• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so few people keep the seventh day Sabbath?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I would like to believe that most people consider the 10 commandments to be a foundation to which they can base their faith, but I wonder why, if the 10 commandments are so widely known, why so few people keep the Sabbath Day. This fourth commandment stands out amongst the rest because it probably has the most text associated with it. In the 10 commandments, Yahweh has said that such a day is a reminder that Yahweh created all things in this world, including things outside this world, within 6 literal days and rested on the 7th. I wonder if more people kept the Sabbath Day whether there would be less faithlessness as keeping the Sabbath in a sanctified way is a witness that you are accepting that Yahweh created and rejects the theory of evolution. Why even those who keep a Sabbath Day in Chr-stianity have come up with the idea of a “Chr-stian Sabbath” being Sunday, even though this is never found in the Bible.

Sabbath kept correctly is from Friday night sundown to Saturday night sundown (Leviticus 23:32 and Mark 1:32). We cannot buy and sell on the Sabbath Day (Jeremiah 17:19-27 & Nehemiah 13:15-22). Also we are not do our own pleasure on the Sabbath (Isaiah 58:12-13) such as playing sports or watching television.

The Sabbath Day when observed correctly is indeed the best day of the week. It allows us to reflect and study the Word, sing spiritual songs and meditate on the direction of our lives. The Sabbath should ensue a holy convocation (Leviticus 23:3) and allow us to recuperate and rest each week.

The science would support that a day of rest is very beneficial. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports in a CDC publication that stress levels at work at higher than ever and that "health care expenditures are nearly 50% greater for workers who report high levels of stress."

A did a quick search online and the first site that came up with scientific reasons supporting a weekly resting day was Inc.com which lists the following scientific reasons that support a day of rest:

1. Time out reduces stress.

2. Getting away from work boosts your immune system.

3. Speaking of sleep, you'll do it better during time out of work.

4. Taking regular time away from work restores mental energy.

5. When you take out time for yourself, you're more creative.

6. You're also more productive when you take time out from work.

7. You'll focus better at work if you take your weekly rejuvenation time.

8. Your day off improve short-term memory.

Listening to all these reasons I’m reminded of Deuteronomy 6:24, that the commandments are for our good always, that he might preserve us alive.

Do you really think Yahweh would abandon the Sabbath Day when it has so many benefits for the human body and mind? I’ve just kept another Sabbath Day today – it ended this evening – and I can say having never taken a day off work for any physical illness that Yahweh’s Laws are good. Why don’t you try start keeping the Sabbath? In the Bible it is said to serve as a sign between Yahweh and His people and it still remains (Hebrew 4:9) in to our era and will be kept in the Kingdom.

Hello. I appreciate where you are coming from brother. My only contribution here is just to highlight a bit of Christian history:

Council of Laodicea (circa 364 AD):

'Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday (Sabbath), but shall work on that Day: but the Lord’s Day, they shall especially honour; and as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ.'

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hi Shadow Wolf. Good evening. Hebrews 4:9 clearly shows that the Sabbath Day remains. In the Kingdom, the Bible tells us the Sabbath will be kept in Isaiah 66. Doesn't sound like it's just for Jews to me.
I don't think Hebrews 4:9 is talking about the Sabbath as in the 7th day.

The verse before says: "3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world." which isn't talking about the Sabbath.

Then again... In Col 2:26 (Phillips translation which expresses it well)
PHILLIPS
In view of these tremendous facts, don’t let anyone worry you by criticising what you eat or drink, or what holy days you ought to observe, or bothering you over new moons or sabbaths. All these things have at most only a symbolical value: the solid fact is Christ.

When we accept Jesus we rest every day. Christ causes us to enter into rest. Some choose Sunday, some choose a Friday to Saturday... the doctor who works on Sunday chooses a different day. :)

I would like to believe that most people consider the 10 commandments to be a foundation to which they can base their faith, but I wonder why, if the 10 commandments are so widely known, why so few people keep the Sabbath Day. This fourth commandment stands out amongst the rest because it probably has the most text associated with it. In the 10 commandments, Yahweh has said that such a day is a reminder that Yahweh created all things in this world, including things outside this world, within 6 literal days and rested on the 7th. I wonder if more people kept the Sabbath Day whether there would be less faithlessness as keeping the Sabbath in a sanctified way is a witness that you are accepting that Yahweh created and rejects the theory of evolution. Why even those who keep a Sabbath Day in Chr-stianity have come up with the idea of a “Chr-stian Sabbath” being Sunday, even though this is never found in the Bible.

Sabbath kept correctly is from Friday night sundown to Saturday night sundown (Leviticus 23:32 and Mark 1:32). We cannot buy and sell on the Sabbath Day (Jeremiah 17:19-27 & Nehemiah 13:15-22). Also we are not do our own pleasure on the Sabbath (Isaiah 58:12-13) such as playing sports or watching television.

The Sabbath Day when observed correctly is indeed the best day of the week. It allows us to reflect and study the Word, sing spiritual songs and meditate on the direction of our lives. The Sabbath should ensue a holy convocation (Leviticus 23:3) and allow us to recuperate and rest each week.

The science would support that a day of rest is very beneficial. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reports in a CDC publication that stress levels at work at higher than ever and that "health care expenditures are nearly 50% greater for workers who report high levels of stress."

A did a quick search online and the first site that came up with scientific reasons supporting a weekly resting day was Inc.com which lists the following scientific reasons that support a day of rest:

Listening to all these reasons I’m reminded of Deuteronomy 6:24, that the commandments are for our good always, that he might preserve us alive.

Do you really think Yahweh would abandon the Sabbath Day when it has so many benefits for the human body and mind? I’ve just kept another Sabbath Day today – it ended this evening – and I can say having never taken a day off work for any physical illness that Yahweh’s Laws are good. Why don’t you try start keeping the Sabbath? In the Bible it is said to serve as a sign between Yahweh and His people and it still remains (Hebrew 4:9) in to our era and will be kept in the Kingdom.
My opinion is that the observance of the Sabbath Day is a covenant and not a statement of which day it is, even though we do know God rested on the seventh day, we also know that God resurrected on the first day.
It does not matter to me what day a person or group of persons celebrate the sabbath, I am only happy to hear that they have a sabbath and I am even happier when I hear that they believe in Jesus Christ, but if they don't do either I do not hold that or anything else against them.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Which day is the Sabbath? I’ve heard all my life that it is actually Saturday. But that could just be pop culture playing tricks.
7th day of the week, which in the Jewish (the religion that began the concept) week, is saturday.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
You will need to explain this for those of us who have no idea what you mean.
With the backdrop that it is VERY healthy to take a day off...

If we go back to Adam and Eve, when fellowship with God was daily and intimate in the fullest sense, there wasn't a "one day" of a Sabbath. Every day, with God, is a Sabbath - a rest in God and with God.

Using some scriptures, I'm sure there are more:

Hebrews 4 :9-10 i, "So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his."

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

The Sabbath during the Mosaic law (for Christians) was simply a shadow that the coming of the person of Jesus Christ was casting. As the Lord of the Sabbath, we have entered into a complete communion with God as was with Adam and Eve. We rest from the efforts of keeping connected with God with the sacrifices through the shedding of blood, one day to spend with Him et al. Accepting Jesus, who is Lord of the Sabbath, we enter into a rest that is continual and without ceasing. We don't have to "try" to connect with God, we now boldly enter the Throne-room of Grace.

Thus, as Paul explained in Romans 14:6 VOICE If someone observes a day as holy, he observes it in honor of the Lord. If another eats a particular diet, he eats in honor of the Lord since he begins by giving thanks! If yet another abstains from that same food, he abstains out of respect for the Lord and begins his meal by thanking God too.

So... if you want Friday evening to Saturday evening to be your day of worship and you do it as unto God... then God says, "That's great!" If you want Sunday to be that special day, then God says "That's great!". If you are a doctor that worked the weekend shift and you want to make Monday a day for the Lord then "wonderful!" If every day you worship and dedicate it to God, then "amazing!"

Every day you are living with God and through God.

Hope that was clear... let me know.

rosends

Sabbath kept correctly is from Friday night sundown to Saturday night sundown (Leviticus 23:32 and Mark 1:32).
Your quote from Leviticus is from a section speaking about a holiday on the 10th day of the 7th month and nothing else. The Mark quote doesn't say anything about the sabbath's ending at any point -- just that he continued what he did earlier.

How do you conclude that the weekly sabbath is on Saturday, or that it starts at sundown or ends at sundown? Do you use this logic to apply to any other holidays that you observe (that they start at sundown)?

as a side note, Matthew 28:1 seems to indicate that the sabbath ends right before dawn: "After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week"

Shaul

Premium Member
There is a simple pragmatic reason most people can’t keep the Sabbath as described in the Written Torah. It requires additional instruction from the Oral Torah in order to do that. The Oral Torah in not available to the non-Jew. In order to have access to it it is necessary to accept its authority. That is something Christians can’t do without undermining the authority of Christian sources including their New Testament, for example.

PruePhillip

From a Christian perspective the Ten Commandments are not the standard.
In fact, in the Sermon on the Mount Jesus raised the bar of what was to be
expected of those serving G-d.