• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people take illegal drugs?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well my take, being the freedom hating bigot that I obviously am. :D

When I was young and vulnerable to such, I was most often on my own when I might have encountered recreational drugs - the clubs and festivals which I attended - and I obviously did recognise the faint whiff of something in the air, and being different from the cigarette flavours current then, so perhaps that alone (besides being a bit of an introvert) was enough for me not to get started on such. None of my friends seemed to partake either, other than cigarette smoking and which I tried to get them to stop. I did read some material discussing the various drugs but I reasoned that my brain was perhaps worth more to me 'as was' than being altered by unknown chemicals sold by some dealer who might not have been accredited with any pharmaceutical company and who had profit mostly in mind. :eek:

I've never really been tempted either, with just one person I was friends with having taken LSD and recounting his experiences, and the prospect of wasting money as so many do on cigarettes being possible, why on earth would I? I've had enough highs whilst doing all my physical activities, with the risks mostly known and accepted.

But then I am probably just a killjoy. :p

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's not exaggerate.
There must be a reason why vodka is legal...wherras cocaine is not.

Just for some historical perspective: Cocaine abuse in North America: a milestone in history - PubMed (nih.gov)

Abstract
The euphoric effects of coca leaves have been known to mankind for thousands of years. Yet the first epidemic of cocaine use in America occurred during the late 19th century. Initially, there were no laws restricting the consumption or sale of cocaine. In fact, cocaine was freely available in drug stores, saloons, from mail-order vendors, and even in grocery stores. It is reported that one drug manufacturer, in 1885, was selling cocaine in 15 different forms, including cigarettes, cheroots, inhalants, cordials, crystals, and solutions. Many famous imported wines, such as "Vin Mariani," contained a mixture of wine and coca. For consumers on budgets, the wonder drug was available as Coca-Cola and dozens of other soda pops and pick-me-up drinks. One of them even had a simple and direct name, Dope. Soon enough, the ill effects of cocaine became apparent, and by the 1920s cocaine was the most feared of all illicit drugs. Most states began enacting laws against cocaine use. President William Taft proclaimed cocaine as Public Enemy No. 1, and in 1914 the Congress passed the Harrison act, which tightly regulated the distribution and sale of cocaine. By the late 1950s, cocaine use in the United States was simply considered a problem in the past. Unfortunately, the people who were aware of the nation's first cocaine epidemic gradually passed away, and America once again was ready for its fling with cocaine in the 1960s. Today, it is estimated that upwards of 50 million Americans, that is one in four, have used cocaine. In addition, another fifty thousand people use this substance for the first time each day. More than 6 million Americans use cocaine on a regular basis. Little wonder, then, that America as well as the other countries have declared a "War on Drugs." In this review, pharmacology of cocaine, major complications arising from its use, and efforts to curb its abuse are discussed.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Let's not exaggerate.
There must be a reason why vodka is legal...wherras cocaine is not.
Those are often historical reasons, sometimes related to racism, or the lawmakers of the time favouring one drug. Marijuana was made illegal in America because Hearst thought hemp would compete with his paper industry. It had nothing to do with hallucinogenic qualities. He lobbied hard and long against it. Today marijuana is legal in many places. It's complicated. Some nasty drugs have yet to make the FDA lists. Does that mean they're safe?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes but accepted in pleasant society so it is ok!
In moderation, for most people, yes. But for the personality types prone to addiction, or to violence when on it, no way. Withdrawal from booze is harder on the body than withdrawal from heroin. Think extreme delirium tremors. The booze industry, somehow has gotten a free ride, unlike the more dangerous common legal one, tobacco.

Justanatheist

In moderation, for most people, yes. But for the personality types prone to addiction, or to violence when on it, no way. Withdrawal from booze is harder on the body than withdrawal from heroin. Think extreme delirium tremors. The booze industry, somehow has gotten a free ride, unlike the more dangerous common legal one, tobacco.
Because it is accepted in polite society, watch someones face and watch them bristle when you accuse them of being a drug user because they drink alcohol. By the way a friend of mine came out of rehab 2 weeks a go after three months.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Because it is accepted in polite society, watch someones face and watch them bristle when you accuse them of being a drug user because they drink alcohol. By the way a friend of mine came out of rehab 2 weeks a go after three months.
Going to say the same about coffee or tea? I doubt those who just have a glass of wine with a meal are likely to need rehab. :oops:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I really don't want to sound harsh...but...
Once a friend of mine smoked marijuana in front of me.
The smell was utterly horrible. The worst smell I have ever smelled in my entire life.

Vodka tastes good. Grappa tastes good.
These are personal opinions...of course.

Last edited:

Justanatheist

Going to say the same about coffee or tea? I doubt those who just have a glass of wine with a meal are likely to need rehab. :oops:
And those who enjoy a occasional spliff or tote of cocaine are going to need rehab, how do you think it started for her a few glasses of wine, if you have an adictive personality it does not take much. Alcohol can destroy lives.

Justanatheist

I really don't want to sound hatsh...but...
Once a friend of mine smoked marijuana in front of me.
The smell was utterly horrible. The worst smell I have ever smelled in my entire life.

Vodka tastes good. Grappa tastes good.
These are personal opinions...of course.
Why do you use drugs like alcohol?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And those who enjoy a occasional spliff or tote of cocaine are going to need rehab, how do you think it started for her a few glasses of wine, if you have an adictive personality it does not take much. Alcohol can destroy lives.
Addictive personality is the issue, not the means by which they get their fix, in my view. I know I haven't got such with my alcohol use - never was an issue when I was drinking with my mates since we didn't binge drink, and I have had periods when I gave up completely because I just couldn't afford it. Unfortunately now I can - although not the most expensive wines. :D

Justanatheist

Addictive personality is the issue, not the means by which they get their fix, in my view. I know I haven't got such with my alcohol use - never was an issue when I was drinking with my mates since we didn't binge drink, and I have had periods when I gave up completely because I just couldn't afford it. Unfortunately now I can - although not the most expensive wines. :D
I have never drank much alcohol do not like the effects, never had a problem with other drug use either.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have never drank much alcohol do not like the effects, never had a problem with other drug use either.
Well most of my drinking as a youth was with a small group of friends, no more than four of us usually, and hence it was mostly only four pints of beer over an evening whilst we chatted sat in some local. None of us would have regarded ourselves as incapable on such occasions, and the only times I have had too much was on special occasions and when I probably started drinking too early. And I think this often accounts for why so many do get drunk, especially females who might not tolerate as much alcohol as males or just tend to drink shots or other stuff. At least beer takes time to drink. Although being in a beer-drinking team at college I found I could down a pint in about seven seconds. :oops: Aiming to get pissed is just asking for trouble, male or female. :oops:

Justanatheist

Well most of my drinking as a youth was with a small group of friends, no more than four of us usually, and hence it was mostly only four pints of beer over an evening whilst we chatted sat in some local. None of us would have regarded ourselves as incapable on such occasions, and the only times I have had too much was on special occasions and when I probably started drinking too early. And I think this often accounts for why so many do get drunk, especially females who might not tolerate as much alcohol as males or just tend to drink shots or other stuff. At least beer takes time to drink. Although being in a beer-drinking team at college I found I could down a pint in about seven seconds. :oops: Aiming to get pissed is just asking for trouble, male or female. :oops:

For thirty years I supplemented my income by working on the door a couple of nights a week in nightclubs in Newquay Cornwall, I could right a book about the effects of alcohol and drug use, seen it all. Students week was the worse when all the students would come down from London and such areas, what would annoy me was often we would have outraged parents with posh voices telling us how unfair it was of us to of thrown out or not allowed in little johnny just because he had thrown up everywhere and started fights. We had a zero tolerance policy so people who looked drunk or off their heads never came in, full stop.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's heartbreaking to start this thread.:cry:
Because I would like to empathize with these people and analyze their plight, psychologically speaking.
I will not be judgmental at all.
I just want to try to understand.
They like getting high. Not much else.