• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so few people keep the seventh day Sabbath?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
In my opinion, it is very clear that God rested on the SEVENTH day and He blessed that day. Now, it is certainly possible that over the thousands of years that have passed, the exact day has been lost. However you should observe whatever day you truly believe is the SEVENTH day
In your opinion. And “your opinion” matters to the rest of us in what significant way?

sojourner

So there's 2 new covenants? o_O Perhaps I should ask exactly what you are referring to that Yeshua said.
The Jeremiah Covenant is not what the Gospel writers are referring to as the “New Covenant.” Your post is intentionally obtuse.

Batya

Always Forward
The Jeremiah Covenant is not what the Gospel writers are referring to as the “New Covenant.” Your post is intentionally obtuse.
There is only one new covenant. And yes, it is referred to in Jeremiah 31. It has not yet been fully implemented, as at this point we do not yet all know YHWH, for example.
The new covenant that Yeshua spoke of was not different than the new covenant that was already promised, and if you think otherwise, please show me from the scriptures, as always.

sojourner

There is only one new covenant. And yes, it is referred to in Jeremiah 31. It has not yet been fully implemented, as at this point we do not yet all know YHWH, for example.
The new covenant that Yeshua spoke of was not different than the new covenant that was already promised, and if you think otherwise, please show me from the scriptures, as always.
Correct. The problem is in who thinks the covenant is what. For Jews, the covenant is different than for Christians, due to who the Messiah is. So, in essence, it’s two different covenants. The Gospelers believe the covenant to have come about through Jesus. As alluded to in Jeremiah, it’s a different covenant, for Jeremiah does not allude to Jesus — just ask any Jew. For Christians, it HAS been fully implemented.

Batya

Always Forward
Correct. The problem is in who thinks the covenant is what. For Jews, the covenant is different than for Christians, due to who the Messiah is. So, in essence, it’s two different covenants. The Gospelers believe the covenant to have come about through Jesus. As alluded to in Jeremiah, it’s a different covenant, for Jeremiah does not allude to Jesus — just ask any Jew. For Christians, it HAS been fully implemented.
The issue lies in people's views though, not in the covenant itself. It is still the same covenant, even though one says this and the other says that. The new covenant is alluded to all throughout the tanach, mentioned by name in Jeremiah, yes, but there is reference to it in many places. If some Christians think it is fully implemented, I wouldn't agree, but they can have their opinion.

PruePhillip

Hi & good evening PruePhillip. Isaiah 42:21 says "It pleased Yahweh, for his righteousness’ sake, to magnify the law, and make it honorable." Yahshua magnified the Law. He made it so it envelops every aspect of our lives. Yahshua was magnifying the law not to commit adultery, saying one can do so in heart also by lusting after a woman. This is also sin. He also magnified on the law of do not commit murder in Matthew 5:21-23 implying that character assasination or speaking evil of brother is similar to murder.

Yes, the law goes beyond the Ten Commandments.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Hi Shadow Wolf. That was my mistake. But I don't feel a good heart chooses which days they should keep as the Sabbath Day when Yahweh has already decided.
My mistake, but I still feel she doesn't have a good heart.:rolleyes:
Her heart is so good I have a hard time criticizing her religion around her out of respect because she has such a wonderful heart, and her religion is important to her. I have some serious grievances against the Mormon Church, and Kat's heart is filled with so much good it makes me very aware amd self conscious when I attack that religion she holds dear and treasures.
That is someone you are calling evil. Someone who has endured much for being Mormon, and yet she gives love and tolerance in return.

lostwanderingsoul

In your opinion. And “your opinion” matters to the rest of us in what significant way?
The same way your opinion matters to anyone. some people read clear words and see what they mean while other people read the same words and make up some opinion that is completly different from what the words say. For example when it says Jesus was in the tomb for three days and three nights, it is very clearly 72 hours. But some people get a false idea about Friday to Sunday so they make up an opinion that it was just parts of three days and three nights. Nothing in the Bible says Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday.

sojourner

The same way your opinion matters to anyone. some people read clear words and see what they mean while other people read the same words and make up some opinion that is completly different from what the words say. For example when it says Jesus was in the tomb for three days and three nights, it is very clearly 72 hours. But some people get a false idea about Friday to Sunday so they make up an opinion that it was just parts of three days and three nights. Nothing in the Bible says Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday.
And that’s your opinion.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Hi Mestemia. As I have said, the seventh day is recognized by Chr-stians and Jews to be Saturday. The Hebrew doesn't designate names to days, but the days are recognized through numbers. Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 etc. We know that the Bible designates the 7th day as the Sabbath. The Jews have been faithful in keeping the seventh day Sabbath for Millenia. Now unless you want to say that the Jews got it wrong, there is a seventh day Sabbath and it begins Friday evening.
Ah.
So there is no scripture to support your claim that the Sabbath is Friday night sundown to Saturday night sundown?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Mark 7:8 You have let go the commandments of God and are holding on to the traditions of man.

Unless those traditions were set by God. How would one know if they weren't from god if those traditions, hence being in the bible, were meant to worship him?

What makes the days of the week traditions of men when it was good who set those traditions to be? (Unless not everything in the Bible is inspired by God or only a few things but not others?)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hi Ken. Good evening. Perhaps we will have to agree to disagree but as I explained to another, Colossians 2:16-18 does not teach that we shouldn't be keeping the holy days. It says:
"16 Let no man judge you therefore in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day, or a new moon, or a sabbath: 17 which are a shadow of things to come; but the body of the Messiah."

It's saying that we shouldn't let *man* judge us, especially those outside the assembly (or the Body of the Messiah) regarding keeping these holy days. Only Yahweh and Yahshua should be able to judge us through His Word and Yahshua was emphatic that he didn't come to do away with the law in Matthew 5:17.

The very fact that Paul says these are a shadow of things to come shows that their full potential as laws will be recognized when the Kingdom comes, not that the laws will ever be done away with.
It may be a place where we agree to disagree.

I remember Romans 14 that talks about one person thinking one day is holy and another all days. As long as it was as unto the Lord it was accepted.

The Amplified says it this way. "16 Therefore let no one sit in judgment on you in matters of food and drink, or with regard to a feast day or a New Moon or a Sabbath.17 Such [things] are only the shadow of things that are to come, and they have only a symbolic value. But the reality (the substance, the solid fact of what is foreshadowed, the body of it) belongs to Christ."

To me that infers that you don't "judge" because it is no longer a requirement since Christ already embodied it.

Phillips says " In view of these tremendous facts, don’t let anyone worry you by criticising what you eat or drink, or what holy days you ought to observe, or bothering you over new moons or sabbaths. All these things have at most only a symbolical value: the solid fact is Christ."

I think that in view that some people do criticize whether or not you should observe the Sabbath, support my position.

However, for someone who does observe, I support their right and position to do so. They are still my brothers and sisters in Christ and they do it as unto the Lord.

lostwanderingsoul

Unless those traditions were set by God. How would one know if they weren't from god if those traditions, hence being in the bible, were meant to worship him?

What makes the days of the week traditions of men when it was good who set those traditions to be? (Unless not everything in the Bible is inspired by God or only a few things but not others?)
I would love to hear some of these traditions that God set.