• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Satanists use upside down crosses?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A perfectly valid reason to use the cross, but practicing voodoo as well as Satanism must have some very... interesting effects to say the least, at least according to my understanding of Voodoo.
Well, Voodoo was brought about by diaspora Africans who combined African Vodun with mostly Catholicism, so to practice the two must must be quite interesting indeed.

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Interestingly enough I was just talking to a Houngan a few nights ago and after the Fete he told the story about this funny Lwa he had run across in Haiti at some point years ago called Lwa Lucifer. Only one man could make the pwen but even evangelical christian preachers and others who publicly rejected or denounced Vodou got it because of its renouned effectiveness. It was supposed to be like having a bulldog in your corner.

Last edited:

atropine

Somewhere Out There
I practice Vodou, not Voodoo, which is the New Orleans variety. :) Not trying to nitpick, but there is a difference. So far, all has been well! Vodou is very inclusive, and it's pretty easy to mold my views of Satanism around my belief in Vodou. It works quite nicely, for me anyhow. Which isn't to say there's no "what the...?" moments, but they're few, far between and usually my own fault for not being specific enough.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Considering there are rituals, a code of conduct, and philosophies within Satanism, it is short-sighted to simply dismiss it as a reaction. Granted had it not been for societies god then there could not have been a Satanism, but it's probably some form of it would have still existed given that Satanism itself is far from unique, much in how Christianity is far from unique and in the same sense a reaction to earlier Pagan religions.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Considering there are rituals, a code of conduct, and philosophies within Satanism, it is short-sighted to simply dismiss it as a reaction. Granted had it not been for societies god then there could not have been a Satanism, but it's probably some form of it would have still existed given that Satanism itself is far from unique, much in how Christianity is far from unique and in the same sense a reaction to earlier Pagan religions.
Perhaps I should have revised it to "Satanists that use upside-down crosses are doing it as a reaction to Christianity". I was definitely being short-sighted.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I practice Vodou, not Voodoo, which is the New Orleans variety.
Voodoo is the umbrella term, which does include New Orleans, but others as well such as Haitian. But they still mostly revolve around the same Vodun, Catholic and often Freemasonry being merged.
To combine views that are built partially around the notion of Jesus being the Son of God and King of Kings, with views that hold Jesus as the True Prince of Lies and the King of Slaves is very interesting.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Perhaps I should have revised it to "Satanists that use upside-down crosses are doing it as a reaction to Christianity".
That would be a reaction, a rather peculiar one at that but then I guess if the Christians stole the cross then why can't Satanist steal St. Peter's cross?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
That would be a reaction, a rather peculiar one at that but then I guess if the Christians stole the cross then why can't Satanist steal St. Peter's cross?

I simply find that the only reason use any sort of iconography is to authenticate the lineage of your philosophy. You can't do as such by simply negating nor defaming someone else's symbols. Thus, I don't seem much of a point to borrowing one either as it is so much easier to come up with your own. :)

Personally, my aversion is more that the symbols are all rather generic and cross-pollinated with conflicting ideas. The pagans think the cross is representative of the four elements, the Christians thought it was a symbol of Jesus' suffering, and the Egyptians thought it meant life and fertility although in a slightly different form. Even the alchemy symbol for 'sulfur' or brimstone is merely a patriarchal cross with an infinity symbol appended to it's bottom. Such is the silliness... Satanic symbols with Christian origin -- fancy that!

Patriarchal cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, other than attempting to cloister a gaggle of mindless sheep to do your bidding these fabrications have no use! :seesaw:

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Personally, my aversion is more that they symbols are all rather generic and cross-pollinated with conflicting ideas. The pagans think the cross is representative of the four elements, the Christians thought it was a symbol of Jesus' suffering, and the Egyptians thought it meant life and fertility although in a slightly different form. Even the alchemy symbol for 'sulfur' or brimstone is merely a patriarchal cross with an infinity symbol appended to it's bottom. Such is the silliness... Satanic symbols with Christian origin -- fancy that!
It is estimated that up 90% of any culture is borrowed from another. In this perspective, hardly anything is unique and is free of having borrowed from a previous idea.
But symbols, be they words, gestures, icons, or what ever else, are only as relevant as a culture allows them to be. In our culture, an inverted cross is often interpreted as Satanic, which is what happens when in that culture both those who are inverting the cross and those who are interpreting it as Satanic are oblivious to it's symbolism of deep religious devotion and dedication to Christianity.
Such as the Swastika which since recent times has been synonymous with extreme hatred and bigotry, despite it's origins of antiquity.

atropine

Somewhere Out There
Voodoo is the umbrella term, which does include New Orleans, but others as well such as Haitian. But they still mostly revolve around the same Vodun, Catholic and often Freemasonry being merged.
To combine views that are built partially around the notion of Jesus being the Son of God and King of Kings, with views that hold Jesus as the True Prince of Lies and the King of Slaves is very interesting.

Mm, I'm an advocate for keeping terms separate in order to help keep a leash on misunderstandings of what the different versions are about, but it's not really that important of a detail.

Yes, it is interesting. Personally, I see the Catholic imagery as a useful tool, and it has been quite effective in helping me get along well with others. I don't see Jesus as anyone but a potential historical figure, so it doesn't clash terribly much. :)

EDIT;;

I feel sad for the poor people who use the swastika as it was used before the Nazis got a hold of it. It must be tough to like and identify with a symbol that has such negative connotations.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

Interestingly enough I was just talking to a Houngan a few nights ago and after the Fete he told the story about this funny Lwa he had run across in Haiti at some point years ago called Lwa Lucifer. Only one man could make the pwen but even evangelical christian preachers and others who publicly rejected or denounced Vodou got it because of its renouned effectiveness. It was supposed to be like having a bulldog in your corner.

That all totally went over my head.

Perhaps I should have revised it to "Satanists that use upside-down crosses are doing it as a reaction to Christianity". I was definitely being short-sighted.

In that case, yes.

Erm, Freemasonry doesn't have any one religion, I don't understand how Jesus could be The Prince of Lies in this regard. Freemasons can be Islamic, Jewish, Christian, or any kind of Theism. In fact, talking about religion and politics in a Masonic Lodge isn't allowed, so that no one has to defend their type of belief behind a "greater power", which is required to join.

Wikipedia told me and the article looked good so it must be true:

Freemasonry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I simply find that the only reason use any sort of iconography is to authenticate the lineage of your philosophy. You can't do as such by simply negating nor defaming someone else's symbols. Thus, I don't seem much of a point to borrowing one either as it is so much easier to come up with your own. :)

Personally, my aversion is more that the symbols are all rather generic and cross-pollinated with conflicting ideas. The pagans think the cross is representative of the four elements, the Christians thought it was a symbol of Jesus' suffering, and the Egyptians thought it meant life and fertility although in a slightly different form. Even the alchemy symbol for 'sulfur' or brimstone is merely a patriarchal cross with an infinity symbol appended to it's bottom. Such is the silliness... Satanic symbols with Christian origin -- fancy that!

Patriarchal cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, other than attempting to cloister a gaggle of mindless sheep to do your bidding these fabrications have no use! :seesaw:
Isn't it a gaggle for geese and a flock for sheep?

But yes, manipulation through symbols can be very useful.