• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people tell others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why are we humans so good at telling others they are wrong?

How can we be so certain that our own belief is the only right one?

What if it is our own belief that turn out to be the wrong one? How would you explain that to people you been so stubborn toward when you said their beliefs was wrong.

Because is it evolutionarily advantageous to be better at seeing other people's errors than out own, and to be able to use this to enhance our status.

Self-deception helps us be more confident in our beliefs so we can be better at persuading others we are right.

We are so certain because we are irrational and our brains blind us to contradictory evidence on any issue we are emotionally attached to.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I would ask why do we see that all God given Faiths are correct.

Baha'u'llah offer we this,

".... Indeed thou didst grasp the significance of rendering assistance unto God and didst arise to achieve this through the power of wisdom and utterance. Say: To assist Me is to teach My Cause. This is a theme with which whole Tablets are laden. This is the changeless commandment of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Comprehend this, O ye men of insight. They that have passed beyond the bounds of wisdom fail to understand the meaning of assisting God as set forth in the Book...."

God asks us to tell others, in doing that, we cannot know what the reaction will be.

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Easy. c'est moi.

What if it is our own belief that turn out to be the wrong one?

Eh?

How would you explain that to people you been so stubborn toward when you said their beliefs was wrong.

No need, I'm right anyway.

Joking aside, a belief is a belief, built on faith without evidence. One can never (in all likelihood) show it to be wrong unless
valid, falsifiable evidence is available. All you can do is provid that evidence.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What if it is our own belief that turn out to be the wrong one? How would you explain that to people you been so stubborn toward when you said their beliefs was wrong.
If they are so good at it, then there might be something to it?

At the end of the day, it's for you to decide for yourself anyway.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Ego.

Kind of a loaded question, no? The question assumes I'm stubborn about what I believe and that I've told others they are wrong.

I don't tell others they are wrong about what the believe unless their beliefs stand in opposition to what is objectively evident and are imposed upon me. Even then, I see no point in arguing about it. People have a right to be wrong.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

If you are so worried about it, and consistently so, why are you on a religious forum, that is, by its very nature, focused on debating beliefs?

I would go to some place where everyone agrees with you, and you all pat your shoulders for agreeing between each other.

Ciao

- viole

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you are so worried about it, and consistently so, why are you on a religious forum, that is, by its very nature, focused on debating beliefs?

I would go to some place where everyone agrees with you, and you all pat your shoulders for agreeing between each other.

Ciao

- viole
The OP is not about me

HonestJoe

I think it's typically well intentioned, even when factually wrong or flawed, a social instinct to prevent people from doing things that could be harmful or offering information that could be beneficial. How people do it might not always be as constructive as it could be of course.

I can only speak for myself but I always accept my benefits and opinions could be wrong, but I try to base them of evidence and logic and only seek to assert as much confidence as that evidence supports, so I'm as comfortable as I can be with them. If (when!) further evidence later proves me wrong, I'll aim to accept it and apologise to anyone I potentially misled as appropriate.

MikeF

Premium Member
What others believe is their business not mine :)
Unless what others believe impacts you directly. What people believe affects the way they behave, the choices they make, the values they hold, and above all, the laws that get passed that affect all members of society.

Beliefs have consequences.

InvestigateTruth

Maybe because it is desirable to feel superiority. When we say others are wrong, it feels good to us, because in this way we are degrading others and we think we are better. Well, maybe this is one motivation.

But on the other hand, I think people should have freedom of expression. So, they are free to say, this religion is false or that belief is false. I would get offended if someone said that about my beliefs. After all it is only words.

A Vestigial Mote

I think I have said this many, many times before... and I know for a fact you have asked questions very close to this in meaning and intent many times before... but in the end, I don't know that any god-believer's beliefs are "wrong." I don't know this.

What I can come to know, however, is that a particular believer does not possess any compelling evidence that should sway me to their beliefs. And when I understand that they do not have such evidence, then I become concerned for others - that those others might be deceived by evidence that should not be considered sufficient, because they may not have come to an expectation of how important the evidence should be for something as important as a claim of "god exists."

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What if it is our own belief that turn out to be the wrong one?
Some are definitely wrong. As some other people also have said, I will change it according to evidence. That is how I became an atheist.
No problem there. I am not a slave to my belief.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Unless what others believe impacts you directly. What people believe affects the way they behave, the choices they make, the values they hold, and above all, the laws that get passed that affect all members of society.

Beliefs have consequences.
They dont affect me.

exchemist

Veteran Member

You go to them and say: "It seems I was wrong." What's the difficulty? People are often wrong.

The person who is prepared to say when he or she is wrong is, in my experience, the person whose opinion you can most safely rely on.;)

But if what you are referring to is religious belief, surely the problem there is there is no way to determine whether such beliefs are right or wrong, so I can't see how the situation would ever arise.