• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do silly, gulliable people believe everything the Media says?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Honestly, I think it's because the media paints itself as an authority figure for current events.... and most people forget about Freedom of the Press means that they can talk about anything they want in the manner they want.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I guess the same reason silly, gullible people believe everything the pope, Jesus, the bible, the Quran, Mohammed, their psychic, their astrologer, or their mommy says.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
A lot of people don't like to think for themselves. It is easier for them to assign themselves a political party, religion, etc. to tell them what they think. The diferent media outlets have a channel to communicate to each demographic and tell them what their opinion is on current events.

Smoke

Done here.
Honestly, I can't think of anybody I know, conservative, liberal, or otherwise, who believes everything he sees on the news.

What I'd like to see is more people bringing that same skepticism to mass emails and Facebook groups.

(Edit: Okay, I know a few Glenn Beck fans who believe everything he says, but that's not even pretending to be news, is it?)

xkatz

Because people are so busy with other things that they don't always look at the big picture.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not sure why. I have seen some rational and intelligent people believe some of the most absurd things. But maybe I shouldn't say that, since there are some who think that my beliefs are absurd.
I have found that people generally believe what they want to believe.

Jeremiah

Why do people always talk about people as if they are not part of those people?

People are always saying things like, "People are dumb" or "People are lazy", but it is never about the people engaged in the conversation, it's always the abstract "people".

For instance, when someone says, "People are mindless", the people with in close proximity will all nod their heads agreeing that people are indeed mindless. However, if I went around asking all those head nodders if they, themselves, are mindless, I doubt many would affirm it as so. On the other hand, if went around and asked them if people are mindless, I bet most everyone would agree.

It seems that people do not think about people the same way they think about people. That there is the people that are the faceless, abstract people, that people like to say are dumb, lazy or such, then there are the people that all nod in agreement.

footprints

In general, most people don't. What people will normally do, is believe what their personal beliefs tells them is true, reject everything which goes against their personal belief patterns, and pick and choose with the rest. It is no different to the deity debate, it doesn't change just because the subject does.

We are all silly and gulliable to a certain respect. All media outlets, have a huge research team, who continually monitor human reaction, most news is projected to catch the way the majority of people think, they sell more, get more audience that way. However, printing something against popularity also gets attention, though the media cannot do this too often, for people will start looking elsewhere for their news.

Last edited: