• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people troll?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
And I'm not talking about the unintentional trolling or about those who troll the trolls (cause that's just fun). I'm talking about the deliberate trolls, those who go into forums and comments, etc. dedicating time out of their lives to badger, inflame, torment, etc. other people online. Is the power of presumed anonymity largely to blame, is there some other, larger social reason? Why would anyone make trolling a hobby of theirs and why so many that they have their own name to identify them as an entire group of people? How did this become so widespread?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think people just like to stir the pot and get people riled up, you see it in real life too just on a more subtle level.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
They don't fear any physical repercussions since it's over the internet and they are (usually) more or less anonymous, poor self-esteem that they want to make themselves look or feel better by trying to make others feel either angry or sad, and they have nothing better to do with their lives. It's the same with internet tough guys.

Treks

I think they do it out of boredom, for entertainment and fun, for the adrenaline of being in an argument, for attention, or because they're angry/furstrated/jealous.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I think they do it out of boredom, for entertainment and fun, for the adrenaline of being in an argument, for attention, or because they're angry/furstrated/jealous.

possibly. I think the definition of "trolling" isn't very clear, though.
I mean, how do you tell if someone is just a creep if or if they are intentionally trolling...

Treks

I think the difference is a troll clearly has an agenda to cause trouble, in general or in particular threads. A creep is a bit of a low-level troll. They're just interested enough to pass as a regular user. And some people are just like that.

And the green hair is a give-away on trolls. hehehe :p

HonestJoe

I mean, how do you tell if someone is just a creep if or if they are intentionally trolling...
I think the defintion is quite clear - we know what a troll is. The fact it's difficult to tell the difference between an actual troll and an idiot doesn't affect the fundamental definition. There are clear definitions of different types of star for example but they all look pretty much the same in the night sky.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And I'm not talking about the unintentional trolling or about those who troll the trolls (cause that's just fun). I'm talking about the deliberate trolls, those who go into forums and comments, etc. dedicating time out of their lives to badger, inflame, torment, etc. other people online. Is the power of presumed anonymity largely to blame, is there some other, larger social reason? Why would anyone make trolling a hobby of theirs and why so many that they have their own name to identify them as an entire group of people? How did this become so widespread?

Trolling is closely related to sports teams fans hostility. It is born of the combination of a desire (or need) to express violent feelings in a way that still feels safe and (somewhat) honorable.

As such, it does not really have very specific causes. It is just a convenient outlet for pre-existing social weaknesses. Those in turn are caused by out-of-control individualism and an excessively competitive, badly unsupportive social environment.

Solutions?

Having less children and having more of a true commitment to them, as if people they were (they are).

Having more of an extended family mentality.

Attacking the consumer society mentality and creating a bit of social equality.

Letting go of all those legal and illegal drugs that people are actually talking of as being "necessary" with no second thought these days and begin to actually face the emotional needs of each other without masking or postponing them with the chemicals ("natural" and "legal" or otherwise).

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It may be difficult. There is a board out there where people call me a troll because I fail to conform to their expectations about the glory and honor of a certain fictional character.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
It may be difficult. There is a board out there where people call me a troll because I fail to conform to their expectations about the glory and honor of a certain fictional character.

Exactly, it's subjective a lot of the time.

In fact, that happens on a few forums that I know of.

They want to elicit an impassioned reaction from others, usually for fun or out of curiosity. They know & exploit the fact that people usually react more to HOW a person says something vs what they actually say.

I think some may have psychiatric issues or just need attention.

Or they are by nature argumentative and disagreeable and always want to start arguements.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is interesting. Is trolling all evil? It sure sounds like it. If it is true that the whole world lies in the power of the wicked one, which is darkness, someone with a light can very easily be assigned the name troll. And I see it happen all the time.

Any prophet of old is troll (to some), correct?

This is interesting. Is trolling all evil?

If you try to start the argument, or hurt people's feelings with so harsh words, or if you are trying to deceive people with evil intents then I would say that such an action is evil.

Some words can not be taken lightly, and may be harmful, so you should not be trying to use words to hurt people.

It is not only common courtesy but it can be evil too if you have the wrong intent.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you try to start the argument, or hurt people's feelings with so harsh words, or if you are trying to deceive people with evil intents then I would say that such an action is evil.

The only word here that applies to real trolling is "harsh". Many people feel that strong disagreement is "starting an argument" for the sake of hurting feelings. Evil intent is assigned many times to people with strong opinions but evil is not the intent. The intent is to be seen. But if what is being seen is convincing evidence opposed to cherished beliefs the messenger is called evil. I think it is why it is taking the world so very long to find peace. It is because many times the peacemakers are called trolls. And nobody should listen to a troll.