• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Do So Many People Reject Difference?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A lot of people in the world out there seem to have an aversion to differences in others. Difference in ethnic groups, religions, sexual orientation, etc.

Why do you suppose that is? Why don't we all just look at the similarities and ignore the differences? Why do people ostracized people who are special needs- physically and mentally?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Immaturity might be one reason. During our teen years, most of us seem to feel a desire to conform to our peer's behavior and expectations. At that time in our lives, rejecting differences is to some extent natural. Perhaps rejecting differences latter on in life is a carry over from those years. A kind of refusal to grow up.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think part of it is instinct. Thnk back to tribe days, if smeone who dressed differently and didnt speak their language arrived...would they be on their guard or welcome them with open arms?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think part of it is instinct. Thnk back to tribe days, if smeone who dressed differently and didnt speak their language arrived...would they be on their guard or welcome them with open arms?

Instinct is almost certainly part of it. I recall studies done on six month old babies that seemed to indicate the babies were already prejudiced against people who spoke with an accent different than their parents.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Instinct is almost certainly part of it. I recall studies done on six month old babies that seemed to indicate the babies were already prejudiced against people who spoke with an accent different than their parents.

it maks you wonder whether tolerance, open mindedness and all that other stuff which is coined as human is actually human or not, or whether it is learnt.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
it maks you wonder whether tolerance, open mindedness and all that other stuff which is coined as human is actually human or not, or whether it is learnt.

I think I know what you mean, and yeah, it does make you wonder. But I would hesitate to refer to what is learned, as opposed to what is inherent, as non-human. Besides, humans seem to be a bundle of contradictions, so far as instincts go.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think I know what you mean, and yeah, it does make you wonder. But I would hesitate to refer to what is learned, as opposed to what is inherent, as non-human. Besides, humans seem to be a bundle of contradictions, so far as instincts go.

We are a confused lot :p

romana03

Being able to rise above instinctual behaviour and react with reason is, in my opinion, part of what makes us human. We are part of the animal kingdom, and we do have animal instincts and drives, but we can rise above them and respond with generosity and tolerance.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's my general observation that supposed aversion to differences is highly contextual. People have every right to set personal boundaries of what they do and don't like or tolerate. Everybody does it. In-group and out-group dynamics is a cornerstone of social animal interaction.

Onkara

A lot of people in the world out there seem to have an aversion to differences in others. Difference in ethnic groups, religions, sexual orientation, etc.

Why do you suppose that is? Why don't we all just look at the similarities and ignore the differences? Why do people ostracized people who are special needs- physically and mentally?

I say it is because we have an image of our self or a self-image which we become comfortable with, it is constructed. So when there are selves who are different then our self-image becomes challenged by their ways, we start to wonder if we too should change and comply and that brings unrest. Basically it is insecurity due to not knowing who or what we really are.

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
Pack mentality, human beings work in packs. As soon as one member loses interest the pack becomes weaker.

Nooj

none
Why don't we all just look at the similarities and ignore the differences?
Because differences are important. The things that make me different from you is important to me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's in our nature to want to associate with our own kind, & to fear those who are different.....after all, differencing is threatening.
But you list only extremely minor ones, eg, religion, race, sexual perversion....things of no significance.
What about reprobates who prefer southern to northern Chinese cuisine? Those sneaky dangerous bas***** must die!