• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Proselytizers misinterpret religions?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I have taken note of how sites like CARM get many religions wrong and claim to offer their viewers beneficial knowledge on how to convert people of different faiths. But sites like this often get their information about the religion at hand entirely wrong.
This has happened to me on forums and in real life where people have an entirely warped point of view about a faith or lack there of and cannot debate any further since the basic tenets are misconstrued.

I have seen Christian proselytization propaganda say that Sanatana Dharma derives its name from Satan & Demon. Unknown to the Hindu origins of this it actually derives the name from Eternal Path.

I have even seen Muslims mix Catholicism and regular Christian denominations together as well by saying Christians worship the Pope and somehow mixed Baptists into the conception.

Do sites like this give off wrong information out of ignorance in hopes the individual will find it useful or do they do this knowing it is wrong and truly serve the purpose of making religious adherents view other faiths negatively increasing their own?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
There are two major contributors that occur to me off the top of my head: willful ignorance and inherent predisposition; now I wont talk much about the former but focus on the later for the rest of this post.

Generally speaking, this sort of mindset is encouraged in most religious traditions (in order to influence non-practitioners primarily) and is frequently identified within religious texts or teachings to be a duty of believers. It is quite possible (I have not seen any studies on the matter) that those individuals who are disposed to proselytize are individuals who have particularly strongly held beliefs and opinions about that religious/spiritual tradition. One of the reasons they might find themselves so strongly drawn to speaking about said tradition is that to their understanding it is not merely non-practitioners who are not believing/acting 'correctly' (their way) but that fellow practitioners also need to be educated as to the 'correct' way to believe/act. Therefore, those most inclined to speak more often and more loudly may well be those who have the most divergent opinions or interpretations of their texts and teachings of their religious tradition.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste,
One question: How would teaching the truth about other religons help a proselytizer's cause?

So, lying should do the trick, eh? So, telling the truth (that Sanātana Dharma [aka: Hinduism] does not stand for Satan & Demon) is wrong, eh? Or, are you asking a hypothetical?

"How is it supposed to help a proselytizer's cause?" Haha. Such a statement in itself shows that proselytizers resort to concocted means to acquire "souls" or "believers".

Proselytization, at least in the USA, is probably on its way to being banned or outlawed. To bring a non-believer into one's religious fold through lying, bigotry, misconstrued statements that the proselytizers promote as "facts" only hurt the cause in the end. It creates a dictation of an "us versus them" mindset. Is this really something the founders of any religion would have desired? To spread one's faith through negative methods? If so, I lament my existence.

Regards,
M.V.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
One question: How would teaching the truth about other religons help a proselytizer's cause?

Well the issue is which cause? Is it to make the believer of the religion feel more secure about his own faith or is it a poor attempt of converting others?

I have noticed that it is quite consistent for most teachers and propaganda given

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Well the issue is which cause? Is it to make the believer of the religion feel more secure about his own faith or is it a poor attempt of converting others?

I have noticed that it is quite consistent for most teachers and propaganda given

Namaste, Sterling Archer-ji:

Do you get the feeling that when Christians and Muslims proselytize, they make it their responsibility to use propaganda and ill-founded claims from incorrect research to gain converts? It seems as if it is a number game. Yet, I don't know if they understand that quality is better than quantity...

Regards,
M.V.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

I think there is an element of thinking once they have got them in the door, its hard to leave; so even if some of the things they say arent exactly correct, if they get them in the door the 'battle' is almost won... when you consider it that way, fudging a few things doesn't seem such a big deal, especially since you are doing it to 'save them'.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
especially since you are doing it to 'save them'.

Namaste, InformedIgnorance-ji:

But, doesn't that mindset of them thinking that they need to "save us" show how warped their approach is?

Did all the humans on Earth give them a consensus on whether they are the full authority on what is right or not?

Where do they get their 'authority' from? And, if it is the Bible or the Quran, why can't they seem to grasp the fact that not everyone on the planet is a Muslim or a Christian; that not everyone wants to be "saved"; that not everyone believes in their exclusivity and that not everyone agrees to what they purport (or propagandize).

If I said that Christians and Muslims need to be "saved", can you imagine what the uproar would be? I would probably be hunted down like Salman Rushdie (and it is a "miracle" that he is still alive by the way)...

Regards,
M.V.

Last edited:

InformedIgnorance

I completely agree MV, but I was speaking from what I understood their perspective might be, they honestly believe we need 'saving', it is an amazing point of arrogance but one that many proselytizers cannot perceive.

It is understandable though; they believe very strongly that they understand the truth, which states that all other religious or spiritual traditions are not just wrong but inherently corrupting in some manner and adherents will be punished, if they DO strongly believe this to be the case, then it would make sense that they see it as 'saving' people and in some ways it could be argued that failing to try to 'save' us against our will is a horrible thing to do when they believe that we will be punished.

In many ways their attitude towards 'saving' non believers shows that they believe their god rather unpleasant in many respects. It is just disheartening that they do not see some of the contradictions in assuming that this is true, when they describe their god as being compassionate or loving.

Last edited:

Kalidas

well I do want to say this much at least. It's not ALWAYS Christians an Muslims. Yes those may be the more common religions that use such tactics but to target them specifically is really no better then what they do to us. Also it is good to remember that not all Christians an Muslims are these kind of people.

Now to the heart of the matter. I on't understand the idea of forcing conversion on people via lies and deceit. If your Religion is the ONLY truth then lies are unnecessary, you should simply be able to explain what you believe in all should just instantly understand, lying and deceit implies you are incorrect and need to appear right by lying. Also if your God is so powerful and your truth to be the only truth why are YOU even necessary? Is your God to weak to do the job correctly? Your message so flawed you must explain it? Your religion so wrong that have to bring people to it for it can't do it by it self? I just don't think god is that weak. When I converted to Hinduism I merely asked a friend of mine that was a Hindu questions, and he just answered. I came to HIM, he just answered the questions and the answers just made sense. This is not me saying Hinduism is the ONLY way because I mostly certainly do not believe that. But it is right for me. If you think God is to incompetent to show him/herself to all via different messages and beliefs that's fine. I choose to believe God is more powerful than that.

To me Polyesteryzing is proof you have no faith, because you decide to take it upon yourself to do God's work. To that I say shame on you.

Kalidas

मैत्रावरुिणः;3410586 said:
Namaste, lemaster13-ji:

While on vacation? Come on, dawg! Why aren't you partying? Go, the Gods command you to party!

Regards,
M.V.

LOL I just don't party much. I did when I was younger, I was quit the alcoholic when I was 16. Now I am 24 (as of 1.5 hours ago) and only party rarely. Plus I'm at my grandparents/parents house...not much partying going on. Plus I work two jobs and go to college, so having a week where I do NOTHING is nice lol.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
LOL I just don't party much. I did when I was younger, I was quit the alcoholic when I was 16. Now I am 24 (as of 1.5 hours ago) and only party rarely. Plus I'm at my grandparents/parents house...not much partying going on. Plus I work two jobs and go to college, so having a week where I do NOTHING is nice lol.

Namaste,

Happy belated birthday, brah. Also, that is pretty sweet: chilling at your grandparents' crib. I wish I could do that. But, they live in India, and are psychotically stringent.

Two jobs and college? Dang, son. You da' man! What field are you majoring in, my dude? And, having a week where you do nothing is pretty awesome. But, I have a whole summer where I do nothing....which is boring. To be constantly working and then get even a day off teaches someone to respect relaxation as well as admire working. I need to get on that level, yo.

Regards,
M.V.

Kalidas

मैत्रावरुिणः;3410594 said:
Namaste,

Happy belated birthday, brah. Also, that is pretty sweet: chilling at your grandparents' crib. I wish I could do that. But, they live in India, and are psychotically stringent.

Two jobs and college? Dang, son. You da' man! What field are you majoring in, my dude? And, having a week where you do nothing is pretty awesome. But, I have a whole summer where I do nothing....which is boring. To be constantly working and then get even a day off teaches someone to respect relaxation as well as admire working. I need to get on that level, yo.

Regards,
M.V.
Child Development I want to be a special education teacher.

Galen.Iksnudnard

It's largely a pattern of deception and dishonesty, combined with insecurity.

After all if you are afraid that someone else's faith is more suitable, and you're out to undermine it at all costs, why not tell a few lies here and there just to confuse the impressionable?

rusra02

Premium Member
well I do want to say this much at least. It's not ALWAYS Christians an Muslims. Yes those may be the more common religions that use such tactics but to target them specifically is really no better then what they do to us. Also it is good to remember that not all Christians an Muslims are these kind of people.

Now to the heart of the matter. I on't understand the idea of forcing conversion on people via lies and deceit. If your Religion is the ONLY truth then lies are unnecessary, you should simply be able to explain what you believe in all should just instantly understand, lying and deceit implies you are incorrect and need to appear right by lying. Also if your God is so powerful and your truth to be the only truth why are YOU even necessary? Is your God to weak to do the job correctly? Your message so flawed you must explain it? Your religion so wrong that have to bring people to it for it can't do it by it self? I just don't think god is that weak. When I converted to Hinduism I merely asked a friend of mine that was a Hindu questions, and he just answered. I came to HIM, he just answered the questions and the answers just made sense. This is not me saying Hinduism is the ONLY way because I mostly certainly do not believe that. But it is right for me. If you think God is to incompetent to show him/herself to all via different messages and beliefs that's fine. I choose to believe God is more powerful than that.

To me Polyesteryzing is proof you have no faith, because you decide to take it upon yourself to do God's work. To that I say shame on you.

I appreciate your comments and fully agree that if your religion is the truth, there is no need to tell lies about other faiths to gain adherents to yours. It seems to me that if you believe your faith is the only true religion, concern for others would move you to want to share the good things you enjoy by knowing the truth. If you know someone is eating food or drink that is poisonous and will kill them, would you not at least tell them and present evidence of the harm? Then, if they ignore the warning, that is their responsibility. The Bible commands Christians to share their faith with others. (1 Corinthians 9:16 and Romans 10:10, for example) They do not take it upon themselves to do God's work, but rather are invited to be fellow workers with God. (1 Corinthians 3:9) Love of neighbor and love of God motivates them to share "everlasting good news" with their fellowmen. (Revelation 14:6,7)

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I appreciate your comments and fully agree that if your religion is the truth, there is no need to tell lies about other faiths to gain adherents to yours. It seems to me that if you believe your faith is the only true religion, concern for others would move you to want to share the good things you enjoy by knowing the truth. If you know someone is eating food or drink that is poisonous and will kill them, would you not at least tell them and present evidence of the harm? Then, if they ignore the warning, that is their responsibility. The Bible commands Christians to share their faith with others. (1 Corinthians 9:16 and Romans 10:10, for example) They do not take it upon themselves to do God's work, but rather are invited to be fellow workers with God. (1 Corinthians 3:9) Love of neighbor and love of God motivates them to share "everlasting good news" with their fellowmen. (Revelation 14:6,7)

Namaste,

You need to stop looking at the surface value and re-read the comments and understand what they (as in we non-Abrahamics) purport.

Regards,
M.V.

Last edited: