• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so few people keep the seventh day Sabbath?

rosends

And Jesus told his followers to "keep the commandments". And the sabbath was created long before the time of Moses. God worked six days and rested on the seventh. He blessed that day and made it holy for ALL people, not just Israel. Maybe the Passover was a sign of their deliverance from slavery.
While in Genesis 2:1-3, the sabbath is blessed and made holy, there is no commandment regarding it. Only later is there any law associated with it, when the law is given to the Jews (Ex 20) and then the text states that the practice of the Sabbath is a specific activity for the children of Israel (Ex 31).

lostwanderingsoul

Are you making all the animal sacrifices the law of Moses required?

The law was a shadow representing the real things to come. Under the new covenant the Sabbath day of rest is that eternal day of rest he will give his people when he returns. I definitely plan to keep that Sabbath without doing any work.

The scripture says not to let any man judge you in respect to the Sabbath which was a shadow of things to come. Colossians 2:16-17
I am not saying anything about sacrifices. YOU said that Jesus commandment was love. And God made the universe in six days and rested on the seventh. God made the seventh day HOLY. If you really love God you would remember everything he made holy. God says in the Bible, "I never change". If God made something holy thousands of years ago, then it is still holy. There is NOTHING that says the seventh day has been changed or is not still holy. Many people find it easy to say they love God but hard to love what he said. and did.

lostwanderingsoul

While in Genesis 2:1-3, the sabbath is blessed and made holy, there is no commandment regarding it. Only later is there any law associated with it, when the law is given to the Jews (Ex 20) and then the text states that the practice of the Sabbath is a specific activity for the children of Israel (Ex 31).
Can you explain why Jesus would tell people to keep the commandments if they were only for Jews?

TrueBeliever37

I am not saying anything about sacrifices. YOU said that Jesus commandment was love. And God made the universe in six days and rested on the seventh. God made the seventh day HOLY. If you really love God you would remember everything he made holy. God says in the Bible, "I never change". If God made something holy thousands of years ago, then it is still holy. There is NOTHING that says the seventh day has been changed or is not still holy. Many people find it easy to say they love God but hard to love what he said. and did.

Under the new covenant things are different. For instance under the old, the passover involved the sacrifice of a literal lamb. Under the new , the lamb of God was the Messiah. He is our passover lamb. Pray about it and ask God for understanding.

The law was a shadow of what would be in the new covenant. The same thing applies to the Sabbath.

I am asking you - are YOU keeping all the laws required by God in the Old Covenant? If not, why are you trying to pick and choose certain ones that others should keep?
I gave you the scripture that says not to let anyone judge you in respect of the Sabbath days. Which are a shadow of things to come. Colossians 2:16-17 You seem to just ignore it.

rosends

Can you explain why Jesus would tell people to keep the commandments if they were only for Jews?
2 answers. Maybe three. I'm not sure yet.

1. Jesus was a Jew talking to Jews. I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense.
2. Jesus was a universalist who was discounting his Jewish knowledge
3. The gospels were inventions, projecting the needs of the writers.

Yeah...three.

--------------
I have decided that I could probably think of a few more if pressed. But then I realized, why should I be thinking of ways to explain a document which is meaningless to me?

lostwanderingsoul

Under the new covenant things are different. For instance under the old, the passover involved the sacrifice of a literal lamb. Under the new , the lamb of God was the Messiah. He is our passover lamb. Pray about it and ask God for understanding.

The law was a shadow of what would be in the new covenant. The same thing applies to the Sabbath.

I am asking you - are YOU keeping all the laws required by God in the Old Covenant? If not, why are you trying to pick and choose certain ones that others should keep?
I gave you the scripture that says not to let anyone judge you in respect of the Sabbath days. Which are a shadow of things to come. Colossians 2:16-17 You seem to just ignore it.
I am saying there are ten commandments. Everyone agrees that we should not kill or steal or lie or cheat. And we should honor our parents and have no other Gods or worship idols. For some reason we should continue to follow nine of the ten. But that one about remembering God's special day? Oh, we can ignore that one. That one was a shadow. That one does not apply. I just wonder why that one is different from the other nine.

lostwanderingsoul

2 answers. Maybe three. I'm not sure yet.

1. Jesus was a Jew talking to Jews. I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense.
2. Jesus was a universalist who was discounting his Jewish knowledge
3. The gospels were inventions, projecting the needs of the writers.

Yeah...three.

--------------
I have decided that I could probably think of a few more if pressed. But then I realized, why should I be thinking of ways to explain a document which is meaningless to me?
So I will respectfully ask a question which you may or may not answer. You list your religion as Jewish. Do you feel that you should keep the ten commandments? And non Jewish people do not have to keep them?

lostwanderingsoul

yup

correct
Thank you. I certainly respect that. It seems to me that the Jewish people were ( and still are ) God's chosen people. After all, when they were captives in Egypt God said "Let my people go". MY PEOPLE. And God also said that He never changes. I believe that the purpose of Jesus was to make the same benefits that God offered to the Jews also available to non Jews. Non Jews can also be part of HIS PEOPLE. But they should also have the same requirements including the commandments. That's just my view and thanks for listening.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
And Jesus told his followers to "keep the commandments". And the sabbath was created long before the time of Moses. God worked six days and rested on the seventh. He blessed that day and made it holy for ALL people, not just Israel. Maybe the Passover was a sign of their deliverance from slavery.
This is true, but it is also true that no one before Israel was ever commanded to honor it in any sort of way.

rosends

Thank you. I certainly respect that. It seems to me that the Jewish people were ( and still are ) God's chosen people. After all, when they were captives in Egypt God said "Let my people go". MY PEOPLE. And God also said that He never changes. I believe that the purpose of Jesus was to make the same benefits that God offered to the Jews also available to non Jews. Non Jews can also be part of HIS PEOPLE. But they should also have the same requirements including the commandments. That's just my view and thanks for listening.
Understood. This, then, highlights the central difference between the two groups as it centers on jesus' clain to authority. If he had authority, then what he said is valid. If he didn't then what he said is invalid.

lostwanderingsoul

Understood. This, then, highlights the central difference between the two groups as it centers on jesus' clain to authority. If he had authority, then what he said is valid. If he didn't then what he said is invalid.
And I certainly agree. So how can it be proven if Jesus had authority or not? Perhaps we will never know in this lifetime. Hopefully in the next. Peace to you my friend.

Shaul

Premium Member
Hi Shaul. Shalom. The Bible is all we need to know to keep the Sabbath Day properly. It isn't difficult to keep the Sabbath.
The Torahs (note the plural) are all we need. Without the Oral Torah it isn’t possible to keep the Sabbath. As simple a thing as the definition of “what is work” requires the Oral Torah.

So tell us, as applicable to the Sabbath prohibitions and only using scripture, what is work?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No one before Israel was commanded not to kill or steal but it was still wrong.
Well the Torah was written for Israel. It is not a book for non-Jews, so it should not surprise us that there is not a whole lot in there that deals with non-Jews.

We do have the story of Cain and Abel that clearly shows murder is wrong for all of humanity.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why don't people want to keep the seventh day sabbath?

I don't know. Maybe because we have moved beyond Bronze Age religion and morality.

I do not believe that is the correct answer. Truth never gets old. I believe the answer is that Jesus decided to enhance the Sabbath beyond Jewish law.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Then Hebrews 3:12 is wrong. Many people have been deliberately burned at the stake by those with hearts full of belief, and many hearts without belief (for example Medecins sans Frontiers operates "irrespective of religion" and many of its members have no faith).

I believe the verse is correct but the rendering of it was not it should read this way: Heb 3:12 Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.