the lens of a morally perfect God bleeding and dying on a cross to save all of humanity despite it's moral insanity and universal rebellion. All he asks is consent to live with him in eternal contentment. If you found him and were born again your experience in church would be radically recalibrated, plus you would then have the necessary foundation for all those things I listed above plus a thousand others similar to them.

If you want I can explain the rational behind all this born again, Christian exclusivity, foundational stuff but I didn't want to swamp you with information you might not want to bother reading.

Last edited:

Jumi

So YES, all religions have a Heaven and Hell or release.

Trust me, I have a Religion Bachelor's!
Off the top of my head JWs, much of modern European protestants, the religion of my ancestors... these don't have hell. Probably could add many branches of taoism and confucianism there.

Jumi

Hell is not eternal torture (as in Islam), it is eternal punishment (Biblical).
Doesn't seem all that different.

Sin is when you do things you know you shouldn't do. Ever do those things?
Well many of those things you know you shouldn't do are actually things many find are things that are things you should do and think you're going to hell for it.

I acquired my afterlife information this way:

1. Reading from eyewitness of Christ I felt were reliable

2. Researching the origin of the Bible further to check those writers

3. Researching fulfillment of prophecy to check those writers further
I understand that you believe this, but to me it's not reliable as science and gnosis. Having read the Bible, I don't believe in the Bible's accuracy historical or prophecywise and don't see any of the miracles being true.

Jumi

If the church was merely what me and you experienced as children then it would not explain why it has thrived in the face of oppression for 2000 years. Its because it actually is the church I now see as an adult that explains it. I regret that you never made the same uturn concerning faith that I have and are instead left with a child's superficial view of church.
My view isn't the one I held as a child, though that's where my going to church ended, I've only been to funerals since and don't plan to go there for any other reason. It's not that surprising that the church thrived after it became a state religion of practically every European country and became instead the oppressor. Though not all they did was bad, they did destroy many religions and cultures with prejudice. Have you heard of the gnostics?

Most people are more concerned with money, sex, what is on TV, or who's at the bar to think about philosophy. However if you really think about it.
I'd assume most of those people aren't on RF debating. :) I see those things as a waste of time like you do, but from a different perspective.

Unless God and faith in God exists (I am referring to the biblical God). There is no actual foundation for:

1. Racial equality.
I disagree. There never was a reason for racial inequality in the first place.

2. The sanctity of human life.
That is giving credit to your religion for something that people of other religions also have and no-religion.

3. The inherent worth of humanity.
I disagree.

4. Objective moral values and duties.
Duties are part of human societal structures. Moral values come from traditions more than they come from religion. Case in point is that until late, it used to be no different in the eyes of the law and morals how children were treated than adults. It was scientific and secular progress that changed all that. If objective morals of past religious folks had their say, we would still have child marriages in the west and equal punishments for them.

5. Ultimate hope.
6. Ultimate meaning.
I don't feel these are needed. If you need them, and feel your religion gives them to you that's a good thing. For me, accepting anything that comes is the way I go about things.

Born again is how a relationship with Jesus is established. We are all born separated from God (Which perfectly explains why we originally thought it fake or posturing), that is why we must be born again. Our first birth is how we gain a biological family, the second birth is how we gain a divine family. The roll that grace plays is in that we are all sinners we may be born again despite that based on the merit of God. You have the description down but not what your describing. It's the difference between Webster's definition of love and the actual experience of unconditional love of a mother (or father) towards a child (even if the child is misbehaving).
In gnostic view, knowledge of God is/was primary over faith in God. As such scriptures, church hierarchy and rituals played less of a role, because everyone could find knowledge within themselves. It sounds like how your faith in God is formed is closer to what the early church in it's heterogenous ways had, but what was lost with the suppression of the Gnostic Christians by the mainstream. The question that's more important to me is, is your experience of "being born again" a one time event and does it shake you in a way that you feel like you can ignore some of the scripture because "you know better" or do you feel like it binds you to it once and then you just accept all of the Bible like that.

Don't look at God through the lens of a child's experience in a church, look at God through the lens of a morally perfect God bleeding and dying on a cross to save all of humanity despite it's moral insanity and universal rebellion. All he asks is consent to live with him in eternal contentment. If you found him and were born again your experience in church would be radically recalibrated, plus you would then have the necessary foundation for all those things I listed above plus a thousand others similar to them.
I already have my perspective of god, though I'm not sure if our gods are the same and if they are, what explains the difference. My gnosis made me realize that no religion really points the way to right or wrong, but that we have to strive for that ourselves. Good intentions and reading books don't necessarily make our morals better, often people lose their lives or worse from people with good intentions that didn't have the real knowledge of how things work. I'm seeing this problem more when religion is used to divide between races or other traits they are born with.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I love how many of the responses in this thread have turned into the very thing the thread was created to criticize. How many pages did it take?

Deidre

I've found the opposite to be true. When I explain the gospel clearly and accurately, without jargon, most people say, "Wow, I never heard it put that way before . . . thank you."

Do you know the Christian gospel or a parody or image of it?
Idk why, but this brought tears to my eyes...this is really beautiful, what you said. :heart: