• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people think non-theism and atheism are the same thing?

Erebus

I think beleiving in gods but not worshipping them would be a form of deism, wouldn't it?

That's certainly one possibility. Such a stance could also be the result of misotheism, dystheism and other negative views of gods. A henotheist could arguably fit here too in that they allow for the existence/possibility of other gods besides the one they worship.

To the OP, I have to admit I've pretty much only heard non-theism being used as a synonym for atheism. On occasion I've seen it used to distinguish somebody from the more "new atheist" types, but that's about it.

Jumi

As far as I know, atheism denies any sort of god but there are non-theistic religions like Buddhism and Jainism that not only believe in spirits but also god-like beings. From what I know, non-theism doesn't necessarily mean you disbelief a god. It seems that the idea of gods are either absent in their texts or that they do believe god-like individuals exist, but don't think it's necessary to worship them as they find it irrelevant to their liberation.
As an atheist I believe it's possible that there are more gods than there are particles in the universe. I just don't have any reason as of yet to believe in any of them.

Jumi

Yes, I think it's used by atheists who want to keep a low profile. ;)
Yes, it seems if one identifies as the same type of non-believer using two different terms he will be viewed differently. If we are atheist, certain people think we pray to the atheist gods and worship the atheist saints and martyrs in the name of the atheist ideology. If we are non-theists, people have never heard of them so they will be more welcoming... ;)

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
I've frequently seen agnostics described as non-theists. Wouldn't that would be someone who does not qualify as an atheist being a non-theist?

Not by literal interpretation of definitions.
It's a long fought battle over whether or not agnostics can take a fence sitter position on this.
I subscribe to the detailed definitions, that of which say god belief, and lack there of, form a dichotomy.

A lot of people don't, for some reason I have yet to understand, and try to claim they are a fence sitter.
I don't really think it's that difficult to understand. You either have a God belief, or you lack one.
If you lack a God belief, Atheist. If you have a God belief, Theist.
If you're agnostic you are still subject to this classification, agnostic theist or agnostic atheist.

So, no. I do not qualify an agnostic as being a non-theist without also being atheist.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The prefix "a-" means "not", eg as in "atypical", so atheist means "not-theist".

I can't see any obvious difference between non-theist and not-theist.
In the early days of Wikipedia, they separated them as such:

Non-theists: lack of belief in God.

Atheists: a philosophy of rejecting or disbelieving God.

Something like that. Basically, atheism was a subcategory under non-theism, as was pantheism and other non-theistic views. However, in recent years, atheism has replaced non-theism as the umbrella term for all non-beliefs, or they've become synonymous. There's no term anymore for the philosophical atheism anymore, which is a shame.

Theweirdtophat

As far as I know, non-theism is really used to describe someone who's apathetic towards the concept of god or doesn't mention god. Not mentioning god doesn't mean disbelief. Buddhists aren't considered atheistic and neither is Jainism. They never say there is no god, they just don't talk about it, and technically some do believe in gods but think worshipping them is irrelevant. Even the ones that don't believe in deities believe in spirits and there's not too many atheists that believe in spirits.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
As far as I know, atheism denies any sort of god but there are non-theistic religions like Buddhism and Jainism that not only believe in spirits but also god-like beings. From what I know, non-theism doesn't necessarily mean you disbelief a god. It seems that the idea of gods are either absent in their texts or that they do believe god-like individuals exist, but don't think it's necessary to worship them as they find it irrelevant to their liberation.

So why do people think these two terms are the same thing when they clearly aren't?
Atheism merely means without theism.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Different folks understand the terms in different ways is all. I don't regard them as synonyms. Others do. Doesn't really matter one way or another... just clarify your terms when you talk with people.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
A doctrine with a god being absent doesn't mean disbelief. It's closer towards apathy rather than rejection. Atheism rejects it. Non-theism, it's up to the individual, but it's usually apathetic.
Again, "atheism" doesn't mean "rejection" ... it merely means without or absent of theism. So, anyone who doesn't believe in any deities can rightly be classified under the very general term "atheist".

You are thinking of "strong atheism", which adheres to the belief that God does not and/or cannot exist. Most prominent atheists (Krauss, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, etc.) openly admit that they don't "believe God doesn't exist", but, instead, see God as an unsubstantiated concept. In other words, they don't see a reason to believe that God exists.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I shall have to be these things on a rota basis I suppose:

Atheist on a Monday
Non-theist on a Tuesday
Ignostic on a Wednesday
Apatheist for the rest of the week ( if I can be arsed by then ). :p

Demonslayer

I can't see any obvious difference between non-theist and not-theist.

"T"

What do I win?

A doctrine with a god being absent doesn't mean disbelief. It's closer towards apathy rather than rejection. Atheism rejects it.

This is false, and a result of today's pushback by theists against the rapid increase of atheism.

The word atheist describes someone who doesn't believe in God or Gods. The idea of "active rejection" has nothing to do with it. It's something that theists are inventing to describe the more outspoken atheists. There is no difference between someone who deosn't believe in God but doesn't care much about the subject, and someone who doesn't believe in God but is aggrivated by religion. They are both atheists.

Not that there aren't activist atheists these days, because there certainly are. I believe some refer to themselves as "anti-theists."

Theweirdtophat

Again, "atheism" doesn't mean "rejection" ... it merely means without or absent of theism. So, anyone who doesn't believe in any deities can rightly be classified under the very general term "atheist".

You are thinking of "strong atheism", which adheres to the belief that God does not and/or cannot exist. Most prominent atheists (Krauss, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, etc.) openly admit that they don't "believe God doesn't exist", but, instead, see God as an unsubstantiated concept. In other words, they don't see a reason to believe that God exists.

I hear they use non-theism because atheism is derogatory. If that's the case why are there people that still call themselves atheists? Of course people will get agnosticism confused with atheism too? Why have two different terms if they are supposed to mean the same thing. No one calls Buddhists atheists even though an atheist can be a Buddhist, but some branches believe gods exist but don't feel they should worship them because they don't see the gods as better as humans and don't deserve worship or they find it irrelevant to liberation. So what do you call that then? It's hard to call Buddhists atheists anyway, even if some Buddhist don't believe in gods, many believe in spirits and many atheists don't don't believe in them.

There's sites and books saying non-theism doesn't necessarily mean disbelief either.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I hear they use non-theism because atheism is derogatory. If that's the case why are there people that still call themselves atheists? Of course people will get agnosticism confused with atheism too? Why have two different terms if they are supposed to mean the same thing. No one calls Buddhists atheists even though an atheist can be a Buddhist, but some branches believe gods exist but don't feel they should worship them because they don't see the gods as better as humans and don't deserve worship or they find it irrelevant to liberation. So what do you call that then? It's hard to call Buddhists atheists anyway, even if some Buddhist don't believe in gods, many believe in spirits and many atheists don't don't believe in them.

There's sites and books saying non-theism doesn't necessarily mean disbelief either.
Agnosticism is the belief that knowledge of God is not possible. It isn't mutually exclusive to atheism or theism. There are agnostic theists and agnostic atheists.

Theweirdtophat

LOL. Atheism isn't a derogatory term, you've got some strange ideas.

Because they don't believe in God and its the accurate word to use to define that.

Please read what I wrote. I said I HEAR they use that term. How is it my idea if I say I HEAR that others say it?

I don't see how lack of belief translates to rejection of God.