• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do so-called smart homes become so popular?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would not want it in my home, nor do i want robots in to my home.
Yf7Ot-VsZzKx.gif

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@Amanaki

I love the So-Called in the title.

It is a phrase that instantly says. I don't like this, despite the fact they are called "smart homes" for a good reason.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Personally i do not need faster internet or computers, and i do not have a car yet :)

How fast is your internet? 14kps, 28kps, or wow, 56kps?

I remember having 28kps. At busy periods that speed droped to 3 bites per second. Speedy eh?

I how have vdsl at around 70 to 72 mps (at the router). At busy times the speed drops, the lowest its been is 64mps.

Trust me modern internet technology is far superior.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. People want the fantasy movies to become reality. But they forget how to think for them selfs when computers do everything. We become dumber in daily tasks. How many people can light a fire without lighter or matches today?
How many people need to? If your hobby is to go camping, but all means, take a quick course on how to start a fire. They have that on Google for free in a matter of seconds.

I live in Australia and we often have outright fire bans due to safety regarding bush fires. So why would I go around starting fires?

Technology is all about how you approach it. You can complain about laziness. Or you can use technology to learn all manner of things.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. People want the fantasy movies to become reality. But they forget how to think for them selfs when computers do everything. We become dumber in daily tasks. How many people can light a fire without lighter or matches today?
I don't quite buy the idea that computers have made our lives easier.
Some tasks have been made easier, but they've also introduced new
ones, eg, protecting our identity, updating RF.
As for our losing basic skills like building a fire, those were lost long
before computers. Very few of us can run engines which burn wood
or coal...but how many need to? Do you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't quite buy the idea that computers have made our lives easier.
Some tasks have been made easier, but they've also introduced new
ones, eg, protecting our identity, updating RF.
As for our losing basic skills like building a fire, those were lost long
before computers. Very few of us can run engines which burn wood
or coal...but how many need to? Do you?
I do us my skills in the nature every year. And if the world do get a power out for a long time i know how to survive.

We Never Know

No Slack
I read in a newspaper today about smart homes, and I was thinking, why do we always want to make things easier? do we really want to become people of laziness? do we really need all this technology?
Personally I would say no, we do not need it, but the business who make it, know how to fool people to think they need it.

What are your thoughts?

There is a lot we don't need but it is available and affordable so people get it. I agree in a sense that it makes people lazy.
I don't need a rumba to sweep my floor but it's out there and many have them.
I don't need to call my truck to start it up and set the temp but it came with that option.
The sad part is people are becoming dependant on things they don't need.
If today the world fell back 100 years today, over half the population would die because they don't know how to live without technology.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I will be interested when I can send a robot of myself to work and I stay home and collect the check.
Smart homes to me just means more things to go wrong or break and expensive technicians to fix or replace the problems.
You got that fantasy too.

*Grin*

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think high tec gizmo stuff is a total nightmare. I'll stick with old technology. :D

Me too. I'll decide when to shift my car's transmission, thank you very much.

A few years back, a friend of mine got a great! deal on a big luxury car. It was a Chrysler Concorde with all kinds of high tech features. It took a month or so to realize why it was so cheap. It had so many electronic problems it was like the car was haunted by a poltergeist. And you couldn't just fix them, they had to be tracked down. The worst was the fancy heater/AC system. You couldn't just turn it on or off, all you could do was set a temperature for each side of the car. But the car apparently didn't care what it was set for, it just did whatever it wanted. It might blast hot in August or AC in January. The only way the repair guys could fix it was to remove and replace the 6 temperature sensors, one at a time, for $300 each, until they replaced the malfunctioning sensors.
Assuming the problem was a sensor, which they were pretty sure it was. If she paid for all new sensors, and it still didn't work right, then she had a more expensive problem with the central computer.:eek:

Tom

ETA ~I can't imagine wanting my house to be like that.~

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Me too. I'll decide when to shift my car's transmission, thank you very much.

A few years back, a friend of mine got a great! deal on a big luxury car. It was a Chrysler Concorde with all kinds of high tech features. It took a month or so to realize why it was so cheap. It had so many electronic problems it was like the car was haunted by a poltergeist. And you couldn't just fix them, they had to be tracked down. The worst was the fancy heater/AC system. You couldn't just turn it on or off, all you could do was set a temperature for each side of the car. But the car apparently didn't care what it was set for, it just did whatever it wanted. It might blast hot in August or AC in January. The only way the repair guys could fix it was to remove and replace the 6 temperature sensors, one at a time, for $300 each, until they replaced the malfunctioning sensors.
Assuming the problem was a sensor, which they were pretty sure it was. If she paid for all new sensors, and it still didn't work right, then she had a more expensive problem with the central computer.:eek:

Tom

ETA ~I can't imagine wanting my house to be like that.~
What a nightmare!
I love simple secure reliability, but because my wife has an injured left knee she cannot drive a stick-shift, and so we have automatic vehicles. I inherited her high tech car when she got an ATV and the heater is a push button clever-d-ck app. The bloody thing is dreadful and I am probably now the only person on the world who can turn it on to heat the windscreen in freezing weather. I have to follow a ridiculous combination of settings, all learned by accident, or else the car would become undriveable in a snowstorm or icy conditions.
I will drive it to the end and then take it to the crusher. :p